Tarp/tent vs. Hammock | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Tarp/tent vs. Hammock

travelin

Reaction score
D

Deleted member 2626

theres hundreds of stores to buy tents from, look them all up on the web, no tents completely waterproof. . . and wouldnt it be common sense to think a tarp is cheaper...oog

travelin

Reaction score
Every tent I've ever used had to be sprayed down with scotchguard type stuff to make it really water proof.

Make sure the floor extends up into the air a bit instead of just being sewn to the sides at ground level.

lkz

Reaction score
dont tie your hammock too tight sleep DIAGONAL and its alot more comfotable cos it creates an almost flat part to lie on. ive been using one for half a year. Have considered getting rid of it to just have a tarp but wouldnt. It weighs less than a kilo

JoelRailDude

Reaction score
I'm getting this:
447.jpg

Its a Hammock, Its a Tent, its both!!!! it comes in cammo, so it can blend in the jungle, and it comes with a tarp for rain, you can remove the outer layer andi ts made of mosquito netting.
Pricey, but good, we'll see...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YLIX7W/

Reactions: Psi em and dolittle

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
Meh i have done the tarp tent thing for awhile,sure i like the tarp for an a-frame shelter since i can have a nice fire to keep me warm,that is nice to have during the winters and crap.But i just recently picked up this tent here for $25.If its winter time and it gets down to the damn 20's here in Florida then ill do a A-frame and have a roaring fire to keep me warm into the 60's-70's all night.

I can't seem to find anything wrong with it other then it might need some seam sealer which is $4.50.Other then that it kicks ass and is pretty lightweight.

I figured rather then drop $25 on another tarp id get this cheapo tent and keep myself out of the elements and rain as well and i can blend in a bit better too.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P9GZGE/

3 1/2 lbs with the bag so its not extremely lightweight but for $25 its a start lol.

left52side

Reaction score
I use a trap mainly. 5.00 blue tarp from wal mart.Drier than any fancy tent I have ever had.
Recently got an eno single nest hammock and the rain fly for it seems pretty tough. I am not going to carry the bug net with me just the hammock sleep straps and the rainfly. and elminating my tarp.
I have slept in the hammock before and they seem really comfortabe to me. and all in all I think it weights totalwith everything like 4 lbs and packs pretty small.sets up in about 5 mnutes with the bug net and rainfly.
All in all pretty cool thing. and got it for free non the less.

Reactions: Psi em

lkz

Reaction score
I'm getting this:
447.jpg

Its a Hammock, Its a Tent, its both!!!! it comes in cammo, so it can blend in the jungle, and it comes with a tarp for rain, you can remove the outer layer andi ts made of mosquito netting.
Pricey, but good, we'll see...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YLIX7W/

thats looks sweeet, the camo one looks well good. Im still considering getting rid of my hammock. That one above weighs 4 lbs where as you can just carry a 3x3 tarp that weighs around 1 lbs.

you can find some amazing tree top stealth camping spots with hammocks though; the average person hardly looks up..

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score
Its one of the many benefits of dwarfism: you save a ton on pack weight.

3x3 metres: around 9x9 feet

ahh... METERS. thought you were talking about feet. i carried a 9x12 FEET tarp and sometimes just a cheap backpacking poncho from campmore that has grommet holes on the corners to steak out as a shelter.

ipoPua

Reaction score
i use my big green tarp like a ghetto bivy, put my bags at the head and wrap it around so it holds itself down with the outermost seams placed to keep dry, wrap that around me and pull the other end under me. i'm looking to figure out how to tie some rocks or whatnot on so it doesnt slip out in the night but it works quite well enough. it's open at the feet but it keeps the rain off. a hammock seems totally impractical to me, no use in the rain and way too fragile. i'm sure there's benefits though, i just dont know them.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads