Why you DONT want to be a Gypsy (from meeting the real gypos.)

BusGypsy

Reaction score
yes but not matter how gypsy-like you may feel inside you cannot change your ethnicity - I fully support your 'right' to express yourself in any way you feel but you will never be a 'real' gypsy unless you are a true born Romani ! but yeah please call yourself whatever makes you happy....

You're still dismissing all other gypsy cultures. No one race owns it.

D

Deleted member 125

3 name changes and going on 5 pages and I kinda think yer still not getting it @BusGypsy "it" being every very valid reason why you might wanna think about what it is yer calling yerself. It sounds like the reading into things you did only backs yer "I'll take the term back and make it my own" kinda mindset.

It's my responsibility to be objective in things like this especially since no website rules are being broken, but if you asked my opinion (which you didn't) ide of let the name go and take it as a lesson learned about other people's cultures and how maybe I as being just a bit uninformed . Imo nothing says ignorant American like debating something when yer clearly well...wrong and using the "take it and make it my own" excuse.

BusGypsy

Reaction score
3 name changes and going on 5 pages and I kinda think yer still not getting it @BusGypsy "it" being every very valid reason why you might wanna think about what it is yer calling yerself. It sounds like the reading into things you did only backs yer "I'll take the term back and make it my own" kinda mindset.

It's my responsibility to be objective in things like this especially since no website rules are being broken, but if you asked my opinion (which you didn't) ide of let the name go and take it as a lesson learned about other people's cultures and how maybe I as being just a bit uninformed . Imo nothing says ignorant American like debating something when yer clearly well...wrong and using the "take it and make it my own" excuse.

3 name changes and 5 pages... No I think it's just a matter of agree to disagree. I didn't ask your opinion. I'm not uninformed, just done with being so afraid of offending people. I'm not an ignorant American though I get that insult is popular to throw around nowadays. Calling me uninformed and an ignorant American isn't very objective at all, neither is taking sides, but I'm not trying to win a popularity contest here.
I'm done with this thread, and I am putting the appropriate parties on Ignore so I may continue to use and enjoy this site.

D

Deleted member 125

3 name changes and 5 pages... No I think it's just a matter of agree to disagree. I didn't ask your opinion. I'm not uninformed, just done with being so afraid of offending people. I'm not an ignorant American though I get that insult is popular to throw around nowadays. Calling me uninformed and an ignorant American isn't very objective at all, neither is taking sides, but I'm not trying to win a popularity contest here.
I'm done with this thread, and I am putting the appropriate parties on Ignore so I may continue to use and enjoy this site.

Right on, I hope you can continue to enjoy the site without ever having somebody disagree with you again.

And I didn't call you uninformed or a ignorant american, I stated how I might feel if I was in yer shoes, which apparently I hit a nerve so it sounds like I was right? But like I said yer not breaking any rules by having what I think is a silly name, but having one of the staff members change it for you 3 times is kinda annoying so it would be dope if you could keep not caring what other people think about it and just stick with one for longer then a day.

You are 100% right though about me being objective, it shouldn't of been brought up by me because no rules are being broken and I'm just giving my personal opinion. I think you have proven to not only me but the other people who tried a lot harder then I would of to teach you something and to do it in a nice way but you still don't get it.

Detour

Reaction score
that's why I use the american term Hobo -aristocrat, hobo having the respect of a vagabundo (spn for vagabond, another fav of mine) of a low consumption ( save of course the vino), light on the planet kinda travler, who mostly makes his own way without getting handouts. I don't personally hate on folks flying spange signs, that's just what the old dudes laid out: Hobo-itinerant, worker often seasonal, tramp- same but doesn't work much and spanges.

I get that calling us vagos 'gypsies' is a slur. It'd be like calling us Lakota's, as both were seriously fucked with to the point of genocide. But that's not to say we can't learn from and respect those native/nomadic groups. All my life I've read and travelled in the SW where the Dnai (apaches) led their low impact, nomadic lives, their warriors including women being the last to hold out against us white eyes. So, much respect to all traditional nomadic societies, esp those that have been denigrated, hinted down, 'tamed'. Tuareg, Crow, Lenape, Tarahumara, Romany, the Polynesian group, Celts, the Mongolian tribes, Aliut, and of course my faves, the various tribes of Lupis lupis, wolf.
Dnai is Navajo not Apache

roguetrader

Reaction score
@BusGypsy - can you give me an example of one of these other 'gypsy cultures' ? cos as far as I'm concerned gypsy means Roma full stop.. it seems like you just don't wanna face up to this inescapable fact... as I stated previously I have known Romany Gypsies / Irish Travellers / New Travellers all my life and I know what I'm talking about....

what exactly do you think Gypsy means ?

Reactions: troublefunk
D

Deleted member 22331

Hey there folk, I’ve been tramping around England the past 3 months and have realised a ridiculous and frankly insulting trend in American travelling culture. The habit of calling each other gypsies. Well, I’m here to tell ya, you never should call yourself a gypsy and here’s why. As has been discussed before, the word gypsy is to the Romani travellers the same equivalent to any other racist slang. But beyond that, the people that are actually from Romani, and have what would be considered gypsy blood are not what you would think. These are not the free travelling, poor, and open minded individuals that American culture has painted them as. From actually hanging out with people who are proud to be gypsys, let me tell ya a bit about them. They resemble some of our not so quality dirty kids and scum fucks, with leaving camp sites and beautiful natural areas completely destroyed, being completely unable to bury their own shit let alone their dogs, breaking into homes and terrorising the local community, drinking copious amounts of alcohol in large groups in public to the point of causing nearly riot grade mishaps in town, to robbing other travellers for all they have. they carry one HUGE difference though. Most are filthy fucking rich. Their caravans are top of the line luxury RVs that most of us would never imagine even catching a ride from, and their bank accounts are filled with old inheritance. I could look past ALL of that if it wasn’t for the one cultural norm I’ve observed from every last Romani gypsy I’ve met, their woman are forcibly subservient and receive awful treatment from the men and homosexuals are ostrosized and bullied if not physically removed from their “communities “ . It is quite common for them to send 11-14 year old girls into town to attempt to rope rich men into sleeping with them under direction of their fathers in order to black mail the wealthy men into either marrying into the family or paying for the gypsies silence. This isn’t some assumption I’m making, it’s the actual cultural norm. It’s considered bad taste to even talk to a gypsy woman who’s married and the women are beat for speaking out of turn. They hunt for other, poorer travellers in order to straight up rob or attempt to swindle away hard earned gear. In the UK off grid travelling culture, people travelling from other countries are warned to not associate with these dangerous and predatory individuals.

So I’m short, you shouldn’t call yourself a gypsy for two reasons.

A) you’re not a fucking gypsy, and if you were you’d be disgusted by the US poor travellers. Hitchhikers and especially train riders are seen as homeless rift raft that they would rather rob, rape and leave on the side of the road than ever call fellow travellers. If you’re not Romani, you’re making a racial slur by calling yourself a gypsy.

B) Modern day gypsys are not the ones you read about in the history books. If you’re not filthy rich and travel around in a top of the line brand new RV that you buy an upgrade every single year while also holding the attitude that it’s your right to royalty fucking destroy every town you pass into, then you’re not travelling like a gypsy. I would be ashamed to call myself a gypsy or as their non-Romani counter parts are called, Pikies. If you want to associate with the extreme sexist, homophobic, and self destructive culture that is modern day gypsy culture, call yourself a Pikie, because you’re not Romani and thus making a racial slur. However, calling yourself a Pikie is essentially calling yourself a mix of a drainbow, weekend warrior, and trustafarian all wrapped up in a bed of a deep hate for women, other races and homosexuals.

Just speaking from experience. Please guys, let’s Stop calling ourselves gypsies. It’s just in bad taste

I’m from the U.K and I agree with everything you have just said. Spot on mate

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads