Would anyone be interested in volunteering for a free place to stay in New Orleans? | Page 3 | Squat the Planet

Would anyone be interested in volunteering for a free place to stay in New Orleans?

Raging Bird

Reaction score
Website
www.ragingbirdofyouth.tumblr.com
Glad you are still rolling along on your hostel project. I live in Hammond right now so after the jamboree I'll be back in state. Definitely down to help out, would like to stay for a week in november before having to find work. I can also borrow heavy equipment ( excavator/skit steer/mini skit/etc) if you need. Probably gonna be in LA until I have enough money to travel again (probably till Jan/Feb) so whenever I have free time I'd be down to swing by and help.

Hell yeah, man. Sounds like you have actual construction experience and don't need to frantically Google shit to avoid electrocuting yourself before starting projects. If you live in LA... do you know anything about building stuff on stilts?

D

deleted user

Nah man, I'll still be Google searching and shocking myself, my experience is in laying concrete and asphalt, I'm naturally useless but I learn and apply myself constantly. I will hopefully be starting a entry level electrician job once I return so I'll be learning on that front as well. And I know people who know about building elevating structures, maybe I can get them to help/pass their info on.

WanderLost Radical

Reaction score
Ive never done it, but its not much different than with sonotubes, I'd guess

D

deleted user

Hey just wanted to say, after meeting @Raging Bird and seeing what he's got going on, I would definitely recommend checking out his flophouse. He's got a great scene of patients for people, strives to build community, and is good company. I wish I would have checked it out earlier but glad I did non the less. If you go threw Nola be sure to check it out.

Mad Mike

Reaction score
This wouldn't happen for a few months, but I just want to gauge interest......long story short,, I bought a house in New Orleans and I'm trying to start a cheap DIY hostel in the lot next door. I got a trailer that sleeps 6-8 people and have now commenced the absolute shitload of work I will need to do to get this of the ground. I want it to be a totally green space with big trees, grass, giant plants, shade, basically the opposite of 90% of New Orleans. I want to put a tiny house on stilts to make a treehouse, and build an earthbag house out back to sleep 2-4 more people.

I think there's a lot of opportunity for fun and experimentation with alternative housing and planting here, and I'm really psyched by what I've been doing already (planting 100 year old heirloom banana trees and a weird breed of elephant ear plants with leaves that grow to be 5 feet long....it's really cool.)

So just out of curiosity, do you think anyone would be interested in like, one week volunteer opportunities where you have a place to crash in exchange for doing some work on the project with me? I've got water and I'm getting electricity turned on soon. It's about 6 blocks from St. Roch Tavern, if anyone is familiar. I just wanted to post here in advance to see if anyone thinks it sounds cool or if I'm just totally out of my mind.
well I think that's freaking awesome, I currently live in New Orleans and hostel off Saint Charles I'd be very interested in speaking with you about Arrangements I'm also a chef here in town. I've been interested in the hostile environment and bed and breakfast for at least 15 maybe 20 years reside at a hostel here in town I have experience in restoration of pre Civil War homes and Landscaping experience along with a multitude of what 40 years gathered experience I think I'd be a fine asset that's my own personal opinion but honestly get back with me I think we could make something awesome happen!!!

Mike

AzureSoul

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
This is fuckin awesome. Haven't been to New Orleans since 2006, but I'll help out if I can pitch my tent somewhere...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads