Worst State to Hitch Through? | Page 4 | Squat the Planet

Worst State to Hitch Through?

Brett

Reaction score
Florida and Mississippi. Couldn't ask for rides at gas stations, and police were harassing me constantly. Moved maybe a whole 70 miles in a whole day in Florida.

birdsonthebat

Reaction score
It's only my opinion and my experiences are merely personal anecdotes but hitching anywhere in CONUS is bad and far less safe for hikers than those that pick them up.
I have a fairly clean cut appearance (no tats, newish shoes, casual attire, usually clean shaven et.c.) And I've mostly only hitched around or near Appalachian trail Towns.
That's the best hitching. I hitched in south Texas and got more rides from the border patrol than others. they were just checking me out tho and getting me out of the area they patrolled.
Almost every hitch I've ever gotten I wasn't even trying, someone just stopped and offered and a few times I said, nah.
I'm a pedestrian and never in a hurry. I know bad juju is chiming when I feel like I need to be somewhere other than where I can get with my feet.
This old Bastard has drug his ass over 15k miles in less than 8 years on just one step then another then another...
I'd never recommend a woman to stick a thumb out. It's a less safer option than your feet and what's the hurry anyway. Free and easy traveling, hitching, train hopping, squatting, community is along the Towns of the Appalachian trail.

skyedreamer

dumpster diving whiskey drinkin dyke
Reaction score
Website
skyedreamerphotography.weebly.com
hitching outta az can be interesting... Yuma is the worst though. My ex and I were stuck at an off ramp for a few days. Woulda hopped a train but she was a pussy ass bitch and border patrol are douchebags there. I haven't ever had issues hitching outta Tucson. Had a few cops fuck with me in Phoenix though.

Wrecked Liberty

Homeward Bound
Reaction score
The worst for me was UTAH. Im allmost certain its because of the mormon moron religion.

enocifer

Reaction score
Website
vids.myspace.com
Wyoming and Kansas both suck for hitching. The cops'll fuck with you, even arrest you just for trying to get a ride out of their shitty fucking town. I once spent 3 days in this small town in Kansas, just trying to hitch out. Of course, i got stuck in Salinas , CA for 11 days once.... but Cali's generally pretty good about getting rides.

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
New Jersey. Hitchhiking is completely illegal in NJ so I avoided the police like the plague, but I still got stuck there for FOUR FUCKING DAYS! I had a few good spots, stood in each for a few hours, total 64 hours and not a single person picked me up.

janktoaster

Reaction score
Utah, definitely.. and New Jersey

DuHastMich

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I've seen quite a few states represented here - personally, based off my experiences dating back to '89, here's how I'd rank any 'Top 5 Worst Hitching States" list I'd form:
  1. Utah - Salt Lake City policemen are rather adamant about getting 'strays' out of town. They told me to leave, and leave quickly. I did not, but luckily found a place to hide out. Provo wasn't much better.
  2. Missouri - Although small town deputies are pretty kind, State boys are rather rough on hitchers like myself (because I do tend to get heated up when I feel they're fucking with me without probable cause).
  3. Montana - not too bad with city and county folks, but again, State policemen seem to have too much free time.
  4. Wyoming - This state was backwards for me each time I passed through. State boys were cool, but county folk outside of Casper were pretty much fuckwads to me.
  5. Ohio - Now, between Toledo and Cincinnati was cool for me; however, anywhere down I-80 was rather nightmarish each time I passed through. Maybe Commonwealths feel differently about young greaseballs like I was in '92?
That's just my experiences...each person will have different experiences, but it does seem rather uniform that Utah and New Jersey are not hitcher friendly.

meathook

Reaction score
i am revising my last post in this thread to declare CALIFORNIA [or at least SoCal] to be the worst state to hitchhike in. this past fall me & the kid i was traveling with hopped into Yermo from Vegas, walked to Barstow, and then it took us 4 days to hitch a ride out, and i was even wearing a dress! made it to Colton, hopped the wrong train [ugh], ended up back in Vegas [NOOOO], hopped back to Yermo, walked back to Barstow, and then hitched at the same spot for another 4 days. Finally we gave up and took a taxi to a truck stop, where we got picked up by some batshit insane GDF folks in an RV that gave us a ride to Mississippi.

urchin

Reaction score
Ah yes, the Family. Generally they are really nice but they are so into the metaphysical shit it can make being around them a chore. Don't dare to question their statements or they will take huge offense.

meathook

Reaction score
Ah yes, the Family. Generally they are really nice but they are so into the metaphysical shit it can make being around them a chore. Don't dare to question their statements or they will take huge offense.
they were on Western Union tour and blatantly didn't care that we had no money for food, dog food, or cigarettes. made us do all the gas jugging, and when we flew a sign or busked we were supposed to give them half of what we made [LOLOLOL]. if i hadn't needed to get to Nola asap, i would never have taken that ride. ugh.

S

smk1620

Idaho texas and Virginia ..... chesterfield Virginia to be exact ..... I woke up in a padded cell ... :/ luckily id only been passed out for like 5 hours and they let me out after another four ... but still

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads