Vehicle towed for sleeping in it?

Primitive

Reaction score
Has anyone had this experience in any town? Or been arrested? Up until now I've been using more stealthy vehicles. But I will be getting an RV tomorrow. I know I'm safe where I am with it, but paranoid about ending up in that wrong town where something like this might happen, since everywhere getting stricter now. Anyone experienced this or know of others who have?

Reactions: West
D

Deleted member 125

im pretty sure every walmart in the states has a policy of letting people park their campers and rv's in the parking lot over night. the idea being that people "camping" in them will in turn buy supplies and what not from said walmart, ide say just dont wear out yer welcome and you outta be just fine.

TMG51

Reaction score
1) Legally they can't tow you while you're inside the vehicle as that is tantamount to kidnapping. You don't need to worry about this due to any vehicle occupancy laws while you're inside. Only worry about getting towed while you're away if you've parked illegally (as you would with any other vehicle).

2) You cannot rely on Wal-Mart parking lots. Everyone thinks that's true but it simply isn't. Many Wal-Marts don't allow overnight parking, and others are in cities with ordinances against overnight parking (meaning police look to enforce the law there first, because everyone thinks Wal-Mart is the place to overnight park). In fact even where it is permissible I avoid parking at Wal-Mart simply because everyone defaults there and it can draw attention.

I've been living in my Class B RV (bigass van) full time on the road for over a year now. I never plan ahead, I just go somewhere and use common sense, and I've never been disturbed at night, towed, ticketed, or threatened with arrest. I do have to talk to police occasionally. Just be honest and they shouldn't hassle you. Although my van is not at all stealthy, it does meet any city parking requirements, so depending on the size of your RV that would be your only restriction beyond mine. Find street parking out of the way somewhere. If you go to a box store parking lot, make it any one other than Wal-Mart. Lowe's is a great choice. They never care about overnighters and there's always a strong wifi signal.

D

Deleted member 125

Most walmarts seem to be reversing that now. Also most i have seen now have signs that say "no overnight camper/RV parking"

hmm, good to know i guess maybe virginia is just a bit behind on that because the ones ive seen here dont have any signs and i see folks rv's and busses there quite often although its not at night so maybe they arnt sleeping there.

A

Adnil

I haven't since I don't exactly associate with those who rubber tramp, but an idea to avoid any hassle, try parking at a hotel/motel that isn't too empty. That way if the manager or an employee see your RV, they automatically assume you're already sleeping in a room.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
if you do some google searches into 'boondocking' you'll find a plethora of information about places that are and aren't friendly to people living in their vehicle. id say that even in an RV your chances of getting actually arrested are really really fucking slim. i see people that park their rv's in the same spot in cities all the time and they don't really get fucked with as long as they move their vehicles every few days.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Dont know where you plan on traveling in it, but here in washington its pretty easy. my uncle just got a little 22 footer and we jjust find a forest service road to drive up a little ways and camp in the woods. or in a pinch, park at a rest stop along the highway. have even just parked it in a pull out alongside the road a few times and havent been hasseled yet

Gardener Rick

Reaction score
Only once, the fellow had started drinking when he parked. Late that night the cops awoke him and told him he had too move. He informed them he was way too drunk too drive. They arrested him for public intoxication and towed the van.....

TMG51

Reaction score
Only once, the fellow had started drinking when he parked. Late that night the cops awoke him and told him he had too move. He informed them he was way too drunk too drive. They arrested him for public intoxication and towed the van.....

Yes, you should be confident you're somewhere you won't be disturbed if you plan to drink at "home." Also be aware of what state laws constitute a DUI.

Raven1998

Reaction score
I've lived In a school bus for the last three years and parked it up on the road and in cities for up to a few months. I've never been arrested or had my rig towed but I have had the cops wake me up a million times.... It's a school bus so it's in no way stealth, if I'm traveling it's usually not a problem. I'll stay at rest stops or park in the random town for the night. When I'm sticking around for a few weeks is when it starts getting tricky. If you park in the skids or the ghetto or even Main Street peeps usually don't care. It's usually just in the neighborhood that people will call the cops and the cops usually just tell you to move because legally you can be parked there.

Some places tow after three days, but need to give you a posted warning first, usually if th cops get called and I'm not there they will leave one of these. Some places just write a ticket after three days then tow depending on the place.

The only places I know where it's not quite like that are in Santa Cruz where there are a bunch of anti homless( I got a home!) laws that forbid sleeping outside or in a vehicle. That's the only place I've had a friend get a ticket for being in his van at night.

Santa Cruz and Venice both are so swamped by rv dwellers that there are a bunch of no parking between 2-5am signs and no parking if your vehicle is over 7ft signs all over. But even there plenty o peeps do it. Santa Monica banned city wide rv parking after 9pm or any commercial vehicle ever.

I have however had a bunch of psychos write shit on my Windows or come up to me and try to intimidate me to move all over even for just being parked for a few minutes. Those are just crazy jerks and there's no stopping them. Lucky for me my house moves.

• Useful
Reactions: Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Yes, you should be confident you're somewhere you won't be disturbed if you plan to drink at "home." Also be aware of what state laws constitute a DUI.

the way i understand it, everything behind the front seats falls under the same rules of search and seizure as a house, so you can legally drink in the back. i tested this theory a few time back in the day in savannah and it actually saved us from getting a few tickets. i did make the mistake of sleeping in a front seat in the rv with an empty beer can (that wasn't even mine) in the cup holder and got a ticket when the cops were harassing us that morning.

also, i could be remembering this wrong, but you should have curtains if you're going to do this, since technically if they see you drinking through the windows they can ticket or harass you about it.

Durp

Reaction score
Residential neighborhoods are not so much an option, if you don't plan on getting bothered. The "wrong side of the tracks," are the best places to park in an RV. Close to water, beer, whatever else ya need. People are decent and will let you fill up your water tanks if you offer to give them something. Industrial areas work too. BLM is the way to go if you can.

wavyhill

Reaction score
1) Legally they can't tow you while you're inside the vehicle as that is tantamount to kidnapping. You don't need to worry about this due to any vehicle occupancy laws while you're inside. Only worry about getting towed while you're away if you've parked illegally (as you would with any other vehicle).

2) You cannot rely on Wal-Mart parking lots. Everyone thinks that's true but it simply isn't. Many Wal-Marts don't allow overnight parking, and others are in cities with ordinances against overnight parking (meaning police look to enforce the law there first, because everyone thinks Wal-Mart is the place to overnight park). In fact even where it is permissible I avoid parking at Wal-Mart simply because everyone defaults there and it can draw attention.

I've been living in my Class B RV (bigass van) full time on the road for over a year now. I never plan ahead, I just go somewhere and use common sense, and I've never been disturbed at night, towed, ticketed, or threatened with arrest. I do have to talk to police occasionally. Just be honest and they shouldn't hassle you. Although my van is not at all stealthy, it does meet any city parking requirements, so depending on the size of your RV that would be your only restriction beyond mine. Find street parking out of the way somewhere. If you go to a box store parking lot, make it any one other than Wal-Mart. Lowe's is a great choice. They never care about overnighters and there's always a strong wifi signal.

Thanks for the tip about Lowe's.

• Useful
Reactions: Mankini
E

EchoTheDrifter

Has anyone had this experience in any town? Or been arrested? Up until now I've been using more stealthy vehicles. But I will be getting an RV tomorrow. I know I'm safe where I am with it, but paranoid about ending up in that wrong town where something like this might happen, since everywhere getting stricter now. Anyone experienced this or know of others who have?

I love sleeping in a vehicle. I am aware of no law that prohibits you from doing so. You should only get towed if your vehicle is parked somewhere it is not supposed to be. Rules vary by state, but my top 3 suggestions:

1. National Forests
2. Highway Rest Areas
3. Wal-Mart Parking Lots

I haven't personally tried Wal-Mart parking lots, but I've done the other two multiple times. Never had a negative experience.

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Walmart parking lots are usually an excellent resource for us vehicular-dwelling folk.

Good for sleeping, good for flying a sign if that's how you manifest your moola like I do. Good for spanging if that's your thing.

I have been kicked out of a small handful of Walmart lots, but that very seldom happens.

Also, walmarts do usually have a handful of homebums hanging around, but they haven't caused much trouble in my experience.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads