What's in your panniers? | Squat the Planet

What's in your panniers?

Dunedrifter

Reaction score
I'm exploring the idea of bike touring, and curious what some of you experienced dawgs carry in your home on wheels. What's the one thing you can't live without on the road that you sacrifice space and/or weight for?

Reactions: Mankini
D

Deleted member 11392

-tent
-tarp
-cooking pot
-stove
-fuel cannister
-lighter
-water bag
-2 water bottles
-sleeping bag
-bungee cords
-duct tape
-helmet
-water filter(for remote parts of Canada and Alaska)
-hygiene bag with various small things, toothbrush and whatnot
-a book
-notebook, envelopes, pen, stamps, passport, wallet
-collapsable coffee maker and filters
-mug
-thermos
-clothes: socks, thermals, 3 t-shirts, sweatpants, 2 shorts, jacket, rain jacket, rain pants
-phone, charger
-small backpack
-helmet
-hat
-FOOD AND COFFEE!
-tools and spare parts. Pretty basic stuff, bike pump, patch kit, wrenches, pliers, tube
-my bike and 4 panniers

That sounds like a ton of shit. Maybe it is. 80 pounds fully loaded with food and water, including my bike.

My favorite things I carry are my tent and my coffee maker. Together they weigh 3.5 pounds. At night, when it's thunderstorm and I'm dry, you bet I love that thing. And fuck mosquitoes! The coffee maker is dope, a must have for fiends like me.

Dunedrifter

Reaction score
-tent
-tarp
-cooking pot
-stove
-fuel cannister
-lighter
-water bag
-2 water bottles
-sleeping bag
-bungee cords
-duct tape
-helmet
-a book
-mug
-thermos
-clothes: socks, thermals, 3 t-shirts, sweatpants, 2 shorts, jacket, rain jacket, rain pants
-phone, charger
-small backpack
-helmet
-hat
-FOOD AND COFFEE!
-tools and spare parts. Pretty basic stuff, bike pump, patch kit, wrenches, pliers, tube
-my bike and 4 panniers

That sounds like a ton of shit. Maybe it is. 80 pounds fully loaded with food and water, including my bike.

My favorite things I carry are my tent and my coffee maker. Together they weigh 3.5 pounds. At night, when it's thunderstorm and I'm dry, you bet I love that thing. And fuck mosquitoes! The coffee maker is dope, a must have for fiends like me.
-tent
-tarp
-cooking pot
-stove
-fuel cannister
-lighter
-water bag
-2 water bottles
-sleeping bag
-bungee cords
-duct tape
-helmet
-a book
-mug
-thermos
-phone, charger
-small backpack
-helmet
-hat
-FOOD AND COFFEE!
-my bike and 4 panniers

Thanks Dumbass! That pretty much mirrors my list. I'm thinking of making an alcohol stove out of a beer can to replace my expensive fueled MSR stove

D

Deleted member 11392

You should definitely bike tour! Where you thinking of going?

If you already have a msr stove, why replace it? Or was that just on your list? I found one used for 65 online. Works great. Never used a beer can stove. Don't mind mine though been using it twice a day. Gasoline only costs me 60 cents a week!

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I swiped my Ortlieb 4 pannier set off'n a Swiss hipster named Julio. He frikkin pissed on my leg while I was camping near Pescadero, so to my mind he got hwat was comin to him. Anyways,

-a Trangia methyl alcohol stove
-wok
-French press
-Cavalry sabre with Sam Browne belt and USGI scabbard and frog
-USGI 1927 LBE web gear
-imitation buffalo robe from Ikea
-clown facepaint
-pignose amp and Sears Roebuck Silvertone, circa 1974
-wineskin
-Pleather jacket with 'Genesis' concert '85 patch on back

Dunedrifter

Reaction score

If you already have a msr stove, why replace it? Or was that just on your list? I found one used for 65 online. Works great. Never used a beer can stove. Don't mind mine though been using it twice a day. Gasoline only costs me 60 cents a week!
I'm looking into

I'm looking into the transamerica trail (Oregon to Virginia) next year. My MSR uses the expensive canisters that also take a lot of space, so I'm looking to do something more efficient like alcohol.

Dunedrifter

Reaction score
I swiped my Ortlieb 4 pannier set off'n a Swiss hipster named Julio. He frikkin pissed on my leg while I was camping near Pescadero, so to my mind he got hwat was comin to him. Anyways,

-a Trangia methyl alcohol stove
-wok
-French press
-Cavalry sabre with Sam Browne belt and USGI scabbard and frog
-USGI 1927 LBE web gear
-imitation buffalo robe from Ikea
-clown facepaint
-pignose amp and Sears Roebuck Silvertone, circa 1974
-wineskin
-Pleather jacket with 'Genesis' concert '85 patch on back
A Swhipster!

ironman

Reaction score
We took everything thanks to my girl

Attachments

• IMG_20160219_152009-2.jpg
    IMG_20160219_152009-2.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 371

Ignatius

Reaction score
what I carry that I find handy :

-14w double usb solar charger (50$)+min 16000 mAh power bank (25$) + usb rechargeable lights means you can supply your electrical needs an not depend on plugs or buying coffee somewhere or cities. More independance.
-repair kit for matress and tent and bags (patches, glue, small scissors), sewing kit : they all take a beating while cycle touring and break at some point somehow
- a small bottle of diesel + toothbrush + rags : diesel is great for cleaning your bike parts, it's lubricated so no extra oil needed, you can find some anywhere, very handy to have, works really well for the bike to run smoothly again
- some baby cleaning tissues
- a bar of soap that can clean your clothes your dishes your body or whatever
- a good knife, a small and light cutting board + spices , they are light and really improve cooking
- a pharmacy with bandages, basic medecine (diarhea stuff, aspirins, antisceptics.....) will be useful too
- in clothes I personally like to be confortable in every situation, so hot cold rain dry wind stuff, but also a set of clothes that looks clean and nice, that doesn't make me look like a freak or a bum because in some situations it really opens doors to look nice and proper, people will be less resistant to you, it can facilitate getting invited in people's homes, looking for a job, getting laid or crossing borders with illegal substances.
- extra lighters
- strong will & comitment to it: it's pretty hard, you got to be tough, but it's well rewarding, it's adventure, it will make you strong, fit & free.

Safe travels!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads