traveling with a bird?

wildwerden

Reaction score
i don't see my deafness as a handicap. the only 'problem' with me is that i can't hear and i'm still able to function and behave normally, whatever normal is. handicap is kind of an offensive word since the dictionary considers it to be a disadvantage (when really its nice to sleep like a fucking rock) and yeah.
besides: how does me hearing or not hearing anything have anything to do with a pet bird on the road or a car running off water? i'm just brainstorming and how will my deafness affect my thoughts? besides not applying sound to thoughts.
i've been doing a lot of research and putting water in the gas tank is going to severely hurt yr vehicle, for obvious reasons.

wildwerden

Reaction score
my rowing coach didn't know that i was deaf until my mother told him three weeks into the season and he was pretty suprised..... for those of you who doubt my normal-ness :rolleyes:

ByronMc

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I say,understand where she is,then you will treat her with understanding,as for what she feels about me coming to help others understand her,feel she will not mind.

ByronMc

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
being deaf, is a handicap,does not make a person smart or stupid,but,what it does do is limit things. Now,if we are out there on a street corner,shooting the shit,you will not understand every thing said,unless we are all aware,and take the time to make sure you have gotten what has been said. If we don't care,you will feel outta place,not cared for. With that said,most people don't care,take the time to consider, I know only too well,I've been guilty of that,now,I try more then before.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Handicap comes from hand-in-cap, as in beggars on the street, in case you don't know why that term is fucked up. A disadvantage in some situations sure, but so is being old like me. Now to the car part.

Remember the Hindenburg? A balloon filled with hydrogen gas, or HH. No Nazi references intended. Browns gas aka hydrolyzed water is hydrogen gas mixed with oxygen (OO) which makes it extremely dangerous, since it doesn't need any air to explode. Only heat or a spark, so if the reaction from the engine reaches the tank with the gas, it will blow up. Depending on how much of the gas you have on hand, you might destroy the car and everything in it.

That said, you can experiment with it with household current and two identical cone shaped mesh strainers with two containers, search on makezine.com under hydrolysis. Edit-not on makezine-on instructables: http://www.instructables.com/id/Collecting-Hydrogen-and-Oxygen/?ALLSTEPS

skitter

Reaction score
I travelled with a quail for a few months.
Farm-raised from a poultry market. Aside from the whole, you have a fucking quail you wingnut, treatment, the bird was actually pretty cute. I fed it dove-pigeon-quail blend seed and caught it grubs and let it peck ants and stuff. Carried it everywhere, even on twenty-two mile hikes, in a bok choi box with a hydraulic strap through it, changing the lining daily with fresh free newspapers. When we stopped somewhere it'd dust bathe and sometimes take a little bath in the dog's waterbowl (the dog adored it) and drank water from a stupid little hamster dish.
During hitchhiking, if I couldn't tuck the box in the back of somewhere, the box was collapseable, and I had lots of big paper bags with holes poked in them to take the quail in the car with me. Otherwise, it'd sit wrapped in my hoodie and walked around dumb and placid and never really ran/flew away (too dumb to know anybetter I guess)

One day I ran to get some spam and tortilla from the store while the quail was dustbathing in an empty flower bed. I told husband, hey, watch the quail while I run okay? The dog was chilling, he was sewing, on the phone, etc.
When I came back, he's up looking around telling me the quail has walked away, and right at that moment I see a freakin' hawk swoop out of the sky and snatch up a little quail-sized... quail, and the last I ever saw of my quail were his little chicken-feet poking out of a hawk's talons.

My quail went back to Eywa.
wow that was a long story.

ByronMc

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Bet that hurt ya, along with the quail ! You made remarks, that have made me think, if you were to do it again, you would not put the quail though it again ! Am I seeing this correctly ?

wildwerden

Reaction score
see? it's possible. sorry about yr little quail guy though.

and hydrogen is flammable, as is gasoline. in fact, in my research, i keep reading that hydrogen is less flammable than gasoline. not sure if this is true though.

Many of the public’s perceived notions of hydrogen being
a dangerous fuel stem from the famous explosion of the
Hindenburg. NASA determined that the explosion of the
Hindenburg zeppelin was due to the ignition of the highly
flammable iron oxide and aluminum skin that coated
the dirigible, and was not due to the hydrogen. In fact,
none of the 35 fatalities were related to the hydrogen fuel
(33 died from jumping from the airship, 2 from burns
related to the flammable fabric and diesel fuel ii )."

http://www.hydrogenhighway.ca.gov/facts/einsafety.pdf

Shakou

Reaction score
If you're serious, I totally wouldn't recommend it. I tossed the idea around a LOT when I first got into traveling when I had my Green Cheek Conure, who I was very bonded with. After torturing myself over the decision, I ended up rehoming him with a bird savvy friend of mine, because ultimately it would have been very selfish and unfair. Birds are one of those animals that REALLY needs stability. They are extremely sensitive and don't handle change of any kind well at all. Not a good traveling pet.

Reactions: wildwerden

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads