What up StP friends! Awesome site here. (1 Viewer)

Chillawhile

Lurker
So, I'm Chillawhile aka "Chill" fka Gypsy/Grizzley. I gotta say StP is pretty dope sauce! There are some great resources here. Thank you to everyone who adds input and value to this community.

I've been travelling about 7 years. Here, there and in between mostly thumbing it or rubber tramping. Tho I will (and have) travel(d) by just about any means of transport I can find. (once hitched a helicopter ride for about 150 miles) Im currently in Georgia seeing family and friends. Making moves west after the holidays. (if I can sit still that long)

Just wanted to say hello, introductions and all that good stuff. Much Love to all the wandering souls out there!

"keep your head up! and your eyes open"

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Staff member
Current Location
Rochester, NY
Welcome to STP! Glad you like the site - great owner, great resources and an awesome community here. Enjoy!

Kal

Pilgrim
Current Location
Everywhere
Hitched a ride on a helicopter, that's just freaking awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome to S.T.P have fun and be safe and if you have a camera take pictures.

OP
Chillawhile

Chillawhile

Lurker
Hitched a helicopter ride for 150 miles?! I have to hear about that one ::wideeyed::

Welcome, Chillawhile :) Happy to have you aboard.

Years ago, while I was travelling around New Zealand (coolest place on earth by the way) I had picked up a bit of work on a farm in the middle of nowhere on the south island. Raes Junction was the name of the "town" that had no shops what-so-ever, only building was the post office and a pub that had been closed a decade, only a cross roads that was rarely travelled. The farm next to the one I was working/staying at had a guy come to spray the fields with lime one day. Talked to the guy for a while and ended up getting a quick heli ride around, maybe 5 or 10 minutes before he had to get to work spraying.

The guy had told me he was taking the chopper to the next job site to park for the night after he finnished where we were. After he finnished the work and was getting ready to go I asked if I could hop on for the ride to wherever it was he was headed... I didnt care where it went, when was I ever going to get that chance again? The pilot agreed (cus Kiwi people are just good people) and off we went.

The ride was incredible! The pilot scared the shit out of me a few times by randomly and without warning dropping down into the valleys toward mountain tops, etc. to "scare the deer" which he did as we saw several running as he made these manuvers.
The flight took a little over an hour, and ended up somewhere (cant remembet at all where we ended up) about 150 ish miles away as the crow flies.

Now, this whole trip was unplanned, and I had intended to work longer on the farm, so I had to work my way back to Raes Junct. Which ended up taking about 10 hours thumbing on the ground. And ended with me and my road dog drunk around 1am thinking we could walk the 30 something kilometers back to the farm from the pub in the next closest town. This resulted in getting picked up by the cop in that area. Who had been off duty at home and got called to check out the 2 drunks walking through bum fuck nowhere. He picked us up, drove us back to the farm and told us to be careful and have a good night.

I Love NZ!

Current Location
Florence, South Carolina
Years ago, while I was travelling around New Zealand (coolest place on earth by the way) I had picked up a bit of work on a farm in the middle of nowhere on the south island. Raes Junction was the name of the "town" that had no shops what-so-ever, only building was the post office and a pub that had been closed a decade, only a cross roads that was rarely travelled. The farm next to the one I was working/staying at had a guy come to spray the fields with lime one day. Talked to the guy for a while and ended up getting a quick heli ride around, maybe 5 or 10 minutes before he had to get to work spraying.

The guy had told me he was taking the chopper to the next job site to park for the night after he finnished where we were. After he finnished the work and was getting ready to go I asked if I could hop on for the ride to wherever it was he was headed... I didnt care where it went, when was I ever going to get that chance again? The pilot agreed (cus Kiwi people are just good people) and off we went.

The ride was incredible! The pilot scared the shit out of me a few times by randomly and without warning dropping down into the valleys toward mountain tops, etc. to "scare the deer" which he did as we saw several running as he made these manuvers.
The flight took a little over an hour, and ended up somewhere (cant remembet at all where we ended up) about 150 ish miles away as the crow flies.

Now, this whole trip was unplanned, and I had intended to work longer on the farm, so I had to work my way back to Raes Junct. Which ended up taking about 10 hours thumbing on the ground. And ended with me and my road dog drunk around 1am thinking we could walk the 30 something kilometers back to the farm from the pub in the next closest town. This resulted in getting picked up by the cop in that area. Who had been off duty at home and got called to check out the 2 drunks walking through bum fuck nowhere. He picked us up, drove us back to the farm and told us to be careful and have a good night.

I Love NZ!
That is awesome! That would not have gone down so well in the states, lol. I am so glad that you had such an incredible experience. Just makes me want to check out that region of the world even more :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$32.77
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $32.77 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $32.77 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $32.77 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $32.77 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Reading "Last of the Hippies."
Love the update yo, looks greaaattt
@Matt Derrick im digging the site man. clean, organized ez as hell to navigate on desktop and mobile. keep it up. we appreciate you.
Been a while, not even Christmas yet and I'm already stir crazy. My hours got cut down at work too so it's gonna be a rough cold season...
It's going to take me a few days to get through updating the website design so please pardon our crust.
Headed east only uncle Pete knows where too though!!!
Childgoddess wrote on MirandaLeigh's profile.
Hello there! how's it going? just saying a friendly hello, I heard your from tbay too, just looking for some likeminded friends here.
My man back in jail :( its only a month, but it hurts as hell without him, how to cope.
The website is going to look a little funky today while I tweak some things. Look out!

Members online