The Appalachian Trail

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score
i've been from springer mtn in ga. to damascus va. but i kind of slack-packed a little from tn. to va.
what would you like to know?

gnat

Reaction score
I'm starting in NC and working my way down to GA. Its about 250 miles...I'm just curious how long itll take. Also if it's easy to hitch into town to get food for the trail... How many miles were you hiking a day when you first started?

dharma bum

Reaction score
go and get yourself a copy of the Appalachian Trail Thru-Hiker's Companion. it's pretty much tells you where shelters/water sources/access roads (and the distance to and from each one) and lots of other things. it will save your life!

250 miles.. well, it really depends on how fast and long you walk and of course your pack weight. mine was about 25lbs - 35lbs with a weeks food and as much water as i could carry. i've been backpacking since i was about 8 or 9, so i'm kinda used to knowing what to expect.
for most people, first day or two- i'd say between 5 and 8 miles p/day (you should be training before you go and fatten up, too). after a few days your muscles will get more used to being so active and you can get up to 12-15 miles a day.
you're not thru-hiking so you don't really have to rush it. i had to hike at least 15m a day just to my destinations in time.
shelters are set up at about half a day to a day's hike apart(again, depending on how fast you walk) and most have some kind of water source and some have bear cables to hang your food.
hitching into town is soooo easy around the trail and people will sometimes give you food or pay for your meal or something. those people are called "trail angels". they are rad-ass.
also a lot of the convenient stores won't accept EBT. i found this out the hard way. bring some moneys or a debit card.

depending on your pack-weight, you could do it in a month... give or take.

JannethintheWind

Reaction score
Hey bud old post but any suggestions regard NH plan on doing pinkham knotch to hanover and suggestions head out of state and off the trail?

go and get yourself a copy of the Appalachian Trail Thru-Hiker's Companion. it's pretty much tells you where shelters/water sources/access roads (and the distance to and from each one) and lots of other things. it will save your life!

250 miles.. well, it really depends on how fast and long you walk and of course your pack weight. mine was about 25lbs - 35lbs with a weeks food and as much water as i could carry. i've been backpacking since i was about 8 or 9, so i'm kinda used to knowing what to expect.
for most people, first day or two- i'd say between 5 and 8 miles p/day (you should be training before you go and fatten up, too). after a few days your muscles will get more used to being so active and you can get up to 12-15 miles a day.
you're not thru-hiking so you don't really have to rush it. i had to hike at least 15m a day just to my destinations in time.
shelters are set up at about half a day to a day's hike apart(again, depending on how fast you walk) and most have some kind of water source and some have bear cables to hang your food.
hitching into town is soooo easy around the trail and people will sometimes give you food or pay for your meal or something. those people are called "trail angels". they are rad-ass.
also a lot of the convenient stores won't accept EBT. i found this out the hard way. bring some moneys or a debit card.

depending on your pack-weight, you could do it in a month... give or take.

dharma bum

Reaction score
look up there ^^^... Appalachian Trail Thru-Hiker's Companion. tells you everything you need to know. you don't need the latest version, just one maybe from 2008 and forward.

as of off the trail, there's only logging roads and highways every now and then. most hwys are 3-13m from a town.

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
Oh yeah Pinkham to Hanover that's my stomping grounds....hang around pinkham and someone might take ya in to employee housing....next is the hut system, they'll let u stay for free in return for wash some dishes whatever.
Used to be a lil hostel in glencliffe..not that great though...Hanover is college town with stupid rich frat bro and biddie types as well as a few cool folks sprinkled around...there is rope swing into the connecticut river
beautiful hike. also the shelter system is great...don't even need a tent

JannethintheWind

Reaction score
look up there ^^^... Appalachian Trail Thru-Hiker's Companion. tells you everything you need to know. you don't need the latest version, just one maybe from 2008 and forward.

as of off the trail, there's only logging roads and highways every now and then. most hwys are 3-13m from a town.
yea i think ive got a copy from 2009. Just used to paying for coach trains curious about alternatives

Teko

rooted
StP Supporter
Reaction score
the biggest part from nc to ga is a ten day gap ( i believe its 100 miles), but other than that, the rest of the spots in between the shelters/resupply post are pretty easy, no more than a few days hike. dont camp near the water!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads