What Can We Do To Support Peace? | Squat the Planet

What Can We Do To Support Peace?

Lord Strange

Reaction score
O.k, this is sort of my big deal. I'm a big believer that the world would be a lot better if people would work towards peace and nonviolence.
Are any of you here interested in promoting peace and nonviolence? What do you think is the best way to encourage peace and nonviolence in practical, pragmatic ways? I think if we couold get nuclear disarmament, that would be a good start!!!

LeeevinKansas

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
How about no matter how many revolutions are started, no matter how much blood you shed...no matter how much propaganda you spread, no matter how many peace rallies you go to, WE WILL NEVER ACHIEVE WORLD PEACE.

seriously dudes...theres what 9 billion ppl on earth almost? a million die every day a million are born.....

it would take multiple people a life times work with the same agenda to even make a noticeable dent...

plus you have to take in peoples religions, lifestyles, beliefs, etc are all going to come into plaay. everyones idea of world peace is different.

and what about those who dont want world peace? will you purge them from the earth in your conquest for world peace?

world peace is impossible.

Reactions: soapybum

baconrind

Reaction score
Ooh ooh! I have an opinion!
How about destroying every violent living thing with violence? That would destroy the planet. Thus bringing world peace. Yay! ( did you see that pack of lions kill the elephant?)
I support peoples right for peaceful protest but I don't see it getting them anywhere. Occupy Wall street for example. Peaceful protest right? Would be a lot more affective if they actually started fighting back. Start sniping the 1%. Corral the cops macing innocent people in a big plastic orange fence and mace them back! This peaceful protest could also be the catalyst of civil resistance. Marshal law. Concentration camps. Doesn't sound very peaceful. But if you want to go take away all of those nuclear weapons so the world can have peace... good luck disposing of them. They never should have been created. Peace!

Reactions: soapybum

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
PEACE AND ANARCHY = :)

soapybum

Reaction score
I cant stand dogmatic pacificsts. Look at any "great non-violent leader" and whatever social movement they were part of and you'll find that they werent, or the movement succeeded because of violent means.

CXR1037

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Seriously, world peace cannot and will NEVER exist. Dissenting opinions, beliefs, etc. There's no way to end it. Peace can only be attained at a personal level. The second another person enters the fray, you have the potential for an end of peace.

I think the best you can do is sway a FEW people toward peace. Be the best person you can, don't put people down, etc. Being a good person is contagious to some people.

cxr - "so goodbye to anarchy, we gotta do the right thing, and install some social systems so our friends survive the spring..."

venusinpisces

Reaction score
I think you've arrived at the wrong website. Expect hostility, apathy and ridicule. Many people who post here are jaded and take belief in pacifism as a sign of weakness. At any rate, my opinion is that peace is primarily the responsibility of the powerful. For example, you can't expect a victim of domestic violence to remain peaceful in the face of assault, nor an indigenous community whose entire way of life is being forcibly eradicated via neocolonial policies. However, it is reasonable to demand for our government to end all foreign wars and occupations immediately. And it is also within the bounds of possibility to build a U.S.-based social justice movement which practices nonviolence as the default standard, and this has, in fact, been achieved at the overwhelming majority of Occupy protests. Given the current technological capacities the military police state has at its disposal for crowd control, infiltration and surveillance, there really is no other effective option at this point.

Donnie

Reaction score
Seriously, world peace cannot and will NEVER exist

Agreed.

I do think that we can make the world a bit more peaceful though. Education, knowledge, and the spread of wealth are some of the best ways to make the world a better place. It's up to us to make changes, because nobodies going to do it for us.

It's easy to get pessimistic when thinking about everything that's fucked up, but think about all the things that are beautiful in our world: music, art, friendship. It's our responsibility to make the most of what we have, even if it's just a rock floating in outer space. We can't make life perfect for everyone, but we can do our best.

Zorila

Reaction score
Website
squattheplanet.com
violence is part of life, basicly life cannot exist without violence, i simply get it and don't criticize it and it works for me, there is a balance and without violence peace can't exist. this principle also applies to dumpstering, without consumerist people, some squatter opportunities would disapear, or if every individual were a squatter, life would get very primitive and i don't think that every squatter sees a good thing in it

Reactions: Donnie

Gudj

Oogle
Reaction score
Website
wolfmode.wordpress.com
O.k, this is sort of my big deal. I'm a big believer that the world would be a lot better if people would work towards peace and nonviolence.
Are any of you here interested in promoting peace and nonviolence? What do you think is the best way to encourage peace and nonviolence in practical, pragmatic ways? I think if we couold get nuclear disarmament, that would be a good start!!!

If you want to help create a less fucked up world, the first strep is to drop the pacifist bullshit and start taking actual responsibility for the less visible violence that you and everyone else actively help perpetuate daily.
The next step is probably something along the lines of destroying the root causes of systemic, normalized or hidden violence by any means necessary.

Reactions: Ocotillo

venusinpisces

Reaction score
If you want to help create a less fucked up world, the first strep is to drop the pacifist bullshit .
Just out of curiosity, would you say the same thing to Martin Luther King? Or to any of the huge number of people of color who practice direct action tactics formed around principles of nonviolence?

justo

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, would you say the same thing to Martin Luther King? Or to any of the huge number of people of color who practice direct action tactics formed around principles of nonviolence?

I would.

Black people are still second rate in a lot of places, especially where I'm from. Kids are still being taught that they are basically a subspecies, I was brought up like that and so were all my white friends. I knew it was bullshit from the beginning and there are other anomalies like myself.

The slaves should have rose up and joined the native americans in killing their slave masters.

Reactions: dprogram

venusinpisces

Reaction score
The slaves should have rose up and joined the native americans in killing their slave masters.
Actually, that was exactly what happened in Haiti and people there have it far worse than anyone in the States. Obviously there is a long way to go before racism is dismantled but at least black people here can eat in a restaurant without having the cops called on account of Jim Crow laws.

porky

Reaction score
I read original post but not all the replies but would like to say my bit anyway... WORLD PEACE is FANTASY, to get rid of all forms of conflict you would also have to eradicate all religions, all cultural and historical backgrounds of humanity.. hold on you can have WORLD PEACE just eradicate hew human race....

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
I say kill everyone who apposes my opinion. Might not be many people left after, but we would all be holding hands dancing in circles with rainbows shooting out our ass. Doesn't get any simpler than that.

Reactions: hshh

shiftingGEARS

Reaction score
to subdue violence would be to subdue the laws of nature, to subdue the laws of nature you surely will be diging yourself an early grave. in the real world its survival of the fittest, your ether willing to kill for your own survival or your not, if not i suggest you hide under a rock the rest of your life, because the laws of nature will not be subdued.

Vonuist

Reaction score
Website
trashwiki.org
Point at soldiers and laugh. They hate that.

travelin

Reaction score
yes, point at the soldiers and laugh.

perhaps they hate that.

but...

they will lay down their own lives for you to have the freedom to laugh at them.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads