News & Blogs The reasons why you aren't and will never be a gypsy...

black

Reaction score
saying that exposing cultural appropriation is way too PC is just an easy way out of having to think for more than five seconds. ofcourse if that culture doesn't matter to you, you wouldn't give a shit who says what or does what that appropriates that culture. you don't have to experience having your culture made into a plaything for white liberals.

black

Reaction score
don't get me wrong. I aint the thought police myself. I don't give a shit what some stinky white dude says or does. but im gonna call bullshit when I see it.

black

Reaction score
and also, its completely up to the population whom the word affects to decide what it means and why

black

Reaction score
and also, its completely up to the population whom the word affects to decide what it means and why
to clarify, if Gypsy once referred a certain ethnicity, it doesn't matter what the majority says or does with the word, if the "majority" in question who are using the word are not Roma then they are wrong, completely and totally, if the Roma do not agree.

Reactions: Thenisia

DrewSTNY

Reaction score

Agreed, but the context of speech is more important. If I say, "you are an ass", that's much different than, "you have a nice ass." People can tell when they are being berated no matter what words are used, and that in itself will illicit a response.

Usually, ending with a punch in the face of the offending party.

Reactions: VikingAdventurer

black

Reaction score
Agreed, but the context of speech is more important. If I say, "you are an ass", that's much different than, "you have a nice ass." People can tell when they are being berated no matter what words are used, and that in itself will illicit a response.

Usually, ending with a punch in the face of the offending party.
well yeah sure. if you say gypsy simply to refer to the word, its meaning, and your beliefs on it then that's one thing. there is no intent to identify yourself or anyone as a gypsy, so there is no harm unless an individual present is somehow triggered emotionally by simply hearing the word, possibly due to some sort of traumatic event or past abuse, but even in that case the individual saying it might not have had any way of knowing and if they did, it would bring them full circle back to just being an asshole. intent and context do affect whether or not the words MEANS harm, but whether or not it CAUSES harm does not completely hinge on intent or context

black

Reaction score
any slur definitely causes harm no matter what, and even if I said I believed that someone was being too PC by policing my behavior and what I say (and believe or not in some situations entirely dissimilar to this one, I have said that) it doesn't relieve me of responsibility for what I said. sure, I don't want some overzealous tumblr millennial barking up my ass about everything I say, and those people are really annoying. but racism is real, and racism against Roma culture is real. as an American I have no clue how calling a Roma person a gypsy might effect them, even though when I hear the word I feel nothing, so as a human I would think it means nothing. the point is, empathy. you can choose to propagate empathy or not. its everyone choice. I aint forcing anyone. but if you don't choose to try and understand then I WILL NOT tolerate you and will treat you accordingly

DrewSTNY

Reaction score
I completely respect and admire the Romani people for the shit they have had to put up with and still put up with, especially in Europe where they continue to be the most repressed and poorest population. To ME, "gypsy" and "Romani" are two different things whether or not that is right or not, I am ignorant.

I get where the OP is coming from and it takes a big set of balls now a days to be willing to defend your people.

As far are the rest, well, I think we need to respect each other even if we disagree. Like you, if someone wants to get in my shorts about how I talk or do things because they are some kind of SJW, then they can just fuck off.

black

Reaction score
I also want to clarify that I do care about social justice. my entire set of beliefs and morals are inspired by social justice. anarchism, anarcho-communism, are based on social justice. social justice has this ridiculous "bogey-man" reputation because of neckbeard redditors and youtubers who just cuss, yell, and don jester outfits for the masses to make a living. you don't have to be a misinformed liberal tumblr-born millennial dickwad to believe in social justice. being opposed to racism is a belief born of social justice initiatives. and that ties in to the conversation about this word.

black

Reaction score
so yeah, im against some liberal who knows jack-shit about fighting for social justice confronting me on facebook because I listen to rap that uses the word bitch. but I am not against fighting racism and the ignorant habits of white people, like saying words like gypsy, which they will make every excuse in the book seemingly to keep doing

DrewSTNY

Reaction score
The social justice that brought about the end of slavery in the US, women's suffrage, abolition (well meaning although miss-guided), de-segregation, and other classical social movements came from a much different vein than today's form of social justice. They came from a sense of the dignity of the individual where as today's social movements seem to be coming from a sense of entitlement.

I must just be getting old and don't understand why everyone wants to be labeled and recognized as an under-privileged class.

Reactions: bystander
A

AlwaysLost

Gypsy can also refer to Irish Travelers.

If you're of the opinion that racial groups can "own" cultures then there's plenty of neo nazis that would agree wholeheartedly, globalization and dissemination of culture are things that actually happen regardless of socioeconomic status

Irish Travelers don't like to be called Gypsy's either or pikeys or tinkers. lol. Have a few of those in my family they'd probably punch you in the face if you called em a Gypsy.

Im just your average white boy though. Haven't seen any of those crazy fools in 20 years.

Last edited:

otch0z

Reaction score
Well, the thing is that I think that no one likes to be called a gypsy... Except in the US where it's cool because the word meaning changed. But being from a nomad people and get called a gypsy is an insult, for what i know

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads