What's in your panniers? (1 Viewer)

Dunedrifter

I'm exploring the idea of bike touring, and curious what some of you experienced dawgs carry in your home on wheels. What's the one thing you can't live without on the road that you sacrifice space and/or weight for?

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Dumbass

Wanderer
-tent
-tarp
-cooking pot
-stove
-fuel cannister
-lighter
-water bag
-2 water bottles
-sleeping bag
-bungee cords
-duct tape
-helmet
-water filter(for remote parts of Canada and Alaska)
-hygiene bag with various small things, toothbrush and whatnot
-a book
-notebook, envelopes, pen, stamps, passport, wallet
-collapsable coffee maker and filters
-mug
-thermos
-clothes: socks, thermals, 3 t-shirts, sweatpants, 2 shorts, jacket, rain jacket, rain pants
-phone, charger
-small backpack
-helmet
-hat
-FOOD AND COFFEE!
-tools and spare parts. Pretty basic stuff, bike pump, patch kit, wrenches, pliers, tube
-my bike and 4 panniers

That sounds like a ton of shit. Maybe it is. 80 pounds fully loaded with food and water, including my bike.

My favorite things I carry are my tent and my coffee maker. Together they weigh 3.5 pounds. At night, when it's thunderstorm and I'm dry, you bet I love that thing. And fuck mosquitoes! The coffee maker is dope, a must have for fiends like me.

OP
Dunedrifter

Dunedrifter

-tent
-tarp
-cooking pot
-stove
-fuel cannister
-lighter
-water bag
-2 water bottles
-sleeping bag
-bungee cords
-duct tape
-helmet
-a book
-mug
-thermos
-clothes: socks, thermals, 3 t-shirts, sweatpants, 2 shorts, jacket, rain jacket, rain pants
-phone, charger
-small backpack
-helmet
-hat
-FOOD AND COFFEE!
-tools and spare parts. Pretty basic stuff, bike pump, patch kit, wrenches, pliers, tube
-my bike and 4 panniers

That sounds like a ton of shit. Maybe it is. 80 pounds fully loaded with food and water, including my bike.

My favorite things I carry are my tent and my coffee maker. Together they weigh 3.5 pounds. At night, when it's thunderstorm and I'm dry, you bet I love that thing. And fuck mosquitoes! The coffee maker is dope, a must have for fiends like me.
-tent
-tarp
-cooking pot
-stove
-fuel cannister
-lighter
-water bag
-2 water bottles
-sleeping bag
-bungee cords
-duct tape
-helmet
-a book
-mug
-thermos
-phone, charger
-small backpack
-helmet
-hat
-FOOD AND COFFEE!
-my bike and 4 panniers

Thanks Dumbass! That pretty much mirrors my list. I'm thinking of making an alcohol stove out of a beer can to replace my expensive fueled MSR stove

Dumbass

Wanderer
You should definitely bike tour! Where you thinking of going?

If you already have a msr stove, why replace it? Or was that just on your list? I found one used for 65 online. Works great. Never used a beer can stove. Don't mind mine though been using it twice a day. Gasoline only costs me 60 cents a week!

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
I swiped my Ortlieb 4 pannier set off'n a Swiss hipster named Julio. He frikkin pissed on my leg while I was camping near Pescadero, so to my mind he got hwat was comin to him. Anyways,

-a Trangia methyl alcohol stove
-wok
-French press
-Cavalry sabre with Sam Browne belt and USGI scabbard and frog
-USGI 1927 LBE web gear
-imitation buffalo robe from Ikea
-clown facepaint
-pignose amp and Sears Roebuck Silvertone, circa 1974
-wineskin
-Pleather jacket with 'Genesis' concert '85 patch on back

OP
Dunedrifter

Dunedrifter

If you already have a msr stove, why replace it? Or was that just on your list? I found one used for 65 online. Works great. Never used a beer can stove. Don't mind mine though been using it twice a day. Gasoline only costs me 60 cents a week!
I'm looking into

I'm looking into the transamerica trail (Oregon to Virginia) next year. My MSR uses the expensive canisters that also take a lot of space, so I'm looking to do something more efficient like alcohol.

OP
Dunedrifter

Dunedrifter

I swiped my Ortlieb 4 pannier set off'n a Swiss hipster named Julio. He frikkin pissed on my leg while I was camping near Pescadero, so to my mind he got hwat was comin to him. Anyways,

-a Trangia methyl alcohol stove
-wok
-French press
-Cavalry sabre with Sam Browne belt and USGI scabbard and frog
-USGI 1927 LBE web gear
-imitation buffalo robe from Ikea
-clown facepaint
-pignose amp and Sears Roebuck Silvertone, circa 1974
-wineskin
-Pleather jacket with 'Genesis' concert '85 patch on back
A Swhipster!

Ignatius

Lurker
what I carry that I find handy :

-14w double usb solar charger (50$)+min 16000 mAh power bank (25$) + usb rechargeable lights means you can supply your electrical needs an not depend on plugs or buying coffee somewhere or cities. More independance.
-repair kit for matress and tent and bags (patches, glue, small scissors), sewing kit : they all take a beating while cycle touring and break at some point somehow
- a small bottle of diesel + toothbrush + rags : diesel is great for cleaning your bike parts, it's lubricated so no extra oil needed, you can find some anywhere, very handy to have, works really well for the bike to run smoothly again
- some baby cleaning tissues
- a bar of soap that can clean your clothes your dishes your body or whatever
- a good knife, a small and light cutting board + spices , they are light and really improve cooking
- a pharmacy with bandages, basic medecine (diarhea stuff, aspirins, antisceptics.....) will be useful too
- in clothes I personally like to be confortable in every situation, so hot cold rain dry wind stuff, but also a set of clothes that looks clean and nice, that doesn't make me look like a freak or a bum because in some situations it really opens doors to look nice and proper, people will be less resistant to you, it can facilitate getting invited in people's homes, looking for a job, getting laid or crossing borders with illegal substances.
- extra lighters
- strong will & comitment to it: it's pretty hard, you got to be tough, but it's well rewarding, it's adventure, it will make you strong, fit & free.

Safe travels!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Cussock What's the hardest part about starting out? Nomadic Culture 16
Cussock What's your weirdest experience on the road? General Banter 19
R What's up? I'm just another lurker waiting to graduate Introductions 2
Wheat2020 What's A Bag Loadout for Around $200? Bike Touring 10
skeezykaneezy Looking forward to what's next Introductions 3
Matt Derrick Resolved Changes to the 'what's new' forum page! Let me know what you think! Suggestion Box 17
Benji91 What's the biggest detour you've had to take? General Banter 8
Daisy What's going on for 2019 Halloween where you're at? Events / Gatherings / Festivals 10
Mathurin Kerbouchard Video What's the difference between a Hobo, tramp and homebum? Nomadic Culture 2
B Hey guys......new here.....what's up.... Introductions 2
IDoRails69 Hey what's up fam! Riding again soon and trying to build a crew. Introductions 7
Tony Pro What's your packing list for the tropics? Miscellaneous Gear 3
AwakenedAdele What's your dream and what's stopping you? General Banter 15
saul Not sure what's eating me up? Staying Healthy 8
Crash What's the fastest way to get from Beaumont to Amarillo train hopping? Train Hopping 7
OuttaTownWeGo What's your favorite pack for riding rails?! Train Hopping 35
filmpunk New here, tryna see what's up?! Introductions 7
Honey Crust What's up what's up! Introductions 1
Teller of Tales What's up, everybody? I'm new here. Introductions 5
CelticWanderer what's your favorite sayings/aphorisms? General Banter 26
Matt Derrick What's your opinion on the podcast so far? (Poll) StP Podcast (Archived) 4
jimbo slice hey you....you with the face...what's your favorite place to spend winter!! General Banter 3
Kaotic What's up StP, Just my lil introduction. Introductions 9
Tengu91 What's up everybody? I'm Nik. Introductions 7
S What's the story with Maine? United States 1
nobrains 'What's in the bag' with nobrains! Miscellaneous Gear 6
Coywolf What's worth seeing in the Northern/Eastern US? Train Hopping 29
Koala What's your best dismount story? Train Hopping 11
Rolling Blackouts What's good in the Dominican Republic? Central America 0
Matt Derrick Resolved What's your opinion of the articles section? Suggestion Box 6
angelfuck what's up Introductions 4
buckeye What's up!! Introductions 3
LazyMofo Aye, what's up y'all! Introductions 9
S What's the consensus on Wichita KS? Travel Stories 6
star el what's good y'all Introductions 9
Childgoddess What's the best way to stash your shit outside? Miscellaneous Gear 10
landpirate News & Blogs What's it like living as a crust punk - Vice article Nomadic Culture 5
adventurekid What's up Introductions 2
PrisMiQue What's with me and pinups Art & Music 10
ElderGreen9 What's the shitiest place in the US y'all have stayed? United States 65
maracasan What's up doc? Introductions 0
Trip614 What's Good? Introductions 3
sandpaper cowboy what's going where Train Hopping 1
VikingAdventurer What's your opinion on "street retreats"? Nomadic Culture 9
Frodo Anyone ever have weird run ins with human trafficking on the road? What's your story? General Banter 6
rooster831 what's the most expensive/interesting ride you've been picked up in? Hitchhiking 13
Greenhorn What's up STP? Introductions 3
milkhauler What's your 20? (Location) Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping 18
A Video Pre/post hitchhiking video: What's in my backpack Hitchhiking 2
DrAwqward What's good Pacific Northwest?? (from Tacoma Washington) Introductions 0