whatcha reading right now?

D

Deleted member 1505

I just started reading a new survival book i got for my birthday "Hawkes Green Beret Survival Manual". Survival books are my thing... Also working on "slaughterhouse-five" by Kurt Vonnegut.

MiztressWinter

Like A Boss
Reaction score
I'm going to read the following two books:
Animal Farm by George Orwell
1984 George Orwell

I haven't read these yet so I'm pretty excited about it!

Cade

Reaction score
Stranger In a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein. He was the one that wrote Super Troopers that was a serious science fiction novel that was made into a joke movie.

Detrivore

Reaction score
Been reading a ton of Ed Abbey as well. I couldn't get through "monkey wrench gang" that quick either but his non-fiction is much better and has a lot of the same ideas, "desert solitare" is good. He is totally misogynist in his fiction, hot babes come out of nowhere to bone old outdoorsmen (coincidence?)

All Derrick Jensen books, partially through "Endgame"

Carlos Casteneda "art of dreaming" -60 punk points but has been interesting, I read it before sleep and remember dreams way better and vaguely control them.

Slavoj Zizek "in defense of lost causes" modern day philospher, sometimes i loose him, sometimes he compares 9/11 to star wars

macks

Ballsy Adventurer
Reaction score
Website
macksemil.wordpress.com
Now/Recent:

Jared Diamond (Guns Germs and Steel & Collapse)
Roger Zelazny (The First & Second Chronicles of Amber)
The Northwest Salmon Crisis : A Documentary History (Joseph Cone & Sandy Ridlington)
Salmon Without Rivers (Jim Lichatowich)
The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand)
On Human Nature (E.O. Wilson)
The Unnatural History of the Sea (Callum Roberts)
The Journals of Lewis and Clark (DiVoto edition)
Sometimes a Great Notion (Ken Kesey)
The Selfish Gene (Richard Dawkins)

BanMatt

Reaction score
What I read is really sporadic and random. Lately though Journey to Ixlan from Carlos Castenada, Cliff notes from Paradise Lost, and a bunch of graphic novels mostly Batman.

Detrivore

Reaction score
FUCK YES! Journey to Ixlan! Now I don't feel like such a crystal toting new age freak. I recommend Tales of Power the most out of casteneda's work.

macks, i just got done reading an in depth book about NW migratory fish this afternoon. I live on a salmon stream and am anticipating them in a few months. their carcasses are hanging in the trees around here (from birds?). Been vegan a long time but am trying to forage/hunt my food now but also trying to figure out if the NW can spare the few salmon left. Its not looking good but I will probably try to grab a male, eat a few to make myself do it. I also am from Iowa and this is all new and exiting to me.

macks

Ballsy Adventurer
Reaction score
Website
macksemil.wordpress.com

rationale

Reaction score
The Culture of Make Believe by Derrick Jensen. It is good so far.

rationale

Reaction score
Recently read Ishmael by Daniel Quinn and How Nonviolence Protects the State by Peter Gelderloos. Both are recommended.

Sandbeard

Reaction score
Currently reading the following :-

Crazy for God - Frank Schaeffer
The Puzzle of Ethics - Peter Vardy & Paul Grosch
The Road Less Travelled - M. Scott Peck
Christi-Anarchy - Dave Andrews

Got a list of books to look for next time I'm in the library as well thanks to this thread.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads