Wilderness Squatting : underground shelter

hiveranno

Reaction score
this is the first step to living in these conditions. unless your in an area where there are no weather changes, cold, heat, wet....the earths temp is a constant 52 degrees. you been in them on your urban exploring trips. the rain gutters and sewers under the roads and byways. its cool in the summer and warm in the winter from the earths temp. on a cold northern minnesota day, i only have to raise the temp 10-20 degrees to be warm and comfy and in the wilderness this is provided by every blow down tree in the area. all my materials were scrounged from build site dumpsters, curbside garbage day, spring cleaning folks that know me and the vast collection heaps of scrap metal in the area. heres what i did.....

i found my property and researched the use of the property. i located 1600 acres of paper mill land given to the papermill from the state to log and do what they needed. they log off the land then replant and wont touch it again in my lifetime. the state of minnesota requires if you freedom camp to move every two weeks. thats my loop hole. this land is no longer governed by the state and is now in the stead of the papermill, who by the state have to allow public use of the property and have no guidelines as to how long i have to spend in one area. they have guidlines that state that no permanent building can be built on the land. mine is far from permanent and im not on the land im under it. the nearest road is 2 1/2 miles through spruce swamp and lakes. i get around by canoe or walking when i need something or visitors are expected.

with the help of other like minded kids, we dug away at the side of a south facing hill. we went in probably 20feet into the hil and about the same wide. we located several tires fom the mosquito infested pile they were thrown in behind a tire shop. the tire shop was happy to get rid of them and paid me a dollar a tire to remove them from his property. my zombie brother came in his tricked out ford pickup and hauled them to my canoe and i paddled six at a time to my landing then rolled them to the construction site, i dont recall how many trips were needed but they all got there. we then put one roll of tires down and did the rammed earth method with tamps and such. row after stagered their way till it was in line with the ground slope.

i located a construction site at an old hospital that they were tearing down the majority of it and rebuilding an office complex. i spoke with the general foremen and asked him if i can raid his debris pile. i had to purchase a hard hat to enter the property but it was a gold mine. he allowed me to take what ever was in the pile. there was a whole roof there, metal clad and awesome. i pulled out all kinds of lumber, insulation, waterproof rubber roofing, drain tile and scores of other stuff.

it was a lot of work getting my finds back in the woods but it was done. drain tile was placed around the back side of the home and it was all tarred in place (another purchase) and burried the roof was put on and burried plants and such were planted over the top. the only way you can see my place is to be on the south chunk of property and listen for me to whistle at you. its very well hidden. the ground gets beat up around the front and down by the lake but im pretty cautious about what is left out or disturbed. ive only had one deer hunter in the are and he was there for about three hours and never noticed. ive lived out of debris huts, lean to's, under pine trees, and in snow banks and have never been as comfy as i am now. alot of work went into this but what else do you do when you have nothing to do..... i will post other shelter techniques and hope you do the same.

A

Arapala

I'd love to see some photos pf what you have made. This sounds great. Glad to hear that it seems to be working out well for you.
Also, i'd love to hear about some of the other shelters you have lived in.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads