this intrepid writer has got some questions!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
man, i fucking hate it when people (brandon) go back and edit (i.e. delete) their posts. if you're not willing to stand by what you say on the net, then don't fucking say it.

spoorprint

Reaction score
Warning on CNN/Time Warner!

June of 1967 Time decided to run a cover story called "The Hippies" about what had been a quit social movement in S.F. and N.Y.C. with a few communes in the woods.

By the end of summer all the communes, free clinics, and crash pads were over run.everything was being commercialized.

Some annoying tweenie nerd even ran out
and bought a yellow rayon Nehru shirt and some camel bells on a thong from Hornes in Pittsburgh.
Run from this guy!

mksnowboarder

Reaction score
Lol, OP. Didn't you realize you could've avoided this shitstorm by just saying, "Sorry, guys, I didn't realize it was an inappropriate request. I still want to experience the variety of travel you engage in, so I'll use your website as a reference and get out there and try it some day"?

Also, Widerstand re-editing the post made me laugh for some reason. We force you to stick to your guns here :)

mike

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I think it's clear that he intended to burn us to advance his career- he had nothing to back him up, no reputation to defend, and he even omitted the names of anyone who could be connected to him. And now he's trying to cover his tracks after lashing out at Widerstand for pointing out his shortcomings. It also seems that he targeted female members to PM, instead of the broad spectrum of people that we are. Very dishonest and untrustworthy in my view.

bote

Reaction score
Ha, the stp community coming together to roast a reporter down in the jungle.
I`d gladly rake the coals a minute, but I`d say this goose is pretty cooked.

bote

Reaction score
one thing from the style-sheet though Ancil: peppering one`s speech with exclamation marks usually denotes that the writer is either insincere, or believes they are talking to ¨young people¨, not really appreciated by most ¨young people¨. Oaky doakey!?
Good Luck!

Don`t be so goddamn eager next time (Juliet Lewis!)

oldmanLee

Reaction score
Well,I got a pm from him,and he has all the charm of a 4 year old wheedling its grandparents for a toy that its folks said it couldn't have.
Does this mean that he thinks I'm female?

Reactions: bote

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Well,I got a pm from him,and he has all the charm of a 4 year old wheedling its grandparents for a toy that its folks said it couldn't have.
Does this mean that he thinks I'm female?

Bwahahaha, I guess I'm wrong on the female part.

christianarchy

Reaction score
Widerstand said:
I would not worry about this guy anymore. I have been digging into this guys background to the point where I have enough dirt on him to bury him and then some.

sometimes i imagine you having this book full of every imaginable detail of every person that's ever been on stp.

trotsky

Reaction score
I dunno, being a total noob here, I can still understand the ambivalence you all have to this guy. I wouldn't try to push him away entirely, maybe invite him to go on a short trip or something so he can get an idea, then make sure he clears the final production with you?

I mean, it's one thing for him to do a "shocking [and patronizing] exposé of the squatter subculture" or whatever, and it's another for him to actually experience it, draw his own conclusions, and actually learn something.

Brandon, I'd try reading through here and doing some of the shit on your own, THEN coming back to film or whatever, because it seems like you've got quite a few preconceived notions.

Instead of doing some glamourous, glossed-over feature on this, get right into it, and learn not only for the sake of the film, but your own sake, about squatters. Go gonzo! I think if you followed in Hunter S. Thompson's footsteps and really immersed yourself in it, instead of simply examining things from afar with the twisting, manipulative journalist's eye, you might be able to turn out something of value for both you and the community (key word, might.)

BUMJUG

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
dude fuck brandon and fuck CNN.........not pickup hitchikers now???i bet he never would!!....this guy aint no anthropologist....he just seeks to milk and sensationalize things so that people would eat it all up and then shit it out...ultimately making the ground he stands on higher than it was before.....i am glad to see this site has at least this much security culture as to send negative feedback to this fools inquiry....

lostinspace

Reaction score
boy did you walk into this one. first off, i agree completely that if you want to learn about the life style you must experience it. that said i still don't know why you have everybody so up in arms, even if you do have the inclination i seriously doubt that you could do us much damage by making a video or whatever it is that you have planned. hell write it all down and send it to the feds, what difference will it makes. as they've pointed out already its been down so i don't know what everybody is afraid of. some nerd with the internet and a camera doesn't scare me. you want to ask me some questions go ahead and ask me, i might even tell you the truth, maybe. you want to know the truth that everybody on here is trying to hide from you. We're people. Every one of us is different. sure there are similarities due to the fact that most of us on here live similar lifestyles, but we're all not the same. i would go as far to say that most people on the streets in the USA, are there by their own choice. mostly because they would rather drink and do drugs than do anything else, especially work, so that is exactly what they do. and then they get self-righteous about how they live their lives. bare in mind that i would proudly call myself homeless. I said most people, which is my point, we're all people just like you and all the assholes in suits and ties. we're all people with unique backgrounds because we've all walked are own roads. go out there and live your own life.

Johnny Lightspeed

Reaction score
Damn I think just by all of us telling him (and CNN even though I think that's part of the text he edited out because I never saw it) to fuck off he learned a lot more about our mentality than any typed story would've told him haha. Not saying that's a bad thing or nothing just that we're a tough crowd to dupe I guess

120 Proof Vomit

Reaction score
Flogging a dead horse here, but it seems kind of trivializing on an individual level to me, that one would consider writing such a story. It's sort of like going out with intentions to find like a Muslim dude so you can say to people "Meet my Muslim friend." Lost said it pretty well, dude, it's just people living life. Do you see any travelers lining up to interview you?

614 crust

Ex-Moderator / Elitist asshole
Reaction score
Website
feralkidscreations.com
first off, i agree completely that if you want to learn about the life style you must experience it. that said i still don't know why you have everybody so up in arms, even if you do have the inclination i seriously doubt that you could do us much damage by making a video or whatever it is that you have planned. i don't know what everybody is afraid of

Well making us look worse than we already do. Or blowing shit up and making it harder for us than it already is. Attracting a bunch of young idiots who don't care anything about the things we do but just think it's cool. There is all kinds of damage it could cause.

i would go as far to say that most people on the streets in the USA, are there by their own choice. mostly because they would rather drink and do drugs than do anything else, especially work[

Speak for yourself. I'm sure this is the case for a lot of homeless people in this country but don't forget for a lot of us it is not by choice. And even for some that do choose it it's not because they'd rather do drugs and and get drunk all the time and not work. When I first became homeless it was not by choice. Now though I do travel because I choose to and not because I wanna get drunk and high all the time and not work but because I love traveling.

we're all people with unique backgrounds because we've all walked are own roads. go out there and live your own life.

Now this I can agree with

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads