What up StP friends! Awesome site here. | Squat the Planet

What up StP friends! Awesome site here.

Chillawhile

Reaction score
So, I'm Chillawhile aka "Chill" fka Gypsy/Grizzley. I gotta say StP is pretty dope sauce! There are some great resources here. Thank you to everyone who adds input and value to this community.

I've been travelling about 7 years. Here, there and in between mostly thumbing it or rubber tramping. Tho I will (and have) travel(d) by just about any means of transport I can find. (once hitched a helicopter ride for about 150 miles) Im currently in Georgia seeing family and friends. Making moves west after the holidays. (if I can sit still that long)

Just wanted to say hello, introductions and all that good stuff. Much Love to all the wandering souls out there!

"keep your head up! and your eyes open"

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Welcome to STP! Glad you like the site - great owner, great resources and an awesome community here. Enjoy!

Reactions: Kal

Kal

Reaction score
Hitched a ride on a helicopter, that's just freaking awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome to S.T.P have fun and be safe and if you have a camera take pictures.

Chillawhile

Reaction score
Hitched a helicopter ride for 150 miles?! I have to hear about that one ::wideeyed::

Welcome, Chillawhile :) Happy to have you aboard.

Years ago, while I was travelling around New Zealand (coolest place on earth by the way) I had picked up a bit of work on a farm in the middle of nowhere on the south island. Raes Junction was the name of the "town" that had no shops what-so-ever, only building was the post office and a pub that had been closed a decade, only a cross roads that was rarely travelled. The farm next to the one I was working/staying at had a guy come to spray the fields with lime one day. Talked to the guy for a while and ended up getting a quick heli ride around, maybe 5 or 10 minutes before he had to get to work spraying.

The guy had told me he was taking the chopper to the next job site to park for the night after he finnished where we were. After he finnished the work and was getting ready to go I asked if I could hop on for the ride to wherever it was he was headed... I didnt care where it went, when was I ever going to get that chance again? The pilot agreed (cus Kiwi people are just good people) and off we went.

The ride was incredible! The pilot scared the shit out of me a few times by randomly and without warning dropping down into the valleys toward mountain tops, etc. to "scare the deer" which he did as we saw several running as he made these manuvers.
The flight took a little over an hour, and ended up somewhere (cant remembet at all where we ended up) about 150 ish miles away as the crow flies.

Now, this whole trip was unplanned, and I had intended to work longer on the farm, so I had to work my way back to Raes Junct. Which ended up taking about 10 hours thumbing on the ground. And ended with me and my road dog drunk around 1am thinking we could walk the 30 something kilometers back to the farm from the pub in the next closest town. This resulted in getting picked up by the cop in that area. Who had been off duty at home and got called to check out the 2 drunks walking through bum fuck nowhere. He picked us up, drove us back to the farm and told us to be careful and have a good night.

I Love NZ!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
that's a great story man, thanks for sharing, and welcome to the website!

iflewoverthecuckoosnest

Reaction score
Years ago, while I was travelling around New Zealand (coolest place on earth by the way) I had picked up a bit of work on a farm in the middle of nowhere on the south island. Raes Junction was the name of the "town" that had no shops what-so-ever, only building was the post office and a pub that had been closed a decade, only a cross roads that was rarely travelled. The farm next to the one I was working/staying at had a guy come to spray the fields with lime one day. Talked to the guy for a while and ended up getting a quick heli ride around, maybe 5 or 10 minutes before he had to get to work spraying.

The guy had told me he was taking the chopper to the next job site to park for the night after he finnished where we were. After he finnished the work and was getting ready to go I asked if I could hop on for the ride to wherever it was he was headed... I didnt care where it went, when was I ever going to get that chance again? The pilot agreed (cus Kiwi people are just good people) and off we went.

The ride was incredible! The pilot scared the shit out of me a few times by randomly and without warning dropping down into the valleys toward mountain tops, etc. to "scare the deer" which he did as we saw several running as he made these manuvers.
The flight took a little over an hour, and ended up somewhere (cant remembet at all where we ended up) about 150 ish miles away as the crow flies.

Now, this whole trip was unplanned, and I had intended to work longer on the farm, so I had to work my way back to Raes Junct. Which ended up taking about 10 hours thumbing on the ground. And ended with me and my road dog drunk around 1am thinking we could walk the 30 something kilometers back to the farm from the pub in the next closest town. This resulted in getting picked up by the cop in that area. Who had been off duty at home and got called to check out the 2 drunks walking through bum fuck nowhere. He picked us up, drove us back to the farm and told us to be careful and have a good night.

I Love NZ!

That is awesome! That would not have gone down so well in the states, lol. I am so glad that you had such an incredible experience. Just makes me want to check out that region of the world even more :)

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
fucking NZ, man..

sounds cool..

my brain is rolling..

been thinking the pacific..

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads