Travelling heavy | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Travelling heavy

best guess

Reaction score
I appreciate the advice on that one. I've heard New Orleans can be a tough place. Idk maybe I should go for Dallas/Ft. Worth what with the hurricanes & all, surely there's still a ton of work down there. Honestly I'll probably just keep going south & hopping off in towns & cities till I find one I like. STL ain't bad, but it still gets cold here & I'd like to not freeze. It's only the beginning of November, it'll surely get even colder than this.

Hazardoussix6six

RideBikesPlayPolo
Reaction score
hell yea it will, Austin's cool for wintering. done that a few times. yea I'm headed back up to Cincy similar weather to st Louis, an it will get cold as hell.

had a good time last year in Bradenton, Florida. heard el Paso is good also.

Reactions: best guess

best guess

Reaction score
Yeah I been wanting to check out Austin. Been there when I was driving OTR, but driving to a warehouse to get loaded or unloaded isn't the same as getting to spend time in a city, specially one like Austin. Thatnks again for the advice

fabio

Reaction score
Man, you are like those people with accumulator compulsion. Imagine hitchhiking with all that? I'm very tall, 2,08m (6"8') and sometimes, when takes too much time to someone stop for me I think it could be because the drivers think I'll not fit. But in your case, how do you do?

best guess

Reaction score
I just rode a grainer from St. Louis to Springfield last night. My tent stowed nicely against one of the sidewalls of the porch, concealed well from sight, 2 of my backpacks and sleeping bag all strapped together rode in between the V walls, and I rode in the doghouse with my smallest pack. Not super comfortable, but riding a grainer isn't comfortable even if you're packed light imo.
And even though I'd rather not if possible, I caught on the fly with all that crap last night.

Rich

Reaction score
Wow bro, you really been collecting. You know as well as i do you can thin that out. I mean 15 pairs of socks? I get it man. My old campsite by Baltimore was still there and I picked up a few new things but I got rid of a bunch also. You should get a damn hammock and a tarp and ditch the tent. Bulk can be just as bad as weight. FYI that little camp stood through spring, summer, and fall without anyone in it. Hell my clippers were dry and still work. And yes, those are jugs of Dandelion wine that...sigh...we're wasted.

Attachments

• 20171030_162918.jpg
    20171030_162918.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 305
Reactions: best guess

Art101

Reaction score
I tend toward the minimum need.A pair of clean pants 3-4 pairs clean socks and long underwear,a patrol poncho,a bivy a good cold rated bag,and some odds and ends stuff.Always try to stay under 30 ponds.Course I have a few health issues.Good on ya man if it works for ya then don't change nothing.

best guess

Reaction score
Update: I downsized significantly. Ditched the 8 man tent for a 4 man & got ridda some of my excess gear, and now my loadout is as pictured below, except that I recently acquired an acoustic guitar, but the upside to such a bulky, delicate item is that busking has increased my income ridiculously.
Screenshot_2018-01-14-20-07-03.png

D

Deleted member 125

even with that downsize man what could you possibly still be hauling around that requires 2 backpacks for? even a 4 person tent is ridiculous to me unless you plan on having orgies in it, if so then i guess yer prepared. ide be a bit concerned about being mistaken for a circus tent if i set up a 4 person tent somewhere.

best guess

Reaction score
A 4 man tent isn't really that big. It's rated for 4 but the most you could sleep comfortably in it would be 2. Honestly I still ought to downsize some more, but this is a big improvement over hauling an 8 man tent. I'm just big on being prepared for anything. For the hassle of carrying a ton of crap, it has paid off many many times.

Hobo Mud

Reaction score
I have to ask, do you eat spinach? Lol! Wow! Even at my prime I was not able to carry that much weight. Once carried around 65 pounds but that was all I was able to manage.

That is a lot of weight to carry around. I am older and due to back and leg injuries, I can only carry around roughly 50 pounds in the winter and in the fall, spring and summer months my bag is normally under 25 pounds.

This was certainly a great post and appreactied viewing and reading about your epic journey. Safe travels friend and keep on keeping on.....

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads