you ever just walked | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

you ever just walked

DregeDE

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Swear this is an old thread. I posted in something just like this a couple of years ago.
Living the housie life the past few months I wonder if I still got it. I had a breakup with my GF last week, walked all day partialy for lack of bus fair (no transfers) Walked about 10 miles, just purging her. We're back together . . . .
When my bike was stolen last month I walked the to and from, to and from home and work (split shift) 2.4 miles each way, 4 trips a day, 3 days a week. no problem, my old worn tattered road boots - I was so glad I didn't trash them when I went cold turky from the road earlier this year.
Word to the wise NEVER THROW YOUR ROAD BOOTS OUT!!!! New boots suck monkey nutbags!!!

Reactions: Lobo AD

Lobo AD

Reaction score
40 miles with my dog one day
lee county to wake county (Raleigh, NC)
three counties over
good way to start the new year
stapled a sign with the NC State logo to my pack..
Got NO ride the whole way
and i thought the red sign with silver paint glitter was a good idead..
even reconized one driver later in Raleigh..
still was good

Cristian

Reaction score
i walked from victorville to just before barstow once. was almost 30 miles. i just felt like walking - walked all day and thru most of the night. then i got caught in this wicked ass windstorm just as i got there at like 4 in the morning. huge ass tumbleweeds whipping across the road...i actually was a little scared for my life then. my legs were sore for a week after that
LMFAO! i remember when you did that. u were crazy mo' fuckuh

bryanpaul

Reaction score
this is'nt my story......but i was at the greyhound station in tallahassee last spring and met these kids with packs.....turns out we had a mutual freind they knew from Michigan.............anyway, they had walked(aside from a couple short rides) from Jacksonville to Tallahassee!......that's like almost 200 miles of a desolate godforsaken strech of highway with not a whole lot of towns or pit-stops.......i was impressed

bradbradidea

Reaction score
you ever walk 10 or 12 15 miles then immediately turn around and go back? a woman at a shelter asked me one time are you ever goingto be done wandering? why do you just wander? i said because im jewish
last time i was in cali i walked from anaheim to fullerton and ending getting a bus ticket bought for me but it was leaving from anaheim so i did some backtracking, probably ended up a littleover 20 miles. it wasnt bad but my foot got kind of fucked up from having too heavey of a pack.

Drizzle

Reaction score
Walked all day and night from Boone, NC to Asheville. Aside from 3 short rides (maybe 20mi in all) Quite a hike through the mountains, beautiful views though. A pack of dogs chased me for half a mile, got searched by some cops who thought I robbed a local pawn shop for 9 guns. They ended up being one of the short rides out of their county. Cleared 30 miles overnight and 30 more once I woke up after a short nap.

a197120

Reaction score
Farthest I ever walked was from alpine Wyoming to evanston. I think like 100 miles? Took me and my road dog like a week. Got housed up by a few Mormons along the way on some sick ranches in the star valley and finally got a ride to green river where we decided hitchin' with the two of us just wasn't a good idea. Hopped out that night.

Withoutatrace

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I knew a tramp once. He walked 12 miles a day, and kept going for six months.
Winter time he slept under a bridge and lived off the mission.
My experience is, I can walk, but my feet have to be hard, otherwise after ten miles I have blisters.

Kate Westcoast

Reaction score
Website
evencowgirlsgetthepoops.tumblr.com
The longest distance i walked was 46km in one day. Agazzi to Mission BC. Only did it twice. But for fun every saterday i'd walk 36km from Chilliwack to the Hot Springs, while i was still trying to bide my time in high school. Gotta get that adventure fix somehow. Soon as i graduated i gained the thumb.

Reactions: daveycrockett

technotrash

Reaction score
i took a 3-day walk from calais, maine to bangor (about 100 miles) one time. no luck with rides and just kept at it. funny thing is, i walked past this rock that had "GOOD LUCK" spraypainted on it. felt like an omen. it was kind of nice though, when it started getting late i'd just pop into the woods and set up camp.
thinking of trying to hike the appalachian trail next year. that falls under this category i think.

skitter

Reaction score
about 17-21 miles from San Luis Obispo to the other side of Pismo Beach/Grover Beach/Oceano wherever the FUCK, taking some goofy ass backroads. Wouldn't have been so bad just walking, but I had a pack and my quail in a bok choi box I carried with a hydraulic strap + dog food + random crap I don't need.

Reaction score
or, whats the longest youve walked in one day, or in one trip?
From Moxie Bald mountain pond in me. on the at to abbot superette I road walked because the river fords were crazy and I already had to do three of them to get there then got to topish of bald mtn and there was still knee deep snow so turned around and camped til the next day and yeah that sucked I was outta food so I got up early at like 6 and didnt make my destination til like 630ish i figure bout 40 +/- This was like two weeks ago oh and I got my feet wet so I had blisters all over sucked bad still kinda recovering from that plus i also walked 8-10mi. the two days prior Fuck the Appalachian Trail oh I almost forgot I had a fourty pound pack when I left home so.. yeah fuck military sleep systems too and 95 L packs for that matter I thinkI might have really died but I am not sure

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score
Walked on the AT from springer mtn, ga to Damascus Va. Before I got to VA, there was this thing called the "Damascus challenge"...
Start hiking at PA-MA border, hike until you get to damascus VA (about 44 miles) in a 24 hour period.
So the farthest I've done in one day would be just over 40 miles, but this was up and down mountains with several days of food, 1-3 liters of water, and a 25-30 lb pack (depending on how much food/water I carried at the moment).

Ping Pong

Reaction score
John Francis was the man who inspired me to begin my adventuring. I first watched this TED video on youtube: and then I read his book called Planet Walker. He walked and sailed for nearly 3 decades, and 17 years of that he was silent.... pretty fucking amazing if you ask me!!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads