Traveling with LOANS? HELP!

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Huh, I guess it kinda pays to have parents who don't make so much money, since they know how to save it. My parents refuse to take any of my money, and if I pay for a taxi for them, they will repay me at the first opportunity they get and they won't take no for an answer. I'm thinking it's a matter of pride for them...

Kryl88

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for all the replies to this thread.. It's kinda helped me out since I'm a college student stuck between wanting a life of adventure and exploration and currently being stuck with a life of boring-ass shit. Not quite a fan of our current system of living.

In any case, I was thinking that if I register and decide to take classes next semester, and don't withdraw this one, I may well just travel during the summers between classes and work during the semesters so that I have some money coming in for the 2-3 month trips I'd be taking. I'm still strongly considering just going off the grid, essentially...

snor

Reaction score
I've been traveling for over a year and a half now and was supposed to start paying back my student loans over a year ago. Thats right, i went to a corporate ass college. ive been homeless since i was 17 1/2 and made the poor decission to go to college for nothing i cared about, cause i felt pressured. With Sallie Mae i can defer up to 18 months with tons of interest accrueing in the meantime... but for me, it's worth it to live out another 6 months at a time and dealing with the debt later. I wish i had never done it, but it's too late, something to fall back on....whatever. i have over $70,000 to pay back, but fuck it. i'll get around to it at some point. you really can't get in that much of legal trouble (poor credit, maybe). do the shit you wanna do in the time being, it won't ruin your life. Maybe by the time comes to pay the shit capitalism will fall... Live it up!

Kryl88

Reaction score
With any kind of luck, and the slew of things allegedly going to happen in 2012, capitalist ideals may well fall short of being kept around. Not saying it will happen, but maybe people will realize that it's kind of a fucking waste to not spend your life doing what you want to do, instead of working oneself to the bone and paying out the ass for a whole bunch of big, useless crap.

That's one of the reasons I've been wanting to hit the road and disappear.. With any luck, I'll take next Summer to go around traveling and have such a good time that I just disappear and don't give a shit to return to the grind. I just don't think people were designed to live the way that we are forced to.

Peace

~Kryl

D

dirtbag

Widerstand said:
Whatever happed to the good old reliably plan of when things get shitty just pack up and walk away? If you don't have an address, real job, or a traceable cellphone in todays world you may as well not even fucking exist.

Exactly. If you're gonna sit around planning and worrying about something like this. Just fucking go get a job.

Spinelli

Reaction score
Crediters still sweat my mom on her student loans, from like the 80's I think, something to do with Reaganomics and she got fucked over, so I wouldn't fuck with them if you want a straight life. Her unpaid loans are likely to be pushed on my father so run out and get married kids!!

Skies

Reaction score
What the flying houseless FUCK? I had NO idea people were even posting on this damn thread. Ok well here's the answer to my fucked up lil situation: I ain't paying SHIT! I'm leaving soon and I really don't care. I just needed some details on the situation and now that I got them, fine it'll be fine 7 years and the shit's cleared supposedly. I'm too goddamn free spirited to get a job. I'm never really happy when I work. I tried explaining that to my family too, but of course, what does everyone (who's not a traveler) suggest? So yeah FUCK LOANS just fuck them FUCK THEM UP THE ASS. Ok yeah BUT...

My mother co-signed the bigger loan cause I got two loans, and I feel horrible that the loan is gonna roll over to her if I don't pay it. Thing is she just got laid off, she's on unemployment and disability and has a MILLION medical problems. In some while -however long - when they tell her she needs to pay, maybe she won't have to cause of her fucked up medical/unemployment situation? A friend told me that if I need to I can get a ACLU or NLG lawyer to evade the loan, so I told my mom maybe she should do that. But she's pissed like PISSED that I'm leaving and not doing shit about the loan. My deal is, I'm not gonna work years and years to pay off a loan. I've put traveling on hold for several motherfucking years, the economy can fuck off. I just don't like hurting my mother over this stupid loan shit. I would work and pay it off myself but cmon putting off traveling for years and the urge is fucking oozing outta my lil veins? Jesus Christ and his brother Bob headed to London on a viking ship, I wanna hit the roaaddd. So I don't know, I feel horrible about the situation with my mother but I offered criminally making money and sending it to her and she said no. So uh if anyone has suggestions on what to do with this new situation, please tell me. Either way, I'm leaving soon I ain't paying for loans from a hypocritical education system that never taught me real shit anyway.

Adonis

Reaction score
I defaulted on a 10k car loan which my dad was co signer on. After about 3 months of not paying, One morning I woke up and the car was gone... (I had to go track it down to get my plates and things from it too!) Anyways this was almost 4 years ago now and they have never come after me or Him for it..

I also have two defaulted (and maxed out) credit cards. and have had various other "minor" credits I have been given on things like laptops, cameras etc...

Like Matt said unless someone can prove you intended to default from the start, there is very little that can happen from a legal standpoint.

They can only affect your credit and Here in Canada the stature of limitations is 7 years. However not everything is so simple as it does take some sacrifices. For example lets say a debt collector call you and you answer the phone "hello" and the collector asks for you by name and you say "speaking" right then and there your stature of limitations just started all over again!

The best and hardest way to pull this stuff off is make your self invisible so to speak of every system. which means banks, government, registered clubs, library etc..

Currently how I do it is to make "them" chase me all over the Country. I have various mail address, phone numbers(I screen every call anyhow and my cell is prepaid under a alias), emails etc... and the less you tell others your current situation(s)/location(s) the better.

I can't truly offer any advice/tips on dealing with the loan where your mother is involved as that is something only you can decide how to act on. They may or may not come after her...

But something I do suggest you do is utilize this wonderful thing called Internet to research credit, credit scores, and US federal law surrounding such. As the more you educate yourself the more you can make sound decisions that's right for you.

and as a matter of interest have a look this web site http://www.natural-person.ca

and also I recommend reading about George Gorden http://www.georgegordon.org

Whatever you do, good luck! ;)

bikegeek666

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I gotta laugh a little at a university graduate being homeless. 'course, I imagine it's by choice, but it sure is funny.

I had student loans. I just never paid them. I haven't been thrown in jail after several years of not paying them, so I think you're pretty safe on that front. I once had a debt collector get ahold of me at my mom's house, and when I told him I was homeless, that stumped him. Kind of hard to threaten you when you don't have anything they can take away.

I don't think the people you're paying care about your address as long as you're still paying the loan. If you don't pay off their loan, and have no address, there's nothing they can do about it, although that's probably not the route you want to go, since I imagine you want to have a normal life at some point soon after doing some traveling.

pretty much what i've done, just blown them off...i also only went for a semester, so they're not big. and i've never really wanted that "normal life" and home ownership and shit, so i'm not worrying about my credit or anything.

so depending on your future plans for yourself, my advice might just suck.

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
I've been putting mine in "financial hardship" deferment for a couple of years now. To do this though you do have to have some form of legitimate income(however small) to prove your income. I usually work at least a small part of a year which let's me file my taxes and then send my tax return to SallieMae as my proof of income(an added benefit to this is that I can claim the Earned Income Credit on my taxes and get a nice little chunk of money in February). They will only let you do this for a maximum of five years but then I can start using up my alloted five years of putting the things in "voluntary forebearence". Most loans also offer various income dependent payment plans that let you pay very little if you earn very little. By the time those things finally come out of some sort of deferement hopefully the country will have come to it's senses and decide to finally stop trying to make people corporate slaves if they want an education and if not fuck it as long as they don't bring back debtors prisons.

I

IBRRHOBO

Hmnn, I smell the stench of fear driven by capitalism here?! My two cents ... and if u see me spanging I want them back ... are this: credit, today, doesn't mean a hel of a lot. We see this as the banks shouted loud that they had no money to lend, which in turn frooze the markets, in response to which we gave them money and basically still no money is being moved in the credit market. If ur on this site u've already contemplated the unorthodox tactics, methods and lifestyles most of us employ. So, really u don't give a rat's ass about fucking the Dpt of Ed; I venture that for whatever reasons the hardship on ur mom isn't that much of a concern as she will simply file bankruptcy and save her house, car, etc. The TRUE reason, I would guess, is that ur searching for some kind of affirmation that that which u have already contemplated is acceptable in some fashion. Morals shift generationally. No smoke and mirrors necessary here in the parlor. Get drunk, catch out, have a meaningless overnight relationship, squat a bit and GET THE FUCK OVER IT! [footnote: I am not being mean here; I don't know u and could care less, but I don't want everyone who posts to be summed up like me ... I'm just blunt and real] Good Hunting!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads