You don't need shit, a change in mentality | Squat the Planet

You don't need shit, a change in mentality

THE REAL SCAVENGER

Reaction score
I once went 9 months and spent somewhere around $50, I spent money on shit I didn't need.

I've had zero dollars six times on this bicycle tour that I'm currently on (I'm approaching 6,000 miles)

I've never felt like I needed anything. I've also almost died a few times in my life. Had a few sleepless nights. It begs the question; what do you need?

People ask me this all the time. I tell them, I don't need anything, ever, if I start thinking you can give me something I need, then I'll need you, and it will create a huge inbalance in my energy, as well as maybe I'll start thinking you owe me something, which no one does. If it is truly a gift, people expect nothing in return. Giving is a gift in itsself.

People need food, shelter, sleep, and water. Not having these things for a little while will not kill you, but it might make your mental illness come out, in various forms.

If you don't have shelter and it's raining, all you gotta do is not sleep, walk around, and you won't die. This has happened to me several times in my life. I am a master at losing things I thought I needed, and then I learned to survive without them, I found out don't *need* them and I never did.

I am currently rolling with two signs. One says "be kind," and the other says "rode here from Oregon." When people ask me if I need anything, I tell them, no I never need anything really, but if you want to give me something would appreciate the gift, but you just talking to me is good enough in itself.

This is a diss to all the gutter punks who yell at people for not giving them money or wahtever. Be more self reliant and use what you have, I promise you will find more happinesses in life needing less.

Attachments

• 15455782160391303730596434043787.jpg
    15455782160391303730596434043787.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 1,842
Last edited:
Reaction score
Well said, people have a huge ability for adjusting to their situation.
No money for food? dumpster dive or steal from a big supermarket
No big supermarket? Learn what you can about wild edibles
99% of the time there is something you can do to keep moving if you put your mind to it, and if you'll keep that in mind you'll find yourself handing out gifts to others you never knew you had

T Paradise

Reaction score
Im skeptical. You made those signs for a reason. You may not be directly asking for something but you know that will certainly prompt some people to give you things.
That's what I thought, those signs don't really fit the described spirit. Then I saw the picture of the bike, with that much gear on it people would approach without signs anyway probably.
You sure carry a lot of stuff for someone who doesn't need shit haha.

Reactions: troublefunk

THE REAL SCAVENGER

Reaction score
Im skeptical. You made those signs for a reason. You may not be directly asking for something but you know that will certainly prompt some people to give you things.
This isn't to say I look down upon people who fly signs or whatever, if that's you're thing, cool, just get it out your head that you need what you are asking for, there are other ways to find it. Most of my friends that fly signs for a living, it really don't matter, all I'm saying is just, you don't need people, and self reliance is cooler than depending on people

THE REAL SCAVENGER

Reaction score
Whatever, I don't rely on people, before I had signs, less people talked to me, I almost got hit by cars more, and I feel like people were more apt to steal from me. I kinda wish people would give me less. I left Nashville with like 16 toothbrushes, a ridiculous amount of food and 7 jackets. Slowly still giving all that to people who need it. Whatever critisisms oyu have of me, I'm sure they are valid in some sense, and quite honestly, I ain't too worried about shit, I'd even hang with you probably and talk about it
That's what I thought, those signs don't really fit the described spirit. Then I saw the picture of the bike, with that much gear on it people would approach without signs anyway probably.
You sure carry a lot of stuff for someone who doesn't need shit haha.

THE REAL SCAVENGER

Reaction score
The one thing I feel like I am entitled to is eye contact and the acknowledgement that I am a human, be kind kinda helps I think. I've had a lot of people treat me like I don't exist when I ask for directions which can get old.
This isn't to say I look down upon people who fly signs or whatever, if that's you're thing, cool, just get it out your head that you need what you are asking for, there are other ways to find it. Most of my friends that fly signs for a living, it really don't matter, all I'm saying is just, you don't need people, and self reliance is cooler than depending on people

T Paradise

Reaction score
Whatever, I don't rely on people, before I had signs, less people talked to me, I almost got hit by cars more, and I feel like people were more apt to steal from me. I kinda wish people would give me less. I left Nashville with like 16 toothbrushes, a ridiculous amount of food and 7 jackets. Slowly still giving all that to people who need it. Whatever critisisms oyu have of me, I'm sure they are valid in some sense, and quite honestly, I ain't too worried about shit, I'd even hang with you probably and talk about it
I don't have any criticism really, your geared up bike just wasn't what I was expecting at all after reading your post.

Reactions: THE REAL SCAVENGER

THE REAL SCAVENGER

Reaction score
I don't have any criticism really, your geared up bike just wasn't what I was expecting at all after reading your post.
Nothing wrong with having more than u need just reazling what you need and want as two separate things. I also suuuuck at packing, I carry around 40 pounds all together not too much but I love books and playing music

Reactions: Juan Derlust

Dunedrifter

Reaction score
I agree that we really don’t need much/most shit, but we’re all guilty (to some degree) of wanting and needing certain things, e.g. a bike, shoes, water, etc. It’s admirable, and I commend you for being on the extremely less materialistic end of the spectrum; it’s truly where we all need to move towards, and where I am contstantly striving to get to.

Less is more. Peace.

watergiver

Reaction score
baltimore, Maryland...or BodyMore Murderland
what you shared reminds me of what eye view true wealth as.

true wealth is not in gaining loads of paper money units or material possessions but for me, true wealth is knowing how not only to survive but to thrive with nothing

Kate Westcoast

Reaction score
Website
evencowgirlsgetthepoops.tumblr.com
Having a sign or not, a geared up bicycle is a statement to those who chose to live a very different life compared to the ones on this forum. Having a sign like that just helps you not having to repeat yourself to every single person who inquires. From my experience as well, traveling by bicycle gave me more positive experiences with strangers than walking / hitch hiking, because a bicycle is something most people can understand. Most people have had that thought while riding a bicycle, what if i didn't have to turn around? What would happen if I just kept riding totally unprepared? Less people have the courage to actually find out.

Keep the pedal to the medal and the rubber on the road.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads