Tips for bad knees (1 Viewer)

EphemeralStick

Quality Control Queer Commando
Staff member
Current Location
Santa Cruz ish
So i'm pretty hard on my knees because my work; a whole lot of bending, lifting, and crawling around. It hasn't been a problem until the last few days when they've started to really ache, even when i'm sitting or laying down.

I was wondering if any one else has knee pain and if there's anything I can do to alleviate some of the pain? I've been taking Aleve and Ibuprofen as well as smoking weed but it just covers up the pain, I want to be rid of it.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

AAAutin

Wanderer
Current Location
NFA
I had a pretty bad knee flare-up a decade ago—to the point of a visible limp—but I only did the most basic shit to remedy it: ice, aspirin, and keeping my leg elevated during downtime.

But if you're constantly abusing your knees for work, I'm not sure there's much you can do (besides quit). Maybe look into compression braces...?

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
im not doctor, but yeah, maybe braces? or knee pads? i'm sure you wouldn't be the first agricultural worker to use them. is it the knee bone or the muscles around the knee? if it's the latter, you could try doing squat exercises, that's helped me quite a bit.

OP
EphemeralStick

EphemeralStick

Staff member
Current Location
Santa Cruz ish
It's not bones or the muscle but the joint, bending is painful so squat exercises might be counter productive.

BelleBottoms

Current Location
Chino Valley, Arizona, USA
So just from basic research and talking with friends who've had knee replacements...

One of the big contributors to degeneration around joints is deterioration of cartilage. I don't know what can be done to retard this degeneration; and the gist of what I've heard is degeneration (esp around load bearing joints) is inevitable and slow to repair. The cartilage (among it's many functions) prevents bone from rubbing bone and associated pain.

Cartilage is largely composed of collagen. The body requires vitamin C to synthesize collagen. So make sure you are eating lots of fresh produce to maintain your vitamin C intake. Consider taking vit C suppliments.

Fresh produce will also supply magnesium. One of magnesium's roles is to help move calcium into the bones so it does not settle in soft tissue (like cartilage) where is causes pain. It is often found to be deficient in people with arthritis, in case that may be begining to develop.

I hope this info provides a starting point for your research. Good luck.

OP
EphemeralStick

EphemeralStick

Staff member
Current Location
Santa Cruz ish
@BelleBottoms ya it's definitely a cartilage issue.

I'm trying out this once a day supplement called Glucosamine Chondroitin which helps joint problems. I'll post if it works or not once it starts to be noticeably affective... or not lol

Juan Derlust

the map isn't the territory
StP Supporter
Top Poster of the Month
Current Location
elsewhere
Did your knee pain come on suddenly or develop gradually? Any outward symptoms - swelling, pressure sensitiviy - or do you experience pain in your normal range of motion? Knees are complex. You appear younger than 30. I know the exact moment I injured mine - and had a devil of a time finding relief; if you're hustling to keep employed, it's difficult to maintain common sense body-mechanics protocols. I work with guys who are always pounding shit into place with the heel of their fists - that's a common one. I've never found satisfactory kneepads except maybe hockey goalie or baseball catcher-type kneepads. Last Thursday, I managed to whack my knee with a 12k rpm exploding grinder wheel cutting a sewer under a house (SAFETY, people!). Anyway, it takes a major shift in consciousness to prioritize your own well-being in employment situations.
img_0790-jpg.44418_Tips for bad knees_Staying Healthy_Squat the Planet_8:48 PM

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
EphemeralStick

EphemeralStick

Staff member
Current Location
Santa Cruz ish
@palmazon its been gradual this time, getting worse as the weeks go by and acting up real bad on the more active days.

The first time I fucked them up was a few years ago when I attempted to bike tour and ended up pushing myself way too hard. I had to stay in bed for a few days and had issues walking for a lil bit but it eventually got better. When that one happened it was definitely sudden.

So it's probably a mix of the two.

OP
EphemeralStick

EphemeralStick

Staff member
Current Location
Santa Cruz ish
Also DAAAAAAAMN that looks like it hurt like hell. My pain is all internal; stepping, bending, crouching all give me a stinging pain like they've been bending way too much. Very much in the joint without any swelling

Juan Derlust

StP Supporter
Top Poster of the Month
Current Location
elsewhere
I could offer you some worthless advice - Be careful or Take it easy - but pain relief is a difficult realm to master. I rely mostly on whatever intoxicants are at hand - plus aspirin, sometimes ibuprofen. My sister's an RN, habitual cannabinoid - I've asked her if there's anything stronger than Fentanyl, but she's now handing out the 'Opioid prescriptions are hard to get' line.

Juan Derlust

StP Supporter
Top Poster of the Month
Current Location
elsewhere
Do you feel it's more of a repetitive motion injury?

OP
EphemeralStick

EphemeralStick

Staff member
Current Location
Santa Cruz ish
Do you feel it's more of a repetitive motion injury?
Hmmm, yeah I think so. I haven't banged them or fallen down or anything so I feel like repetitive motion injury makes sense.

Those are common in joggers and tennis players right?

Juan Derlust

StP Supporter
Top Poster of the Month
Current Location
elsewhere
Last edited by a moderator:

Juan Derlust

StP Supporter
Top Poster of the Month
Current Location
elsewhere
You appear reaasonably fit - any major joint issues in your immediate family?

Juan Derlust

StP Supporter
Top Poster of the Month
Current Location
elsewhere
Incidentally, I'm not a doctor
- but I can sure bullshit like one...

OP
EphemeralStick

EphemeralStick

Staff member
Current Location
Santa Cruz ish
You appear reaasonably fit - any major joint issues in your immediate family?
Actually yes, my mom has weak knees and my grandmother had all sorts of arthritis and bone issues beginning at a reasonably young age. I believe it started to onset when she was around 40 or 50, but she was also a battle axe latina momma so it could've started at 30 and she just worked through it for all I know haha.

(Ya 'Off Topic'd me again)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $20.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $20.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $20.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $20.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

just now saw yet another article of people talking photos of themselves and falling into a waterfall and being pummeled into drowning - why people why - i recall when i first heard something like this out at Silver Falls eas of Corvallis, I think it was 2012 or 2013, but it never ceases to amaze me that it happens so much all over the world
Hitched into Quebec City, got a free wristband to a music festival with The Offspring and Blink-182 playing!! Good times, now off to Charny, back on the rails!
'All I know is that I dont know nothin'
Fillmore, California... California is the ultimate shithole..!!!
how many of you get inspired when you watch 'into the wild'??? i know it always makes me want to hit the road.
Faceplant wrote on NotmybestNotmyworst's profile.
Come here, let me give you a big, loving hug. But don’t pick up the soap.
Looking for folks in Nyc, tips also welcome!
Im absolutely alone (aside from my dog) because EVEN HERE i have to deal with cunts like you.
NotmybestNotmyworst wrote on Faceplant's profile.
Call me fucking lazy again!