Wilderness squatting, Olympia WA

X

XMNnmx

A friend of mine just told me about wilderness squatting in the forests around Olympia, WA. Apparently camping out in the woods is common among students at Evergreen.

Can anyone corroborate this statement, and/or provide some more information? I'm planning on going up there, and I'm thinking about such an arrangement as a semi-permanent living option.

zephyr23

Reaction score
yeah i live in olympia a lot of ppl just camp at capital forest. also you can camp in the woods behind the campus. oly is good to street kids. three meals a day at the mission food not bombs and random church feeds, and awesome food bank that all u need is ID to get food. oly all right. now it sucks because rain all the time.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
as an evergreen graduate, i agree with everything everyone else has said here so far. even when i was going to school there occasionally i would crash in the woods out by the dorms.

i just wouldn't get too comfortable in one spot, i'd change spots every day, and not set up a tent or anything like that. i think it would be easier to do in a forest nearer to town than the college, since you could probably pitch a tent and not have to move so often.

evergreen is aware that homeless/homefree people camp out there and is pretty against it. they even brief all their new dorm residents on how they shouldn't let homeless people/friends stay in their dorms. that's why i'd say move around a bit and don't be too obvious if your camping in the woods out there.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads