Why you DONT want to be a Gypsy (from meeting the real gypos.) | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Why you DONT want to be a Gypsy (from meeting the real gypos.)

BusGypsy

Reaction score
I gotta add tho, I just thought, to call yourself a gypsie if you are a traveller you gotta be somewhere on the similar level of scambaggery as real gypsies were. I mean, hashtag vanlife full time graphic designer typa shit, altho technically travels but shouldn't call him/her self a gypsy, that d be offensive and definitely culturally appropriating. If you spange busk steal at least, living up to the Roma lifestyle then you deserve to call yourself a gypsy.

I disagree. I don't "gotta be" anyway or anywhere.
To claim cultural appropriation is to claim that you or a race own a culture when a culture is a multi-ethnic, ever evolving thing. And that's... racist. Our PC world of calling cultueral appropriation on anyone wearing an asian dress or eating food or wearing dreads is total bs and I don't buy it.

marmar

Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I disagree. I don't "gotta be" anyway or anywhere.
To claim cultural appropriation is to claim that you or a race own a culture when a culture is a multi-ethnic, ever evolving thing. And that's... racist. Our PC world of calling cultueral appropriation on anyone wearing an asian dress or eating food or wearing dreads is total bs and I don't buy it.

If you are not a homeless vagabond riding freight in search of a farm gig or better life somewhere all the time then you should NOT call yourself a hobo. Same with gypsies. Just read into the words meaning and history before tattooing it on your forehead so to say. Cultural appropriation is real tho. It's when more privileged take from under privileged and traditionally oppressed and benefit from it. Like if you are born and raised middle class, a white westerner who still lives up to the class's expectation and say, you make t-shirts with Gypsy or HOBo words on them for sale, that is direct capitalization on the culture that you 've never belonged to. Living in a bus is not enough to call yourself a gypsy or hobo.

BusGypsy

Reaction score
If you are not a homeless vagabond riding freight in search of a farm gig or better life somewhere all the time then you should NOT call yourself a hobo. Same with gypsies. Just read into the words meaning and history before tattooing it on your forehead so to say. Cultural appropriation is real tho. It's when more privileged take from under privileged and aditionally oppressed and benefit from it. Like if you are born and raised middle class white westerner who still lives up to the class's expectation and say you make t-shirts with Gypsy or HOBo words on them for sale that is direct capitalization on the culture that you 've never belonged to. Living in a bus is not enough to call yourself a gypsy or hobo.

"should"? and who are you to be doing the supposing? Respectfully, who put you in charge of Roma gypsies AND language?
Again, you don't know me. Who I am, where I come from. And that's why policing other people's identity is WRONG.

marmar

Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
"should"? and who are you to be doing the supposing? Respectfully, who put you in charge of Roma gypsies AND language?
Again, you don't know me. Who I am, where I come from. And that's why policing other people's identity is WRONG.
I dont tell you what you should do. I was talking in general. And not like you, i actually used " I think" in my sentences. What you take as directed at yourself only shows what you think of yourself dear.

• Agree
Reactions: roughdraft

BusGypsy

Reaction score
I dont tell you what you should do. I was talking in general. And not like you, i actually used " I think" in my sentences. What you take as directed at yourself only shows what you think of yourself dear.

don't get what the condescending tone is about. I was polite when appropriate, but I'm not the one making an entire thread telling people what they can and can't call themselves. Don't know why you feel it neccesary to make a proclamation like an authority.

Reactions: Prophetess333

BusGypsy

Reaction score
That's really cute, rating me like that because I proved you wrong. I'm flattered you made a thread just for me.

BusGypsy

Reaction score
keep going. you should go back in time and rate all my posts.

BusGypsy

Reaction score
@BusGypsy - is your family / heritage Roma ? no ? then you are not and can never be a TRUE gypsy - obviously you can refer to yourself by any name that you wish but in this case it just makes you sound foolish, ignorant and a wannabe...

wow, I do NOT get what this hostility is about.
You don't know who or what I am and I'm not obligated to justify myself. So your point is null.
Shame on you for being racist; claiming you OWN a culture or word.
I'm glad you're all having fun attacking me. I'm sorry you're all so threatened.
It's adorable how many people here are all about "rules".
You can attack me personally all you want but it doesn't "make" me "sound" any way. I am who I am regardless of your attacks, and nothing anyone can say can change that.
Good try bullying but I'm just stronger than that.

roguetrader

Reaction score
with regard to the original post the guy is obviously generalizing wildly.... we have three main itinerant groups in the UK - Romany Gypsies / Irish Travellers and 'New' Travellers - like any group of people the behaviour of these nomads varies massively - some are aggressive, criminal scum but many are proud and hard working.....

some of what the OP says is true - most Roma and Irish Travellers are very materialistic and like conspicuous displays of wealth - brand new caravans, fancy clothes, gold jewellery etc and yes they can be very conservative in their views on marriage and sexuality - but again people vary greatly...

the group most STP members would identity with is not rooted in race / ethnicity - "New Travellers' are vehicle dwellers seeking an alternative lifestyle and the scene has its roots in the counter culture(s) e.g the hippie / punk / rave eras... most people in this catergory were born in houses but those who started early have kids and grandkids that have travelled all their lives....

Last edited:

roguetrader

Reaction score
@BusGypsy - terrible logic - the one thing I do know with absolute certainty is that you are not a Romany Gypsy !

I am not feeling hostile towards you and agree that you are completely free to call yourself anything that you please, however pretentious it may appear to others....

for the record I abhor racism and am failing to understand why my desire to use correct terminlogy in daily life is viewed as prejudiced.....

• Dislike
Reactions: Oddy and BusGypsy

BusGypsy

Reaction score
@BusGypsy - terrible logic - the one thing I do know with absolute certainty is that you are not a Romany Gypsy !

I am not feeling hostile towards you and agree that you are completely free to call yourself anything that you please, however pretentious it may appear to others....

for the record I abhor racism and am failing to understand why my desire to use correct terminlogy in daily life is viewed as prejudiced.....

with certainty... that IS funny. You're asserting you know someone who you don't.
I've communicated with plenty of people with this moniker, and I've never been attacked like this.
Let me spell it out for you.
Culture is a multi-ethnic thing. No one RACE owns a CULTURE. THAT would be.... that's right, racist!

This attacking is totally inappropriate and rude.

Gate keepers.

Prophetess333

Reaction score
Is this a cultural issue? (Not sure what to call it). There's a big difference between some terminology in the US vs UK or parts of europe. Many many people are of mixed descents in the US. No one should have to justify what they are, and it is not right of one to assume one is or isn't.
The term "gypsy" in the US has been around awhile. Go ask Stevie Nicks lol yet can be traced back to the 60s. It's also used in describing music styles sometimes. It's not being used negatively.
I am aware in the UK it is a slur and has been associated with racism against those of gypsy origin. I don't understand why the op & other posts attacking gypsies.
There are stereotypes of all races. Many do not feel they may fit a stereotype.

BusGypsy

Reaction score
Is this a cultural issue? (Not sure what to call it). There's a big difference between some terminology in the US vs UK or parts of europe. Many many people are of mixed descents in the US. No one should have to justify what they are, and it is not right of one to assume one is or isn't.
The term "gypsy" in the US has been around awhile. Go ask Stevie Nicks lol yet can be traced back to the 60s. It's also used in describing music styles sometimes. It's not being used negatively.
I am aware in the UK it is a slur and has been associated with racism against those of gypsy origin. I don't understand why the op & other posts attacking gypsies.
There are stereotypes of all races. Many do not feel they may fit a stereotype.

Thank you! I'm so glad someone gets it. Cultural gatekeeping is wrong.
Man now I'm craving me some Fleetwood Mac!

BusGypsy

Reaction score
ok how about we kinda go the other way. would you be fine with a british person calling themselves native american because they like the culture?

that's completely different.
Native American is a race.
"gypsy" isn't. There are many different types of "gypsies". British, scottish, polish. If anything the word was originally taken from the "Egyptian" because gypsies were supposed to have come from Egypt.
So if you really wanna run around dictating what people can call themselves, then I guess the Roma are appropriating as well!

BusGypsy

Reaction score
by your own rules you're totally being a racist gatekeeper.

? not at all. I invite you to point out where I've done that.
I never tell anyone what they can and can't call themselves.
This thread was created to dictate what people may and may not call themselves.
I call bullshit.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads