Worst State to Hitch Through? | Page 5 | Squat the Planet

Worst State to Hitch Through?

jaysramblin

Reaction score
Illinois sucked pretty bad. Kinda like Connecticut in away. People nowadays can careless about themselves let alone a hitchhiker like me. I had easier time with catching out of Illinois by freight than thumbin' it on the interstate.

Kal

Reaction score
I don't have any problems with Texas the people that I had to deal with where friendly and the cops weren't to bad but it was a tough state to hitch in. Spent most of my time walking. As far as walking on the interstate I don't. Every time that I have walked on the interstate I have had many problems with the hwy patrol.

D

Deleted member 20

You've had luck in New England? Home for me is in NH and I feel like its fairly difficult to hitch thru and out of NE

I have noticed that the closer I am to my home area the harder it is for me to get rides. I swear that drivers can sense that if i dont get a ride that I will just walk the few miles home. Once I get going tho I never have a problem. I have hitched, MA, NH & ME many times (live in New bedford, MA)

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
@highwayman (pssst - at least from Buffalo to Rochester hehe)

beentheredoneit

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
For me being female the hardest is my own home state Oklahoma. The best? Florida or anywhere in the south anyways. The worst? The NE! Anything like NY, NH,ME, MA I think you get the message! The friendliest? I'd have to say NM and AZ

K

kokomojoe

Kansas sucked because the interstate was technically private property owned by the state. Like some tollway bs. Indiana i hitched from my hometown of indianapolis to Evansville easy. I have a feeling state roads are better than interstates in indy. Got hassled by cops near interstate 64 i think it was. He told us to walk to the next exit but not on the shoulder, got a truck bed ride immediately while on shoulder since it was impossible to walk anywhere else. Saw the cop looking for us goin eastbound and taking the offramp

D

Deleted member 9332

The worst I've ever been in is New Jersey, since hitching is illegal and cops are ASSHOLES there it's hard to get more than 15 miles into that state without getting stuck AS FUCK. I've heard florida is really shit too, but I've never been (and I hope I never have to).

Reactions: Johnny Maddox

MirandaLeigh

Reaction score
(province) ONTARIO. People wait days for a ride, it's so long between big cities in Northern Ontario and you can get stuck in the middle of fucking-bumbkin-ville easily. uhg, awful.

D

Deleted member 9332

What about NY? Cause I'm a woman and you know how that can go, trying to avoid things happening.
No, I'm sorry, as an lgbtq+ trans woman who has traveled around most of the north east new york is one of the safest and least sketchy places to hitch hike possible! There are going to be crazy fucked up people everywhere and im sorry if you've had to deal with that but new york is BEYOND easy to hitch through, at least if you lnow what you're doing.

Di Cruz31

Reaction score
No, I'm sorry, as an lgbtq+ trans woman who has traveled around most of the north east new york is one of the safest and least sketchy places to hitch hike possible! There are going to be crazy fucked up people everywhere and im sorry if you've had to deal with that but new york is BEYOND easy to hitch through, at least if you lnow what you're doing.
I haven't done it yet but people keep telling me not to. I just wanted to get opinions on it first before I did. Thank you for your input :)

Reactions: Mankini

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads