Tips for bad knees (1 Viewer)

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Juan Derlust

the map isn't the territory
StP Supporter
Top Poster of the Month
Current Location
elsewhere
Oy vey. You got a tough row to hoe, kid. I love physical activity - hiking, climbing, surfing, biking, - but at 53 the only advice I'll listen to is the pain signals from my limbs, spine, & innards telling me to slow down, or be more thoughtful rather in my movements. But yeah, you gotta work; toil sucks - especially money-wise - but no need to compound suffering by sacrificing your physical wellbeing into the bargain

Last edited by a moderator:
Current Location
East Bay
A knee brace might help. Limit strenuous activity for 8 wks if you can. Thicker soles on shoes to cushion impact. Hiking with pack, up hills, jumping off trains, fences, biking, all wear n tear. Take it easy for a while try CBD creme.
screenshot_2018-07-12-22-13-30-png.44422_Tips for bad knees_Staying Healthy_Squat the Planet_10:22 PM

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Travel Mentor
Current Location
Slab City, CA
Website
www.youtube.com
I'll start off by saying that my knees are FUCKED from jumping out of aircraft while I was in the Marine Corps. My injuries were/are also of a repetitive nature, although less frequent use and more recurring impact.

Where in the knee is the pain centered? Top? Bottom? Inside? Outside? Front? Back?

I've dealt with all of the above, and something that has often worked for me on the worse days is to wrap them where the pain is centered, with some athletic tape.

The reason I use athletic tape is because I usually can't afford Kinesiology tape, which is scientifically designed and proven to relieve knee pain.

Here are a few links I found for some Kinesiology tape:

Theratape.com

KT Tape

How it works, by Running.Competitor.com

Hope this info helps!

Engineer J Lupo

the most derailingest mod.
Staff member
Current Location
530 Rackerby, California
Website
youtu.be
I used to take glucosamine chondroitin for my knee and deltoid as well. It definitely seemed to help but it wasn't overnight. This was back in like.. 2001 or so, hard to remember exactly how long it took but I wanna say I started noticing improvement at around a months time on the supplement. My knee crackles and pops when I squat now, it doesn't hurt but it's loud. My deltoid still acts funny depending on how I sleep. All in all I think it helped. I should probably start taking it again since I'm like 43 years old and my bones are increasingly letting me know how weak they're becoming.

Juan Derlust

the map isn't the territory
StP Supporter
Top Poster of the Month
Current Location
elsewhere
Here’s the deal - you gotta rely on your knees for the remainder of your time here. I see older folks hobbling across the street and I used to wonder if their pain was really as bad as they were making it look. I no longer think that way. From an engineering standpoint, things fail predictably - however, we can take steps (pun intended) to mitigate the rate of failure

OP
EphemeralStick

EphemeralStick

Quality Control Queer Commando
Staff member
Current Location
Santa Cruz ish
At 28 i'm starting notice my body slowing down and having more aches and pains. Every so often I'll throw my back out on top of everything else.

I feel like if I don't start taking care of these problems now then i'm just gonna be a wreck later on.

As a side note these glucosamine pills are massive.
15315038049866577513106749915058-jpg.44444_Tips for bad knees_Staying Healthy_Squat the Planet_10:44 AM

Good thing I haven't had a gag reflex since the tenth grade.
Heyooo

Dunedrifter

Current Location
Eureka, California
So i'm pretty hard on my knees because my work; a whole lot of bending, lifting, and crawling around. It hasn't been a problem until the last few days when they've started to really ache, even when i'm sitting or laying down.

I was wondering if any one else has knee pain and if there's anything I can do to alleviate some of the pain? I've been taking Aleve and Ibuprofen as well as smoking weed but it just covers up the pain, I want to be rid of it.

Any and all advice is appreciated.
I’m pushing 50, but have had infrequent knee pain since my early 30’s. I’ve done a lot of running and backpacking, and now bicycling.

I went to a physical therapist who basically showed me an exercise to do a few times a day (or more) to get the fluid that lubricates your joints to flow better under your tendons and ligaments.

Take a small towel and roll it up to about the thickness of your wrist (you can just use your wrist too, but a towel works better). Sit at the edge of a chair or on a bed or the ground, lay back and put the towel behind your knee while pulling your leg back toward your butt. Squeeze it just enough so you feel a little tension, and hold it 5 seconds. Then alternate the other knee for 5 seconds, going back and forth five or six times each.

You should immediately feel some relief. I do this everyday. Hope this helps, it sure did for me.

nobrains

Pilgrim
Current Location
Owasso, United States
Website
www.vilecultofshapes.blogspot.com
Drink bone broth with lots of collagen in it. Bring a pot of pig feet and neck bones to a boil, dump it out to rid the impurities, cover with water again, boil on low overnight, strain. Boil down til it's thicker if you want. Season with salt. You can make lots of stuff with this. If you add leeks and season it with soy sauce you have a quality ramen broth. You can also make it out of beef bones or chicken carcasses too. Chicken feet add collagen as well. Adding meat for a few hours makes it taste better.

Collagen is what your knees are made of. Folks take glucosamine supplements when they get old, well this is better because it's dietary, so it fills in more gaps. Drink a cup twice a day and a lot more than your knees will repair themselves.

Try to make it out of good quality ingredients, since it's medicine. Find a local farmer online. They have directories. Don't use the factory farmed shit at Walmart. Those diseased animals are likely to give you cancer or something.

Last edited:

ScumRag

me, hellarity, oak, ca. about 2006
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
San Diego, CA
Tho I realise not everyone has access to a pool - think 24 hour fitness, the Y, the ocean, etc... My doc told me point blank to start swimming daily to alleviate joint pain. Beyond that, Glucosamine works well but me think someone already rec'd that.

The swimming has done wonders for my sciatica.....

Shaka

That One Guy
StP Supporter
Current Location
Knee brace with the steel hinge on both sides. I got one after I got my knee sewn up after i blew it out. Had to wait after the 26 stitches came out though of course. Since then it helped me keep 95% of mobility in my left knee. Goes out every now and then to. It aches around winter time usually as well.

Dont know if this lil bit of info might help or not.

Scar is bout 6 years old

Attachments

Current Location
Corona, CA
I've had a knee problem for years ever since my second dislocation. Best thing i need is to strengthen the muscles around the knee (there are like 15 you need to work on) and start carrying a walking stick. Both are good, but probably glucosamine would also be good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $20.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $20.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $20.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $20.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Hitched into Quebec City, got a free wristband to a music festival with The Offspring and Blink-182 playing!! Good times, now off to Charny, back on the rails!
'All I know is that I dont know nothin'
Fillmore, California... California is the ultimate shithole..!!!
how many of you get inspired when you watch 'into the wild'??? i know it always makes me want to hit the road.
Faceplant wrote on NotmybestNotmyworst's profile.
Come here, let me give you a big, loving hug. But don’t pick up the soap.
Looking for folks in Nyc, tips also welcome!
Im absolutely alone (aside from my dog) because EVEN HERE i have to deal with cunts like you.
NotmybestNotmyworst wrote on Faceplant's profile.
Call me fucking lazy again!
dumpsternavel wrote on Matt Derrick's profile.
What's with the "reacting to your own content is cheating" when it comes to rating other's comments on personal posts??

Members online