Vagabonding Mexico/Central Am. | Squat the Planet

Vagabonding Mexico/Central Am.

barefootinbabylon

Reaction score
www.hitchtheworld - that kid is my hero. :)

While in Mexico, I met a girl who had been traveling north for 2 years, selling beautiful jewelry that she made to get by. Do you play any instruments, can you make anything to sell, etc. etc? Also, there are TONS of ways to get free accomodations; check out things like WWOOF, helpx.net (they have quite a few volunteering opportunities down there); sometimes even (slightly) paid positions are available. There are lots of ways to make it work, you just gotta do your research and make yourself available. Of course, nothing beats actually BEING down there, b/c you can meet shitloads more people that way...

As far as my own personal experience - hitchhiking is easy as heellll down there, and the Mexicans are really very kind and open people (I believe it's in part due to the fact that they have more first-hand experience with true poverty than we do in the States; as such, they are infinitely more giving). Didn't really hitch much in C.A., as I was only in Guat for a week or so... Food is incredibly cheap down there. I was spending around $100/week, and that was WITH hostels, restaurantes, tourist attractions, buses, etc. - wasn't really trying to save money that much... It can be done infinitely cheaper than that, though!

Pending on whether I get this shitty-ass job that I'm interviewing for tomorrow (and manage to not go crazy with the mundanity, and keep it for 6 months or so), I'm **tentatively** planning on flying down to Lima, Peru next fall (you can get flights for $250 from Ft. Lauderdale through Spirit Airlines), then doing stints of volunteer work through helpx from there north until whenever... Of course, this is all subject to massive change, but I'm definitely gonna be lookin' for partner.

Aren't you on some sort of probation or something? That shit sucks ballllzzzz...

Reactions: Everymanalion

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
world rainbow gathering is in chiapas, palenque mexico. i´m sure you could find a ride with a caravan heading down there. im in costa rica now, and havent really been tryin to make money down here yet. slow season is coming so less tourists now. ive got a guitar, and havent really tried busking yet cause im waiting to learn some songs in spanish first. but.....all the locals ive played music for love hearing songs in english, mostly they keep me drunk on the local sugar cane liquor if i keep playing them bob marley songs...lol. headin north thru nicaragua-honduras within the next couple months after my visa here expires

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
but yea...i love it down here. you can drink beer-liquor on the streets....even on the busses here, no one gives a fuck. busses are cheap as hell. i can get a bus ride across the country for around 10 bucks. all the beaches are public so ya can camp for free on em. plenty of coconuts to live off....coconut water is theeee best!!! ganja is pretty cheap, not as good as in the states but still gets ya high. like an ounce of brick for like 20-40 bucks. theres even a guy down here in the town im at now, who sells pot/mushroom brownies out in the open at the farmers market. iguanas, sloths, and monkeys everywhere!! and other animals-bugs i never even knew existed. and best of all, the people are friendly. everyone smiles and talks to you here......the tourists-foreigners from the states are the most stuck up ones...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads