Washing your clothes

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Reminder, the hobo code rule number 1 is: Don't listen to what any one tells you! That rules out the rest of the hobo code and you homo huck.

I'm unsure if that's an insult since your inability to put it together into a proper sentence just makes it confusing.

Last edited:

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
I'm just going to stick to the laundry question on here and ignore all the other banter.
Some tips to keep in mind:
Anti-bacterial soft soap will work sufficient, you can always acquire some from a public restroom. If it's in a big dispenser, then carry a tiny bottle on you to fill up. You'll need some anyway to bathe every now and then(if you prefer to do so).
Use whatever you can scrounge up and is clean enough to wash them in, discarded bucket, empty old cooler, the water container of a dehumidifier, baby pool, whatever you find on the trash. Since I always carry a few construction strength trash bags, I sometimes dig a small hole in the ground and line it with one. Do your laundry that way.
You can do it without a washboard, just put some elbow grease into it. There are many good reasons to wash your clothes every now and then. Lingering residue from past spilled meals attracting animals, is one that comes to mind.
Also growing bacteria from said stains. Also if you hitchhike instead of hopping trains, I'd consider cleaning up every now and then. I generally just worry about keeping my socks and underwear clean for hygiene reasons, unless my outer clothes start to smell too bad. Those I can wash in a large plastic shopping bag.
Dry them on a line or cut some saplings as poles to hang your clothes on.

Above all, just be resourceful and improvise. That's what I do. If you can't find a way, make one!

Reactions: Matt Derrick

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
I'm just going to stick to the laundry question on here and ignore all the other banter.
Some tips to keep in mind:
Anti-bacterial soft soap will work sufficient, you can always acquire some from a public restroom. If it's in a big dispenser, then carry a tiny bottle on you to fill up. You'll need some anyway to bathe every now and then(if you prefer to do so).
Use whatever you can scrounge up and is clean enough to wash them in, discarded bucket, empty old cooler, the water container of a dehumidifier, baby pool, whatever you find on the trash. Since I always carry a few construction strength trash bags, I sometimes dig a small hole in the ground and line it with one. Do your laundry that way.
You can do it without a washboard, just put some elbow grease into it. There are many good reasons to wash your clothes every now and then. Lingering residue from past spilled meals attracting animals, is one that comes to mind.
Also growing bacteria from said stains. Also if you hitchhike instead of hopping trains, I'd consider cleaning up every now and then. I generally just worry about keeping my socks and underwear clean for hygiene reasons, unless my outer clothes start to smell too bad. Those I can wash in a large plastic shopping bag.
Dry them on a line or cut some saplings as poles to hang your clothes on.

Above all, just be resourceful and improvise. That's what I do. If you can't find a way, make one!

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score
Agitation is the key, you really don't even need soap that often (except for stains. I think baking soda will work for that). If you don't want to wear your arms out washing and agitating, find a basin big enough to where you can just throw your clothes in and step on them over and over like one would for juicing grapes for wine or something.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score

Okay I got myself one of these, for when something needs washing and the washing machine is not available. It actually works pretty well, but the flexible "wash board" is barely there- small rubbery bumps pretty much. It is the only option available now, but there is supposed to be something coming up called the Expeditionary Hygiene System which can additionally be a shower bag. Who knows when it'll come though. The scrubba also doubles as a waterproof bag if you take the time to dry out the inside after you wash clothing, which you should probably do, and in a pinch can carry water for you.

The main part of this that makes it different from a dry bag, is a valve to let out the air, so when you're kneading it like some dough, you're forcing water to move through the clothing, instead of air all over the place. So, if you're only doing this for socks and underwear, you could do this with a hydration bladder, if you don't mind bleaching the inside of it when you're done and then washing the bleach out so you don't drink soap and crud water. You don't need to use that much bleach, so it is an option.

A better option, come to think of it is to recycle a space bag, you'll need a space bag, duct tape and a buckle like those found in the child restraint belts of your usual grocery story shopping cart. Cut the top off (the bottom has a spigot), then use the duct tape to attach the buckle to that end so it looks like the scrubba bag, and voila! Your own diy scrubba bag.

Last edited:

6bummin6it6

Reaction score
wash boards are really effective, and you can wash in rivers, luckily for me i love the smell of a river, i don't know why, i just do, so there is nothing better than smelling like one ya know? but laundromats are great too, especially when its cold out, nothing worse that putting on some icy undies. state parks, some truck stops, hell, go around door to door asking to use someones washing stuff, sooner or later someone may let you.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads