Travel time on a loaded bicycle

Berightback

Reaction score
Hey y'all, I have a very decent Mongoose MTN bike and one of those pull-behind, bolt -on kiddie carriage rickshaw things ,which I'm gonna load with my guitar, a bag of clothes, and as little various sentimental detritus as I can get by with. Anyone have a solid estimation of how long it'd take to cross states in this manner. Thx!

• Best of Luck!
Reactions: MetalBryan

Joey Garbanzo

Muscle of the DiPinto Crime Family
Reaction score
It will take exactly 537.68hrs of riding, guaranteed or your money back! BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE! Call in the next five minutes to learn how our operators can offer you our special Hobo Deluxe Package where we mail you prewritten spanging signs! Operators are standing by!

MetalBryan

Reaction score
The recommended stamina for bicycle touring on a self-sufficient trip is 50-60 miles per day done 5-6 days a week. The more you fall short of this goal, the closer you should stay to civilization so you don't run out of food/water on an extended rest or in an emergency.

Be sure to service every single bearing in your Mongoose before you go. I work on these bikes regularly and while they are great for getting a few miles around town they will not hold up under touring conditions unless properly and regularly maintained.

Mrcharwe

Reaction score
Agree with metalbryan, 50-60 miles per day is a good pace for long distance travel. Depending on your fitness level you might start at 35 miles per day and build up. I normally took 1 day off per week unless there was bad weather and might take another day to let it pass.

For pacing, I always averaged about 10-12mph moving speed. When you factor in breaks, lunch, filtering water, hunting for a campsite, I would figure on a 7mph pace throughout the day. So if I had to go 50 miles, I expect it would take 7 hours from leaving camp in the morning until arriving I'm camp in the afternoon, that would include all stops. So at that pace if I had to do a long day because of lack of water or places to camp, i would expect it would take 10 hours to cover 70 miles.

I would also look to make sure the bike is serviced and you know how to replace all the parts. Mongooses come with cheaper components, so expect to replace a pedal, bottom bracke, or even spokes in the first 1500 miles or so. Luckily bike parts are cheap and if you hit up co-ops you can use their tools and get parts for really cheap.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads