Wilderness Squatting : my rambling then on to survival

hiveranno

Reaction score
When i first decided to move into the woods, i had a general knowledge of how to survive for a period of time that allowed a person to be rescued. Hell, i taught these classes to a youth military auxillary group called civil air patrol. i was a member long before i went into the military and for a couple years after. one day while i was working my boring 12 houra day job, it snapped in my brain. i quit everything and became a wandering dirty kid and loved it ever since. i traveled to NZ and destroyed my bank account with waking up to the world. when i returned i decided that i already lost everything... house... gone...vehicles... gone... credit... gone and you know what? i just didnt and still dont care. i went into the woods and have seldom came out. i see what the rest of the world has written about living in situations like this and i laugh. the big "green" trend of people trying to live a low environmental impact life makes me taste vomit in my mouth. the environment is the last concern in their eyes as they drive their 50,000 dollar SUVS to their brain dead job working at an office building that uses more natural resources then it supplies.

these granola headed idiots would scoff at my ideas but guess what. i havnt purchased any food since the day i went into the woods. i have not purchased building materials or tools and havnt stolen them either. i did what i needed to do to survive and to sustain on "public" property with out being located, interupted, questioned, arrested or ran off. i live on what the land provides and do my shopping from other peoples waste. people say im destroying the environment by living as i do but if its so bad to become part of the environment rather then destroy it with modern necessities then so be it.

There's not an animal out there that gives a rat's ass about nature or the environment. Just look at what a beaver does to local environments. Does the beaver worry that the trees were alive? In a survival situation, your concern is that YOU survive... you are the animal... everything else is potential food or materials.... and I mean everything.

well you know where i stand, how about you?

compass

Lost
Reaction score
Seems like you're living the dream.

I was an automotive technician making decent money, could've had a pretty good life by societal standards, but it had no appeal to me, my heart wasn't in any of it. I'll save y'all the long, twisty, whirlwind of events that pushed me out, but basically, I deconstructed my entire life to travel and make it easier for me to live by my values. This last time I took off a little over a year ago, I was hoping to spend alot of time focused on gaining skills, but I ended up wandering around aimlessly and confued, recklessly blew pretty much all my savings, and didn't really gain anywhere near as much knowledge and experience as I hoped. Now I'm facing the prosepect of trying to find work, but I can't stand the idea of going back into the "normal" world, or travel around as a tramp, filling my basic needs free/cheap as I utilize free methods of transportation, but I don't see myself being able to gain many skills without some kind of personal space and money. Day by day, I'm figuring it out as I go.

I do think when going back to living off the land, that one has to be fully mindful they are an integral part of an ecosystem, that it nourishes us, and we must be careful to maintain the balance and health of that ecosystem. Otherwise, no matter where we go we'll just end up stripping the land of it's resources, perpetuating the destruction of the natural world.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads