Your favorite books? | Page 3 | Squat the Planet

Your favorite books?

BusGypsy

Reaction score
A Song of Ice and Fire series
I've read every book at least once, most twice. I'm obsessed with the intricacies of the storylines.

Oddy

Reaction score
Just for enjoyable reading, the entire discworld series by Terry Pratchett. All his characters could be someone you will meet/ have met on the road.

Mj23

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
In chronological order

Aldous Huxley's doors of perception, William Blake's marriage of heaven and hell, Goeth's faust, Fredrich Nietzsche's birth of tragedy, Robert Anton Wilson's prometheus rising, Ramon Sender's seven red sundays, Barbara Meyhoff's peyote hunt, Herman Melville's moby dick, Leopold von Sacher-Masoch's legacy of cain, Walt Whitman's leaves of grass, Celine's journey to the end of the night, Isabel Fonseca's bury me standing, Octavio Paz's labyrinth of solitude, Dominique Lapierre's or I'll clothe you in mourning, William Bateson's ecology of mind, Eric Fromm's selected works of karl marx, PKD's we can build you, Bukowski's women, Jorge Borges' collected nonfictions, Lawrence Durrell's black book, Henry Miller's black spring and both tropics, Ernest Hemmingway's for whom the bell tolls, old man and the sea and a sun also rises, Fernando Pessoa's book of disquiet, Cormac McCarthy's blood meridian and suttree, William Faulkner's the sound and the fury and as I lay dying, Kahlil Gibran's the prophet, Kurt Vonneguts cat's cradle, Garcia Marquez's autumn of the patriarch.

Forgot Ed Abbey's desert solitaire, Terry Mort's reasonable art of fly fishing, and of course all of Poe's short stories.

Sartre's no exit was good, too. And Dostoyevsky of course, but then georg lucaks or bifo berardi or nokolai golgol and pushkin's works would have to be brought up as well as a host of others... not so lifechanging as the above, though.

Was very surprising to see Henry Miller already mentioned here, browsing up after posting. Almost nobody I bump into has even heard of him, and yes black spring was terrific, and would totally recommend his greece travelogue as well 'collussus'.

Last edited:

Older Than Dirt

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
The Sheep Look Up by John Brunner, amazing '60s science fiction about future eco-disaster, and resistance- the Trainites are like if dirty kids or Philly MOVE had actual political traction. Pretty much describes modern America, except overoptimistic about humanity's chances of survival (& it is not an optimistic book)

You Can't Win by "Jack Black", 1920s autiobiography of crime and riding the rails on the lam from the law. Anyone on this site will LOVE this book.

Discipline and Punish by Michel Foucault- somewhat hard to read but amazing history of how and why we all live in prison in the modern world. Reading this book led me, at the time a bike messenger and weed dealer, to get a PhD and have a career as a scientist studying drugs and crime (that i'm now retired from).

And also, like others here, Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas, Down And Out In Paris And London, Naked Lunch (and Junkie by burroughs)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24782

You Can't Win by "Jack Black", 1920s autiobiography of crime and riding the rails on the lam from the law. Anyone on this site will LOVE this book.

10 or so years ago, there was talk of this being made into a movie, big actors too. Producer was actually trying to cast some real hobo/street kid types, some of my friends actually, I don't know what happened, the movie didn't go anywhere as far as I know.

SaltyCrew

∆-FLY LOW-∆
Reaction score
Ya'll got a great list going here! It's awesome to see we all read similar literature, to be expected here of course. I have read tons of the books/authors here, and I highly recommend anyone want to geek out on a great selection, go to the Lizzard Tree Library. I will try highlighting some of my more memorable reads, the ones that had something to say worth while, IMO;
Great Classic Stuff
-Vonnegut, Orwell, Stienbeck, Huxley, Kessel, "A clockwork Orange" by Anthony Burgess
Anti-war stuff
- Jonny got his gun, A day in the life of Ivan Dennisovich, We the living, Slaughterhouse Five,
Inspiring adventure biography type?
- Indian Creek Chronicles, into the wild, The man who quit money (Daniel Suelo story) , the tarnished shooter, to be frank Diego ,
My personal favorite
- Ayn Rand is probably my favorite author. I didn't see any of her work listed here. So I will;
- Atlas Shrugged (1957)
-Fountainhead (1943)
- Anthem (1937)
- We the Living (1936)

I tried listing some I didn't see already listed, I hope this continues to grow!

Last edited:

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score

T Paradise

Reaction score
10 or so years ago, there was talk of this being made into a movie, big actors too. Producer was actually trying to cast some real hobo/street kid types, some of my friends actually, I don't know what happened, the movie didn't go anywhere as far as I know.
It was made into a movie, said to be released this year.

tchavers

Reaction score
Walden on Wheels by Ken Ilgunas is the book that got me excited about hitting the road while sleeping in the van and looking in to "alternative" styles of travel.

Into the Wild and A Walk in the Woods, both are common re-reads from me too.

• Agree
Reactions: Skit

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score
I just finished reading Peace Pilgrim. WOW. She is one of the most inspiring people I've ever read about. Totally makes me want to do more for people. Daniel Suelo is another amazing human being who writes some very thought provoking material.

Reactions: Juan Derlust

SmokinToes

Reaction score
Favorite book might be a short but good one: I am Legend. Far surpasses the movie (although I think the movie was good in its own right.)

Life changing? A little thick book (one of many but the most common) called The Wiccan Bible. I'm not Wiccan but its got a lot of good practices and eye opening entries.

BradKajukenbo

Reaction score
I think my favorite book was the one I read while I was in Jail in Missouri.

Nathan's Run by John Gilstrap

Its about a 12 year old who escapes Juvenile Hall but has a hitman after him.

xjamestravisx

Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Not sure what I’d consider to be my life changing books. When I was younger, Sartre’s writing got my brain working with Philosophy. I tend to read fiction, though. Anne Rice’s Memnoch the Devil definitely impacted the way I look at/feel about religion. Watchmen was highly influential to me. Early-mid 20th Century Weird Fiction is my favorite thing to read.

I think the best book I’ve read as an adult was Carson McCuller’s The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. It’s essentially about moral isolation in a deep southern town in the 30s. Lots of talk on labor and race issues, loss and growth.

scutellaria

Reaction score
Mutant Message Down Under - marlo morgan
The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test - Tom Wolfe
The Way of Zen - Allan Watts
-- these three books i read when i was like 17 and 18 and were kinda like the first exposure i had to ideas about living and consciousness, etc that were different from what i grew up with as the norm. definitely are reasons my life went the way it did. i started travelling within the year.

Decolonizing Transgender 101 - b. binaohan
this is a book i read a few years ago when my understanding of white supremacy and colonialism were kinda cementing with the basic anarchism id been exposed to while also going through ""transitioning"" or whatever and really tied everything together for me

also super stoked to hear about the you can't win movie. gonna have to keep an eye out for it.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads