Year around Community in Slab City

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katbastard

weather has in been the 80's all week, today its 84 degress, by next friday it will be 100 again. thanks for the advice. i have been coming out here for 7 years now, i know all the true slabbers and alot of the snow birds alike. its a nice place if you are a good person, it can be not a safe place if your a douche bag. the community here is hit or miss, so that is why we are making our own community. come check out out, if your bored give us a hand.

Reaction score
We usually wait until around October to head back out. During the hot seasons, we travel up above sea level to stay outta the extreme heat. By October, if you're not done, my injuries will probably be healed up, so it'd be some good excersize to offer a hand.

As for nice people, I agree, lots of great people at the slabs, some of the only folks I can say I respect, but it seems that while the folks there have a good set of morals and no need for lawbooks (we all know that law is nothing but mental safeguarding for the weak and delusional,) a lot of them have no concept of respect for others posessions.. I've seen people there bust out car windows just to steal something stupid, like rope, or shovels.. I own a Mossberg 590 so I usually don't get those types around my camper, but man it pisses me off.. If I have extra rope or an extra shovel, I'll give it to someone in need, they just gotta ask, not bust out a car window that people in Slab City aren't likely to be able to afford to replace.

I guess it just never goes through a meth head or crazy mans mind.. Rob the obviously wealthy, not your fellow poor man.

Speaking of crazies, how's that dude with the parrot who keeps harassing Leonard? You've probaby heard of him, he threatened someone with a Machete and keeps offering people water.. Probably put something in it if he's not trying to repair his rep.

venusinpisces

Reaction score
Nice photo set! It looks like a lot of work though. I had some scheduling conflicts come up but I'm looking forward to getting out there in the fall or winter. Too bad I'll probably be hitching or I would bring some rafts--those space bags don't look like they're holding yall up too well. :D

K

katbastard

cell service is hit or miss, i am on the net through my android right now, super slow, as of monday afternoon, we will have out internet cafe up and running, somewhat at least, as for shitters, we are dig holes close to large ant hills right now, we ill move to humanure as we grow.

@venusinpisces space bags work awesome, my fat ass can sit on one and it floats at the perfect level, i have a few pool noodles also, if people want to use them.

K

katbastard

My camp mate, Ben, is taking off for a while, so i will be holding things down by my self. still got tons of work to do, the last few days we have build a wall out of hay bails and old tires, the wall blocks the wind from gusting in between the two trailers, and we have also raised some tarp shade anchored to my trailers and the trees, put up a 150 gal water tank for canal water, which is use to clean and shower with. next up laying down some dumpsted carpet and get ahold of some paint and an over head projector

K

katbastard

so the slab city clean up project is put on hold until i can get more bodies out here to help. as of noon today i will be the only person left, from camp, here in the slabs. and to top it off i found a new and super fucking awesome place to move camp too. going to be alot of work, and some money out of pocket for gas, but this new camp site is great and has lots of room to grow. and i can see it from my camp now.

I will still be here and still working on things, and people are more then welcome to drop by, and visit, or help. i am planing the move some time in the next week or two

Lizzzzz

Reaction score
i'll swing by after i harvest norcal this fall. sounds rad. p.s. humanure is only good for growing if you're an organic vegetarian. i'm into the food not lawns thing and would LOVE to help when i get there :D

K

katbastard

i'll swing by after i harvest norcal this fall. sounds rad. p.s. humanure is only good for growing if you're an organic vegetarian. i'm into the food not lawns thing and would LOVE to help when i get there :D

Thank you for the info, i need to do a ton of research on humanure still, one thing at a time though. look foreword to every one who wants to come out here and help. now lets see if i can get through this summer lol

K

katbastard

why thank you ma'am, i have a ton a work to do out here this summer, about to move the camp we are in now to this other awesome locale, it has to much room to grow and rad as fuck potential. but me and my giant mastiff puppy will be getting it done. the hardest part will be being alone, but now that i got a pretty good amount of power coming in from the solar and the internut, i will be able to have contact with the world and upload tons of pictures of the progress.

thisisme

Reaction score
this sounds super rad. id be interested in at least coming to check it out probably after nationals. what kind of work needs to be done? Also what are things i should make sure i bring along so i dont end up SOL? ive camped in the desert before but this sounds pretty intense. and one more question, is it possible to maintain gardens there? is that in the plans? im assuming so from the humanure talk:)

K

katbastard

well after nationals things around here will be super hot, and it seems i will be the only person holding down the fort. but a few people will be coming and going all summer. garden yes, soon. have not got that far yet. humanure will be a way to do something with out poop besides dropping in a hole for the ants. things to bring, first most is non douche bag attitude. after that. if you smoke bring your own smokes, if you drink, i ask that you do not get super wasted and have to be asked to leave. if your staying more then a few days, or use tons of drinking water please being pitch on that. i am paying 8 bucks to have filtered water delivered. 8 bucks = 55 gal. of drinking water. i have some extra tents around here, dont know what kind of shape they are in. pretty much this summer will be focused on getting the camp in order. after i get some more people here, the camp will be moving to a new spot not far from this one. so the move is the main project yet to be started. side projects are building a solar panel stand, painting, and gathering up reusable items from the junk yard. i am working on getting paint and brushes, and have arranged the use of a van to move every thing to the new locale. other projects are zine and media library/internet cafe. i need to find a wifi router or get some ethernet cords for the net side. i will be printing zines and books off the net to start the library. all kinds of shit, but being hot as it will be things will be slow going until fall. so this summer will be the move and set up of the new camp, and prolly swimming and chilling out until fall comes. this fall i will being gathering items to start a garden.

K

katbastard

oh if you just bring what you like to use and pitch on food and water, maybe a toilet paper you will be fine. i have shade during the sun, things too cook on and eat out of, and all that basic shit

venusinpisces

Reaction score
Gardening can be done anywhere but since the soil is both poor quality and toxic out there, it would probably be best to bring in your own soil and create raised beds. As for humanure, it really doesn't require that much research at all. Basically, you just want to compost the waste with either sawdust, sifted wood ash(just use a screen and don't burn particle board which contains synthetic, non-compostable materials) or lye, which are placed directly on top every time the outhouse is used. Periodically, the outhouse is emptied and then the material is allowed to sit covered by plastic for 6 months because this is the amount of time necessary to kill any harmful bacteria that could infest the garden. I participated in an outhouse excavation and was expecting the worst. However, it really didn't smell like anything besides regular soil so it wasn't too bad. As long as there is a bucket of sawdust in the outhouse there shouldn't be a problem. Here is a link to the Humanure Handbook website but keep in mind that the author makes it way more complicated than it needs to be since he's mostly writing for people with money. http://humanurehandbook.com/instructions.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads