What route would you take from portland to taos-ish? | Squat the Planet

What route would you take from portland to taos-ish?

Maxnomad

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do this pretty soon and all the interstate routes look pretty hellish tbh. Are there better options or do I just suck it up and get on 84?

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Either the 101 to the I40, or you could take the Eastern route, and hit the 395 that parallels the Eastern Sierras down to the 40.

Screw the 84, it sucks. So boring, and, Idaho....

• Useful
Reactions: Crazy Hobo Johnny

Ringo

Reaction score
84 is great. Who doesn’t like the Columbia river Gorge and Snake River Plain? Jesus!

I think Coywolfs idea is great. 395 is pretty awesome and takes you through a lot of gorgeous mountains and open country. You could also take 84 to i-15 to SLC. Then take whatever Highway it is from Provo and Spanish fork over to price and 191 south from price. It’s a nice alterative if you want some desert two-lane action

Coywolf

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Then take whatever Highway it is from Provo and Spanish fork over to price and 191 south from price. It’s a nice alterative if you want some desert two-lane action

I would also highly recommend this route. Going through Moab, Durango, Pagosa springs, and then South is amazing. Easy route too

Coywolf

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
@Maxnomad
This route is extremely remote. I've driven it a few times. Make sure you have supplies. Best rides are with a truck.

However, allot of GPS are recommending this route as a north to south option. May have some tourist s. Nevada hitching is no joke. You can be stranded forever in the middle of nowhere.

Reactions: Maxnomad

MissAnnThrope

Reaction score
Yo I'm headin that way. I wanna hit up the Grand Canyon before Taos tho. Maybe Moab, more desert too.. I'm north now, but soon be heading South. You still tryin to go? ?

Coywolf

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Damn. 395 whooped my ass

What was bad about it? Curious of recent conditions.

Where did you start when you got on the 395, sorry man, I forgot to mention some stretches of that highway are really bad to hitch, depending on where you start

Maxnomad

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Eh, i got a ride like 20 miles down the road to wagontire with the one resident of wagontire. He was really cool, and i crashed in an empty house w a mattress an everything. He said there was an airport still listed on charts, that was just like 150 feet of blacktop with nothing else, and sometimes planes would fly over looking for a place to land and then just keep going. The next day i pretty much just stood there, probably saw about ten cars go by. I should have waited for a longer ride i guess

And i was really not ready for how dry it was, im pretty sure you even said something about water but i just brought like 3 bottles and thought id be good 🤷‍♂️

Coywolf

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Ya. The 395 from Washington to Burns is definitely the worst part. Anything south of Burns should be fine.

When you get past the California border, hot Hong gets alot better.

MJC845X

Reaction score
Ended up taking a similar route from Albuquerque to Eugene,
NM has great public transit, And taos to fort garland was really easy to hitch. I ended up taking the interstate to Denver cuz we were on a time crunch. Got rides from friends rest of the way on the interstates so I'm not much use.

San Luis valley was wonderful though easy rides, great views, friendly people can't wait to go back.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads