Vanlife to rock bottom | Squat the Planet

Vanlife to rock bottom

dissociatecrab

Reaction score
Hey everyone.
I’m Crab, or Terra (terrajayde from kik).
I started out vandwelling as a way to deal with C-PTSD but that’s being put to an end after breaking down (me AND the van) in Maryland.
I don’t want to be around family, I hate asking for help so now I’m here to find a way to survive even though I don’t want to.

dissociatecrab

Reaction score
Were you able to salvage any winter gear from the van when it broke down? Where in MD are you staying, or trying to stay?

I have bibs, and warm Carhartt gear.
I have two blankets that I stay under.

i’m still in my van. I’m looking for a place to stay. I’m stuck in Baltimore.

• Best of Luck!
Reactions: Juan Derlust

MetalBryan

Reaction score
How long do you think you'll be able to use the van? Is it safe to drive any kind of distance? There's a few BJ's Warehouses near Baltimore that you could bounce between to avoid being hassled while you sleep.

The van is better than sleeping rough. IDK about Baltimore but here in DC having a van would be a huge hassle if you're trying to get housed up. Though even in the fancy DC neighborhoods I occasionally see someone city-camping in their van. Check out the Baltimore Free Farm - go see a music show or volunteer for Food Not Bombs. You might be able to get connected with an upgrade to your situation just getting to know those good folks.

dissociatecrab

Reaction score
@MetalBryan
Thank you so much for the info! If I’m still around during the next event then I’ll try to get there!

Luckily it broke down at a Walmart where travelers parking is allowed. On the other end of Walmart, where truckers are. Even an abandoned RV, it seems. Surprisingly I haven’t gotten caught. Maybe the manager is okay with it. But I don’t like being a pest. I can’t get my van started. I’ll have to leave it here :(

ByronMc

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
@MetalBryan
Thank you so much for the info! If I’m still around during the next event then I’ll try to get there!

Luckily it broke down at a Walmart where travelers parking is allowed. On the other end of Walmart, where truckers are. Even an abandoned RV, it seems. Surprisingly I haven’t gotten caught. Maybe the manager is okay with it. But I don’t like being a pest. I can’t get my van started. I’ll have to leave it here :(
What kind of van & year is it? Has it been a good van or has it been breaking down a lot?

• Useful
Reactions: Juan Derlust

Dmac

Reaction score
What does it do when you try to start it? Nothing, a clicking sound? Do the dashboard lights turn on? I had the starter solenoid freeze up on my mini van, turn the key got lights but just nothing from the starter. Mechanic buddy tapped the side with a hammer while I turned the key and it started! I still had to replace it later just to be sure.

• Haha
Reactions: dissociatecrab

dissociatecrab

Reaction score
What does it do when you try to start it? Nothing, a clicking sound? Do the dashboard lights turn on? I had the starter solenoid freeze up on my mini van, turn the key got lights but just nothing from the starter. Mechanic buddy tapped the side with a hammer while I turned the key and it started! I still had to replace it later just to be sure.

I thought something in the van froze but it still hasn’t been starting. I feel that it would be something simple as that. I just don’t know what would actually start it or what is keeping it from starting.

its not the battery. Everything is is fine, it just won’t get into idle when I turn the key.

WyldLyfe

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Welcome.. Crab

tumblr_oy5et6teDv1rfb290o1_400.gif

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Call Brodie. It could be something incredibly simple. If it's turning over and just not completely starting that could be so many cheap things like clogged fuel filter, a simple carburetor tweak(if it's that old) it can be a number of things, possibly even as cheap as a fuse who knows. Call that number though, don't just walk away from it.

dissociatecrab

Reaction score
Call Brodie. It could be something incredibly simple. If it's turning over and just not completely starting that could be so many cheap things like clogged fuel filter, a simple carburetor tweak(if it's that old) it can be a number of things, possibly even as cheap as a fuse who knows. Call that number though, don't just walk away from it.

I messaged him.

Reactions: Matt Derrick

Shaggy Rogers

Reaction score
Not yet.

I have no where to go anyway.

You can always go south. Florida is warm year round until you can figure out where you want to really go. Save up some cash. And im no mechanic but if the key goes in and you get lights then it may be the starter fucking you over. Idk how cold it is MD but down here ATL its not that fukin cold.

D

Deleted member 27969

How much do you know about automobiles ?

I was in Baltimore(West too) and I'd parked my bike by an old tire shop that ran by what used to be a successful highway. I used a leg iron to tie me to the bike.

When I woke up the next morning, nothing. I tried using the electric leg and realized I'd been there 4 days, the charging system was weak on that '86 EVO, and over the 4 days in the snow, battery was dead. I finally remembered that I had used a pair of wire ties to put the kicker arm in my tool kit. I walked West Baltimore, scared shitless that bike wasn't going to be behind that shop, with a kicker arm in my hand looking for a place that cut up scrap metal so I could find something to get brazed or welded on as a pedal. I found out a scrap heap and a pile of bicycles isn't a hard thing to find in Baltimore. I trucked my ass back to shop, aligned the splines, used a little brass hammer to get the arm back on, tighted the hex key with a set of torx bits, and after it nearly tearing my acl, I got it kicked. Never so glad to see a city in my rear window.

Is there any chance you approach the service manager, tell him whatever about getting some money wired and want to check the battery with his ammeter ? Are you sure a jump wouldn't get you going and keep it going until you can get some green for a battery?

If you know for sure it isn't the battery, what kind of van is it ? It could be something silly and easy to fix depending on mfg and year even if you don't know what you're doing.

Keep your head up kid, the snows melt, and the sun will shine after the darkest night.

dissociatecrab

Reaction score
Even one time I wiggled the battery and it started working again.
This time it’s something else but I can’t afford to figure it out.

I have to abandon it along with my personal items I don’t want to part with...

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I mean, instead of abandoning it.. if you just absolutely can't be bothered to ask anyone to look at it.. maybe at least put it on Craigslist for sale? Mechanics special? Some places also have junkyards that'll buy cars for their weight in scrap metal. They'll bring a flatbed out, give you a few hundred bucks and haul it off. Idk, things to at least look into.

@Brodiesel710 What's your take? OP said they reached out to you? What do you make of it?

dissociatecrab

Reaction score
I mean, instead of abandoning it.. if you just absolutely can't be bothered to ask anyone to look at it.. maybe at least put it on Craigslist for sale? Mechanics special? Some places also have junkyards that'll buy cars for their weight in scrap metal. They'll bring a flatbed out, give you a few hundred bucks and haul it off. Idk, things to at least look into.

@Brodiesel710 What's your take? OP said they reached out to you? What do you make of it?

I have many reasons for the decision I’m making. Too much to explain. I usually have things handled when crap comes up but I’m at rock bottom, guys.

I’ll try a junk/scrap yard so they can tow

• Best of Luck!
Reactions: Jimmy Beans
D

Deleted member 27969

Don't know how to put quotes but you said:

"I’ll try a junk/scrap yard so they can tow."

It's yours, you have your mind and you can do so as you please. I don't know how much experience you have with getting ridding of vehicles, so I do not mean to be an ass. Consider this just something for someone to read later.

Call ahead and ask first what they pay per pound for scrap pickup. Call later and ask what they deduct from weight for pickup. Now, as you've got internet, you need to look up the weight of the van, and I don't mean the GVWR. You want the curb weight. Know your info so if they try to take advantage of you, tell them to drive. And if you've had a contentious negotiation, DO NOT ACCEPT A RIDE FROM THEM.

Had to get rid of an old Dodge D350(W)- 4x4 Dodge Van, knew curb weight and we'd agreed on price before pickup. I was polite and calm and they offered me a ride to the bus station. So the guy threatens me that I give back $80 bucks out of the $330(heavy van and scrap price was more then) or he dumps me and the van on the right of way and says I tried to rob him and that's how I got the money. Thing was I had I a B-O-S(bill of sale) and I had it hidden. So he does it, about 200yds from the entrance to the JY.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads