Thinking of moving to slab city with our kids

DrewSTNY

Reaction score
Said people had to go their different ways and have only heard from them a handful of times. A few with family, one went to Hawaii etc. We tried going to a shelter but they won't take all of us because we are not legally married. Things just seem very bleak right now.

At this point, I would stay put until they send the sheriff in. I hate to think that should city would do that on this weekend, but people suck. Make them take you to court or whatever.

You have internet, or you wouldn't be talking to us. Use it to find churches that run food banks or soup kitchens, they usually have good programs for shelter as well. Offer to clean the church in exchange for shelter. Since you are not married, go by yourself to get food stamps. You'll easily get emergency aid for you and the kids. It's harder to get it with your partner, like next to impossible. At least you'll have food covered. Get some stuff from Salvation Army or Deserette (?) [Mormons] to at least set up shelter if you are on the street.

As far as heading to the Slabs, I can't answer that, but it's a long way away with no car. You could try posting in the ride board, but without knowing anyone at all out there, I don't know. However, I have heard that if you go without any conceived notion or expectation, people will surprise you, just don't take advantage of their kindness.

Chazten

Reaction score
So if you had a landlord I assumed you paid rent? Use rent money to buy a cheap vehicle off Craigslist, there's tons under 700$, work day labor to get up the money to maintain the car, start over, going to the Slabs with nothing is not a great idea!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads