warm hibernation spots in europe good for camping and dumpstering?

axolotl

Reaction score
winter´s coming and i´ll be heading south soon... by default probably spain... does anyone know of any good areas in south of spain or south anywhere, where you haven´t had problems staying warm, sleeping safe, and finding food? very much appreciated!

keg

Reaction score
i was thinking the same thing.somebody teach us what we need to know.it may seem stupid to leave hawaii in winter.but winter in hawaii means rain,lots of rain.

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Im thniking of leaving denmark for spain soon, getting cold and dark here.
I have a lot of friends in granada, I hear its really easy to busk there, and there are communities of squatted caves near the city, I have a few on hold, apparently all set up and really nice.
also shortly south of there is a community in huts on a beach.
Havent been there personally, but may be soon, and it sounds nice to me!

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
oh, dumpstering is nto usually good in warm places though, as a rule. but we may try to ask at the stores for free things in granada, it usually works. suprisingly asking for things for free usually gets them.

axolotl

Reaction score
i ended up coming to madeira - portuguese island near the canaries. not a place to meet people but i came to clear my mind...
flights were pretty cheap from europe and there´s lots of nature, unpolluted air, ocean...
i would be incredibly surprised if someone else from the forum showed up here but if you do, let me know.

haven´t found dumpstering ops yet, probably in the capital it´s possible but i´ve been staying outside of it.

portugal in general must be really cheap though, mainland probably more than here, and here, an espresso is sometimes 45 cents, you can have a meal of fruits for under a euro, or pastries for under a euro each, i´ve even seen specials in cafés like 2 slices pizza + coffee + juice for 3.50 (that´s like the price of coffee alone in some european cities...)
not to mention that supermarket stuff is much cheaper than anywhere else i´ve been in the first world, and neighborhood ones don´t have any security

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
Hey, I dunno how long you stay there, but my partener and I are headed to southern spain, then maybe on to morocco, and through the islands on a trip trans atlantic, you have plans on how long you are staying, or need any contacts there, I have lots of friends in the area.
Let me know-

axolotl

Reaction score
cool, i´m actually thinking of moving on to morocco, because the weather has been sucking here and it´s not really fun to do anything when any moment it might rain and you have nowhere to get dry.

do you have any tips for morocco?

oh - and by trans atlantic you mean sailing to the americas? that´s an idea that´s been obsessing a friend of mine, i´d be interested in knowing what route you take and where you land there, actually everything about it, it´s a dream to learn how to sail one day.

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
yeah, sailing to the americas. it seems that almost every boat that goes from africa or Europe, stops over in the azores, many in the canaries. so the route would be morocco, canaries, azores, then on to somewhere in south america. (this final destination could be anywhere, personally, I would head for somewhere poor with little control over their ports).
Dont really want to get that much more into it on public forums, but if you want more info you can email me: kylemfwelch@spaz.org
also by email, if you are interested, there is a rainbow gathering that started about a week ago in morocco. Im not normally the rainbow type myself, but the people I have met in Europe that are going to these things are not all just the peace and love hippies you find in the US, they actualy seem to be pretty cool.
I hvave directions,that you should not be able to find publicly, and will send them along to you if you want.
other than that, I have never been to morrocco, and would just assume then standards of keeping you valuables close, and being respectful to the people around, remember its a muslim country, and most people speak no english, and very little french.
I know a lot of people from there, and people who have travelled, and have heard that as long as you arent in the cities that the people are very open and friendly, its not uncommon to hitch hikie camels, and music is universal, dont know if you travel with instruments, but thiscan get you into a lot of places that you wont without.
good luck, keep in touch if you head that way, as I am almost certainly going to be there in about a month.

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
Just a note to freeloaders-
I DO NOT HAVE A BOAT.
I have recieved several emails after mentioning trying to make a trip by hitching and working, trans atlantic. I said yes, it would be by sailing. I personally however, do not have a boat. I am travelling homeless, with little or no funding most of the time.
I'm sorry I cannot make your dreams come true, but if you are looking to sail somewhere, go to a harbour, and meet people with boats.
Goodluck with nautical hitch hiking, I have yet to do it, and if I do, I might post on here how it works, or I might keep my mouth shut to save it from being blown up.

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
Just a note to freeloaders-
I DO NOT HAVE A BOAT.
I have recieved several emails after mentioning trying to make a trip by hitching and working, trans atlantic. .... I personally however, do not have a boat. I am travelling homeless, with little or no funding most of the time.
I'm sorry I cannot make your dreams come true.

Hilarious!:hysterical: I can't believe people are trying to tag along with you!

but if you are looking to sail somewhere, go to a harbour, and meet people with boats.

That's really the only way to do it. Think about it like hitching where the driver is going to be responsible for you day and night for the next 3 or 4 weeks and you can't even get out of the car to piss. Now think about being trapped with a seasick stranger.... Nobody I know would take crew without having met them or having a good recommendation. It's actually more like applying for a job.

Once again, good luck Cardboard!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads