water filters

xbocax

Reaction score
so i racked REI more expensive water filters but as i read the cover when i got home it says does not filter viruses or chemicals. It does filter bacteria and a couple other things but how safe is the filter actually? Any suggestions on filters that are better? Should I even use a filter? aaaaaaaand what would this filter be ideal for?

Pilgrim

Reaction score
Lesson learned: always read the package before you throw down the cash! I hope you didnt pay more than $40 for that filter, otherwise return it if you can.

Always read the filter specifications, it really will make a difference.

For your filter, it would only protect you from what it says, bacteria like giardia. it would be good if you found a clean body of water out in the woods, like on a camping trip.

But certainly not suitable for water with signs of chemicals in it, bodies of water next to a farm, city pools, and decadent murky puddles of horseshit soup.

There are filters out there that can block viruses, and maybe even chemicals, but they are more expensive. if your willing to pay for convenience, go for it. Otherwise, with your filter, avoid chemically contaminated water, and boil what you filter from your device to kill any straggler bacterium and viruses. And your set!

Pilgrim

Reaction score
Also, filters offer an element of convenience. Lets say your in a yard, about to catch out, but you need to get some water real quick. Grab your quality filter, and start pumping. No viruses, no bacteria, and reduced solids = healthy water. If you have the right filter.

Compare that too the more time consuming process of collecting, straining through a bandana or other strain like filter, and boiling.

Good for the lazy, the short on time, and the yuppie.

xbocax

Reaction score
alrii well like i said i racked it or if people dont understand the term racked it means stole...so i guess i didnt get what i wanted but at the cost of nothing....i guess ill sell it and try n find one that worx for me...the yuppie ;]

Reaction score
Sawyer Squeeze filter. 60 bucks, 99.9% bacteria and parasite, which is good for just about any water in the USA. Million gallon guarantee, light and small, no moving parts, no pumping, easy to clean. I used this thing for the PCT and AT for two people and its still going strong 5,000 miles later. I sound like a fuckin salesman but that little bastard is seriously one of the most valuable gear-for-weight thing I pack.

Traveler

Reaction score
I use an MSR miniworks es and it's badass. Always gives crystal clear water and the filter is easy to clean for when the water is super dirty.

Chemicals that are water soluble are harder to filter. A majority of portable filters will not filter these. Most portable filters will focus on bacteria and protozoan parasites. I use a LifeStraw its lightweight, and cheap. If I suspect my water source has been contaminated with chemicals I will avoid it. Unless its a life and death situation, then distilling it would be an option. None of the filters listed in this thread filter water soluble chemicals, btw.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads