Travelling heavy

best guess

Reaction score
20171022_140742.jpg
I pack a tent that honestly could probably sleep 7 or 8 people comfortably, 2 backpacks full of clothes, hygiene, gear, etc. misc., a sleeping bag, and either a gallon jug of water or several 20 oz. water bottles. When carrying it all, I have one backpack on my back, one on the front of me, my sleeping bag strapped/tied to my back backpack, and my tent in its stow bag on my shoulders. All in all, it's probably around 100 pounds, but I only ever have to carry it from where I bail off a train to wherever I set up camp. Last week that was about 6 1/2 miles. It's a lot to carry, but I find it to be worth it for the luxury and privacy. Anybody travel heavier than this?

Last edited:

Hazardoussix6six

RideBikesPlayPolo
Reaction score
View attachment 39422 I pack a tent that honestly could probably sleep 7 or 8 people comfortably, 2 backpacks full of clothes, hygiene, gear, etc. misc., a sleeping bag, and either a gallon jug of water or several 20 oz. water bottles. When carrying it all, I have one backpack on my back, one on the front of me, my sleeping bag strapped/tied to my back backpack, and my tent in its stow bag on my shoulders. All in all, it's probably around 100 pounds, but I only ever have to carry it from where I bail off a train to wherever I set up camp. Last week that was about 6 1/2 miles. It's a lot to carry, but I find it to be worth it for the luxury and privacy. Anybody travel heavier than this?
holy smokes! I pack way opposite, maybe 35 -40 lbs at most. that's with winter gear setup as well. summer much less! the luxury factor has got to be immense though

Reactions: Art101

best guess

Reaction score
I can't help myself lol. I enjoy the luxury of carrying a hundred pounds of crap around with me from town to town too much . I shouldn't admit this, but I got another backpack today. I currently have like 6 pairs of shoes. I really do gotta pare this shit down before I catch out again later this week, this shit's getting ridiculous.

• Haha
Reactions: meatcomputer

best guess

Reaction score
My back is strong. I shall persevere. Or pare it down to something resembling reasonable. Probly just continue lugging ten tons of crap. I'm a bit stubborn and maybe a glutton for punishment.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
there seriously becomes a point where you crossover from hobo to homebum when you have that much gear; you should probably get a shopping cart. not trying to be mean, just saying, you could easily pair it down or if 6 pairs of shoes are that important to you, you might wanna consider settling down before you kill yourself from exhaustion.

• Haha
Reactions: Art101
P

Popsicle

Not being judgemental but is this a joke ? I love st Paul with a buzz I mean stp lol . This is to the point above that I carry 60litre 25 lbs dog food or less two beers a dog that weighs 60 lbs when I'm drunk to pull me and pack up hills . Wait and no water for the dog but takka vodka drips for her . Oh and the souls of the road that keep me alive .

BUT I ALSO KNOW EVERYONE STARTS SOMEWHERE ......SO ROCK ON BRO

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
My back is strong

Mmmhmm, used to say that a lot in my twenties and early thirties. I still do at 42, it's stong AF but holy shit sometimes it hurts like hell periodically now too. I believe it hurts more when you put it under less stress, like times you house up for a while. Not gonna try to convince you to change. You mentioned being a bit stubborn, I get that for sure. All I'd say at this point is maybe don't ever plan on stopping, once you let it rest you'll likely start feeling the damage done. Also, fuck 6 pairs of shoes dude, that's so overkill. You might as well start carrying around a couple spare knuckles in case the train you're on breaks in two, you know.. just to be prepared.

D

Deleted member 2626

Wow damn. I thought dog food and my two man tent was big shit on my back, as in too much extra. I carry a tablet as well with small keyboard sometimes my solar charger, had my .357 and extra shells at one point and still wasn't more than probably 50 or so. But enough.

best guess

Reaction score
I never thought of carrying spare train parts, don't give me any crazy ideas, I clearly have enough of those already. I only have all the pairs of shoes because they came my way while I was here in St. Louis for the past few days. Like I said, I'm def gonna pare it down quite a bit. Some lucky homebum is gonna get blessed Wednesday or Thursday before I take off. But trust and believe I'll still have ten tons of crap on my back. But travelling heavy isn't really all that bad, it's not like I ever have to hurry to maintain a breakneck pace or meet some kinda deadlines or something, and I typically stay in a town for a few days up to a week, and when I do, I really like having all the stuff I would otherwise wish I had. I might even homebum it someplace over the winter once I get far enough south, and if I do, all this extra crap could come in very handy. If not, I can always get rid of stuff.

Hazardoussix6six

RideBikesPlayPolo
Reaction score
I never thought of carrying spare train parts, don't give me any crazy ideas, I clearly have enough of those already. I only have all the pairs of shoes because they came my way while I was here in St. Louis for the past few days. Like I said, I'm def gonna pare it down quite a bit. Some lucky homebum is gonna get blessed Wednesday or Thursday before I take off. But trust and believe I'll still have ten tons of crap on my back. But travelling heavy isn't really all that bad, it's not like I ever have to hurry to maintain a breakneck pace or meet some kinda deadlines or something, and I typically stay in a town for a few days up to a week, and when I do, I really like having all the stuff I would otherwise wish I had. I might even homebum it someplace over the winter once I get far enough south, and if I do, all this extra crap could come in very handy. If not, I can always get rid of stuff.
fair enough, we all travel in our own way, I don't like being in a town more than a few days. but that's me. be a great road dawg prolly lol. setup a damn house off the tracks lol

best guess

Reaction score
Okay so here's the ridiculous loadout. In the plastic grocery bags is jeans & shirts, next to that I have about 15 pairs of socks, 7 pairs of underwear, hats, gloves, blanket, shoes, water, etc.
Plus the sleeping bag that it's all laid out on, plus the tent that it's all inside of. Believe it or not, it's all packed into these three backpacks, one of which is damn near filled with hygiene. Two of the backpacks and the sleeping bag go on my back, one on the front of me, and the tent kinda rests across my shoulders and the 2 backpacks on my back. Everything else is getting gifted to someone before I catch out.
20171031_133236_HDR.jpg
20171031_133255_HDR.jpg
20171031_133236_HDR.jpg
20171031_133255_HDR.jpg
20171031_133236_HDR.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: Nailz

best guess

Reaction score
I employ a very sneaky technique I learned as a kid. I don't look at the workers or the bulls. If I can't see them, they can't see me.

Nah but I mostly ride at night, and whenever possible, I wait and catch at probably less trafficked spots than others might. All my gear is black, so really I'm pretty tough to see if you don't already know I'm there. I can get on or off a train nearly as fast with all my stuff as without it, and once I'm on, I have all the time in the world to stow packs under the cheese grater or in the well next to me or whatever I'm doing. I really wouldn't be packing so heavy but I think I'm probably gonna chill in just like one or two more places this winter once I get south of the cold. I've been to nearly every major city in the contiguous 48, but never been to NOLA so I may very well winter there.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads