Video - World Traveller Adventure " Spiral Tribe " | Squat the Planet

Video World Traveller Adventure " Spiral Tribe "

NightWalk

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The Spirals organized their first party in the United Kingdom in October 1990. Very quickly, with other techno sound systems, they approached travelers, whose nomadic way of life they adopted. They perform in several free festivals, emblematic events of traveler culture. Taking with them all the equipment necessary for the organization of their parties, they organize many free parties in various squatted places, mainly in the south of England.

In May 1992, the sound system participated in the Castlemorton festival which attracted 20,000 to 40,000 people, the largest event of its kind at the time. At the end of the festival, members of the Spiral are arrested and charged with 'conspiracy to create a public disorder' ('conspiracy to cause public nuisance'). The trial, which takes place in 1994, is one of the longest and most expensive in British history, spanning almost four months. At the end of the trial, all the accused are acquitted1.

The Spiral and the free party movement were then widely publicized, with several newspapers calling for action to be taken against the nuisances caused by illegal raves. In response, the British government passed the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act in 1994, which among other measures gave the police increased powers to suppress festive gatherings in the open air. The law is explicitly directed against techno music defined as 'characterized by the emission of repetitive rhythms' ('wholly or predominantly characterized by the emission of a succession of repetitive beats')

In 1993, several members of the Spiral Tribe went to France. They organize what they then call “free raves”; we will retain the teknivals of Beauvais (1993) with the Nomad Sound System, of the Chaos of Montpellier-le-Vieux near Millau (1994), or that of Tarnos (Alien Festival - 10 days - summer 1995, co-organized with the teknozine TNT) in the Landes. The expression 'free rave' is subsequently abandoned because the word 'free' was too often misinterpreted and the entire meaning of the word 'free' which, if it can refer to free also evokes freedom but does not prevent a donation (free price) from allowing sound systems to continue to organize them. The term “rave party” is also abandoned; designating the free parties of the time, it is now often used to designate paid and authorized techno evenings. Around 1995, the expressions “free party” and teknival became the norm to designate the type of events organized by the Spiral Tribe and those it inspired.

The Spirals thus contributed in the early 1990s to the emergence of many French sound systems such as TNT, Heretik, Psy 4x, Metek, Troubles fête, Tomahawk, Fraktal, Infrabass, Nomads, Foxtanz and OQP, many of which have decided to imitate them after attending one of their parties. These same sound systems have become the founding fathers of the free party in France and some are celebrating their twenty years of parties.

During this period, the sound system also travels a lot across Europe. They thus participated in the organization of the first CzechTek teknival in the Czech Republic in 1994, an event which subsequently became annual. They have also organized free parties and teknivals in the Netherlands, Germany, Spain, Italy, spreading their idea of the free party as they go. Subsequently, part of the tribe went to the United States to organize free parties and teknivals. The Spirals broke up around 1996, some members founding new collectives, others starting solo careers. We know that some members will make a visit to the Autonomous Center for Social Experimentation of Ris-Orangis with members of Facom Unit and U.F.O and will live there for some time at the end of the 1990s.

World Traveller Adventure Documentary " Spiral Tribe "

( Desolé si mon post n'est pas au bon endroit )

roguetrader

Reaction score
I went to an early Spirals party at a free festival in Wales mid 1991, same weekend I took my first ever Ecstacy tablet.. . rave soundsystems were still a relatively new thing at hippie festivals at that time, and there were plenty of people demanding the Spirals 'turn that shit off' after 2 or 3 days of solid techno ! but the traveller dealers all appreciated the influx of hundreds of raver 'punters' and their insatiable appetite for drugs, and by the next summer techno soundsystems were everywhere at every free festival...

I didn't make it to Castlemorton but a month later I was at another huge party at Kerry in Mid Wales with an estimated 30,000 people in attendance ! all totally free with no pigs allowed on site and very little trouble... but the free festivals got to be too big and chaotic for the powers that be and heavy changes in the law meant that it was all over by "93 / 94 - but that just galvanised a whole lot of travellers into moving over to France / Spain / Portugal / Italy where the scene just got bigger and bigger !

finally, I don't know why it says that Spiral Tribe split up in 1996 in the above write up - they are still going strong with many of the original crew involved - Mark Harrison, Simon, Seb, Ix, Mickey etc etc

Last edited:

NightWalk

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Exactly Roguetrader some of the Spiral Tribe are still together. There remain Ixi, Seb Alias 69Db, Simon Alias Crystal Distortion and Mark Angelo. Now he plays more in clubs or festivals. It is rare to see them in a freeParty.

Androoshka

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
This is what I was wondering! Does this movement exist in the United States ?!
So far, I have found people who have parties with $0 or low cost admission, but it doesn't look like the same thing as a European FreeParty. Often it involves getting to a club party before 10PM (so it's free or low cost admission). I'm in San Diego right now, and they do have "Renegade" parties in unconventional places (like under road bridges/sewers and in the dessert)... that's the closest I can find so far... but those have all been pay. I tried to go to one party two weeks ago and they make you pay electronically with Venmo and such, and my Venmo account was so old, it was on a different phone number, so I couldn't go. LOL. Hopefully, I can go to some in the future. I have tried messaging people to get involved somehow... I have a small sound system and DJ equipment, plus a small van, but again - no luck. It seems hard to break into the "circles".

ali

Reaction score
There are definitely some freetekno/free party crews in North America, or in Canada at least. I used to know a few people who threw parties in Ontario, but i think there are more in Québec. Not sure if they're still around, it's definitely something that took off more in Europe.

Something you could look at is working at paid festivals like Harvest (Ontario), Bass Coast (BC), Shambala (BC) etc. The music at those festivals is a bit different, though, it's not like Spiral Tribe, it's more typical techno/tech house on the east coast and dubstep/drum'n'bass/etc on the west coast. Also at the paid festivals you're going to get a bit of a different crowd turning up, of course, although in the crew camping areas it might have a bit more the feeling of a free party.

When i lived in Holland i used to go to some parties run by Zodiak Commune who threw some pretty wild gigs together with local freetekno sound systems. I remember i went to party of theirs relatively recently where one of the spaces just had a massive wall of speakers set up, might have been Mononom Sound System but i don't remember. It's awesome to just stick your head in a speaker stack and let that stupidly fast and fun acidy hardcore drill through your whole body. Something different from your normal everyday rave for sure. Dunno if i could hack several days of it, though, i'm too old nowadays! The paid festivals in Europe are more my speed now, especially the druggy, dubby daytime vibes around 100bpm.

Ah, i miss Europe, and i sure as hell miss parties.

If you're into goa/psytrance (slightly different scene again), Goabase (goabase ॐ parties and people - https://www.goabase.net/) has started updating again after a year or more off for corona.

roguetrader

Reaction score
the free party movement in England (and subsequently the rest of Europe) was created by a community of very varied people - many of them were punks and 'hippie travellers' - as people like me used to be known... the experience we all had taking squats and holding underground gigs and festivals proved invaluable in the creation of raves with a similar ethic - 'by the people, for the people' as one crew put it' - basically a whole scene and lifestyle was generated from the pretty random circumstance of raves needing a venue and finding a home at the free festivals ! common cause I suppose...

I don't think anything remotely similar happened in America and thus the punk & traveller scene never melded with the underground rave scene (please correct me if I'm wrong ???)

ali

Reaction score
No, i'm not aware of this happening in the US or Canada, although i am a relatively "new" Canadian, only having moved there in the late 2000s. There might have been some stuff going on before then, but i just didn't know about it.

In Australia the punk, crustie/hippie and rave scenes all kinda collapsed together into an Australian version of (mostly) goa/psytrance parties that they called doofs. I think a lot of people in the early days (90s) were ex-punks, some of them from the UK (most famously Olli Wisdom), some from the Melbourne little band scene (e.g. Ollie Olsen) and others just from various local punk crews. I feel like the Jabiluka blockade was a catalyst that brought ferals (Feral (subculture) - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feral_(subculture)) closer to bush party crews, although perhaps it's just my bias because that's around the time i was there. The smaller parties back then were free or pay-what-you-can. I sometimes think that by the 2000s the urban rave and outdoor goa scenes both got big enough that punters tended to go more to those events, and underground doofs disappeared. But, again, that might just be because i moved away so i don't know about them any more. I do remember in the late 90s we did a few Reclaim the Streets events, which was a blast.

I always half-wished i had been able to be in the UK when the squat party thing was going on. All that "fucking avin' it" acid techno, how awesome? But a friend who was a part of the scene had a bit of a negative memory - he felt it was too druggy. I guess you always wish you were in the other place. Years later i was talking to someone about seeing Mononom back when i was a teenager and they were so amazed i had been there to experience it. But at the time i didn't think about it that way, it was just my local scene, not really all that interesting. The point being... whatever you have going on around you right now is unique, so just get involved it and enjoy it. Some day people will look back and think you got to see the best of times, because that's just how it goes, times change.

Edit to add: never went to Dragon Festival - i moved to Australia around that time!

Androoshka

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I always half-wished i had been able to be in the UK when the squat party thing was going on. All that "fucking avin' it" acid techno, how awesome? But a friend who was a part of the scene had a bit of a negative memory - he felt it was too druggy. I guess you always wish you were in the other place. Years later i was talking to someone about seeing Mononom back when i was a teenager and they were so amazed i had been there to experience it. But at the time i didn't think about it that way, it was just my local scene, not really all that interesting. The point being... whatever you have going on around you right now is unique, so just get involved it and enjoy it. Some day people will look back and think you got to see the best of times, because that's just how it goes, times change.
Yeah, it seems like there's a lot of sentiments about a "special time" or a "golden age" in so many places and times (like in America, the 1960's hippie movements, or the 50's beats, or the 30's flappers and speakeasy, 70's disco scene, etc.) and I think it's probably true, in the sense that they were immensely special for the people involved there at the time, and how the art and other culture produced in a particular scene may have contributed uniquely to a larger movement and had historical repercussions.

But it makes me wonder - if so many times are special, then what makes anything special? LOL :)

otch0z

Reaction score
What an amazing post ! I'm so glad someone is talking about the rave culture in europe as a part of the traveler culture ! No offense but i find this forum to be centered around the states and north america a lot (but i mean that's where matt is from so it makes sense) and it's refreshing to have some info about different traveler cultures :)

I grew up in france where the free parties are pretty common but I'm in canada now and although there are some raves, they're nothing compared to what I've seen in france... the only decent rave i went to was organized by a crew of people from france living in montreal haha
I always find myself explaining the role of tekno and the link with punks in france to canadians but people here listen to tekno and go 'oh that's edm' and surely enough iwhen I'm in france people listen to folk punk and go 'oh that's country music'
Undergroud culture doesn't necessarily travel that well haha

Reactions: NightWalk and ali

NightWalk

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
What an amazing post ! I'm so glad someone is talking about the rave culture in europe as a part of the traveler culture ! No offense but i find this forum to be centered around the states and north america a lot (but i mean that's where matt is from so it makes sense) and it's refreshing to have some info about different traveler cultures :)

I grew up in france where the free parties are pretty common but I'm in canada now and although there are some raves, they're nothing compared to what I've seen in france... the only decent rave i went to was organized by a crew of people from france living in montreal haha
I always find myself explaining the role of tekno and the link with punks in france to canadians but people here listen to tekno and go 'oh that's edm' and surely enough iwhen I'm in france people listen to folk punk and go 'oh that's country music'
Ah coool de voir un français sur ce forum :) Oui j'ai bien l'impression que cette culture a du mal a s'installer en dehors de l'Europe . Tu es habité dans quelle régions quand tu étais en France ?!

otch0z

Reaction score
Ah coool de voir un français sur ce forum :) Oui j'ai bien l'impression que cette culture a du mal a s'installer en dehors de l'Europe . Tu es habité dans quelle régions quand tu étais en France ?!
Dans le sud, pas loin de Montpellier. Il fait pratiquement assez chaud toute l'année pour raver :p et toi ?

Reactions: NightWalk

lil dirty

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.comcrustboyclique

In the uk the past 10 years you would be surprised about how underground cultures have traveled and mixed, a lot of freeparty people here are into folkpunk. As a quite a few bands have from America have played on the streets here and have met local punks and have then played at squat parties.

roguetrader

Reaction score
@lil dirty I'm pushing 50 and started raving in '90 .... so I remember many of the original underground soundsystems starting out - a lot of them were made up of punks & travellers and a wide variety of music got played over a typical rave weekend.... cultural cross pollinations being going on forever, especially at the more experimental end of things...

• Agree
Reactions: ali

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads