you get paid to live in alaska?

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
yeah arrow maybe ya know something about this... i remember reading once the state of alaska gets so much $ in oil revenues that they don't tax 'em-but instead pay every resident 1500 bucks a year once they've lived there for at least a year
does this still happen? if so, i got a freind who's got a friend in anchorage, we're fukking HEADING! plus you get food stamps that kick on on week2.....

spoorprint

Reaction score
It's become a bad habit for me.I'll be going up for my fourth summer doing canning mostly 'cause I don't know what else to do (Ohio was dead before it died).
But the salmon runs have been declining, and crabs were down last year too-at least in the inside passage.

I love hiking in the Tongass, though the muskeg (wet ground cover) makes that tough,
and its better kayak country (not my thing). But I have no clue how to make a living up
there- so I always come back in the fall.

dharmabum

Reaction score
curbscore said:
But I have no clue how to make a living up
there- so I always come back in the fall.
no idea how make a living? any f**king way you can. wash dishes in Los Anchorage. do the slime line out in Dutch. you are the one who makes the decision. it's all how much you really want to stay. there isn't anyone here who hasn't had to take some shit job just to hang tough for the winter. so what? if you really want to make it here, you do whatever it takes. it's all up to you.

dharmabum

Reaction score
Great! Experience counts on your dishwasher resume. Just joking - but the point remains the same. I mean, when you're done sliming or whatever, do you look around for greenhorn gigs where commercial fishing is still going good, or do you just quit and go home? Salmon goes thru late September in some places. Have you ever even tried a local Job Service office at the end of the season to see what's available? How much do you need to live if your home is a van in Anchorage? What kind of lifestyle? Sorry, I'm not trying to rank on you, but if you want to stay, you'll stay. "Lifestyle" excuse is pure bullshit. There is no 'lifestyle' in Alaska. You either stay or go. If you slime all summer, you have a pretty good grubstake. Alaska is nor like the rest of the country and if you really want to make it here, you'll find a way. Squat a derelict boat in Sitka or Ketch.
Whatever. Join the club. Everyone who has ever migrated here has had to pay some dues - lots of them. Like written before, the choice is yours.

menu

Reaction score
Im pretty sure WY is the same way. you get paid to live there too.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
you've got to live there for at least 2 years i believe... usually the check comes out in october it's anywhere from 1,000-2,000 dollars. but after you've lived there for a couple years, you are only required to stay there 6 months out of the year to keep your eligibility.....unless it's changed from when i lived there. and yes they do check to make sure you've lived there but they don't do elaborate checks on everyone so maybe you can get away with somethin?

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Rolling, empty boxcars to Sioux Falls, South Dakot
Website
www.youtube.com
Yep!
The 13 times I have been up to Alaska, I never was there long enough to acquire the "Divedend Check"
It's usually around $980.00 (give or take a few dollars) each year that each person gets, but you have to have lived there for one full year first, then you have to apply for it and wait then almost a year before you get the check when they all get issued/mailed out!
I believe 2003 was the highest amount ever paid through the divedend check and that was about $1,250.00. "Arrowinore" could probably tell you the exact amount it was then, but if you are wanting to go up there and work for a summer, or think you can just go up there and get paid,.....This will not ever happen.
As far as Wyoming,........I have never heard of a check there and I lived near Greybull long enough I believe I would have heard something about it, but never heard about a check there. ?Could be though?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads