Train Riding in Asia | Squat the Planet

Train Riding in Asia

Brian Fleas

Reaction score
Hey all,
My friend and I have a huge, round-the-world-without-flying trip starting in May (emphasis on trains!). Was wondering if anyone had any info on hopping trains in Asia? I've ridden in Indonesia, but would love some info on riding in Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, China, Mongolia, and Russia. I have contacts for China (and possibly a Chinese road dog), and have heard second-hand stories of people riding in Thailand. Would love any info/personal accounts anyone could offer.
Also! I'm headed to New Zealand in February and would love any info on riding there. I have a bit of secondhand information but have only briefly spoken with those who have actually ridden there.

By the way,
Just rode across the Nullarbor Plain in the Central Desert of Australia for the second time a few days ago! Saw about a dozen kangaroos, and emu, and a wedge tail eagle feasting on something next to the tracks. Great ride, let me know if you would like any photos/video of the ride.

Thanks all!
B

• Sad
Reactions: Odin and Kal

Kal

Reaction score
Awesome!!!! If you have a camera take some pics and post them on STP.

CelticWanderer

Reaction score
photos yes please D:
and hopping trains in Russia sounds terrifying. Hell, hopping rails in Asia sounds sketchy as fuck too.
annnd, how you ganna get across oceans? Get on a boat or you ganna like, sail/row across that shit.

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
I'm going to be in Southeast Asia myself in a couple weeks. Just did a bit of research and found this page on Hitchwiki:
Asia is a paradise and a native part of the world for millions of train hoppers. The practice of travelling on the outside of trains in South and South-East Asia is very common phenomenon due to a high population density and overcrowding of trains. In India, Indonesia and Bagladesh it's much more common than in any other part of the world: thousands of people can ride outside a single train. A lot of people in these countries travels by hopping on passenger trains every day. Freight hopping is also practiced, but in a lesser degree. Most railways lines in Asia has no electrification, however, average speeds of trains on these lines are much slower. In the recent years, railroad companies of these countries started campaigns against riding on the outside of trains. The police and railway guards can be found at big train stations, sometimes they may organise raids against train hoppers, however usually nobody cares about people on the outside of trains.

Reactions: Kal
K

kokomojoe

I'm always curious as to train riding outside North America. I love seeing the different rideable shit other countries have along with the scenery. Pictures would be much appreciated, wish you the best in your travels

D

Deleted member 125

Wizehop made a video about this a while back. I'm sure it's on YouTube try searching wizehop freight train and his account should come up. If I remember he wasn't to successful with trains but the documentary is really a great watch.

SnakeOilWilly

Reaction score
Wizehop made a video about this a while back. I'm sure it's on YouTube try searching wizehop freight train and his account should come up. If I remember he wasn't to successful with trains but the documentary is really a great watch.

This was in Asia? Haven't seen that one yet.

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
My only Asia experience was visiting a relative in South Korea who was working for their government at the time. I didn't get the chance to do any riding there, but saw many migrant workers lurking around the rail yards of Busan and Seoul. Talked to a few ex-pats over there who claimed to do it for a thrill every now and then there and they claimed it was quite easy and getting caught mostly just resulted in hard to understand lectures from baffled police and rail workers.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
@MolotovMocktail thats a great page on hitchwiki. "Saved"
@SnakeOilWilly I believe I watched most of wiszhop's vids some time ago. Gonna have to check out his channel again. I think one of his trainvids was also in SouthAmerica.

Also at the OP. That is an ambitious adventure you have planned. Good Travels.

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads