Seeking Help - StP HQ / Punk Rock RV Park | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Seeking Help StP HQ / Punk Rock RV Park

beersalt

Reaction score
Website
m.soundcloud.com
So willing to through down on this.

Currently been in Tucson, AZ. Rent is cheap here, and there are some awesome community resources, and a real active punk/diy/anarchist scene.

Maybe within a stone throw of Tucson would be worth looking into for land?
Definitely a hub for travellers, as well.

Mongo

Reaction score
I could help put time and effort into a place in north east Ohio. I'm in cleveland currently and there is a lot of rural cheap land within 30 miles. Also if you look inside the city there are a lot of places that can easily be worked on because of super relaxed codes on permits.

There is a lot of factory work around here too for some reason a lot of places can't find remotely sober people to work for them.

D

Deleted member 24782

i love the idea, i really have never worked in a cooperative group that i felt really worked. i eventually stopped doing that kinda stuff, because it was always just a bunch of people arguing, talking and never actually doing anything. i would much rather just show up and someone says we need this hole dug, here is a shovel, dig it, then sit through 10 meetings of 20 people arguing about the best most way to dig a hole and how to fairly divide up the work of digging holes. just give me the fucking shovel and i will dig them all while you sit around talking about it.
so most of the time i just do projects by myself, just easier, and the shit gets done. I will say that all of my projects, and all the projects i've been apart of always fail for the same reasons.
money / rent. if you buy the land this takes care of rent, you still have to pay property taxes but this is very affordable. all my early projects failed because they eventually grew to a point where they because financially unfeasible, because they didn't generate any money and i couldn't afford to keep them going. the one that lasted the longest and got the biggest was printing, and happened because it generated an income, which made it possible to expand and continue.
the other big problem in anti authoritarian projects is lack of a good way to get past disagreements, and people constantly trying to fight for status and leadership roles (in groups where there are supposed to be no leaders).

there is lots of cheap land. i love the area around flag. i had hoped to find a job and buy land in the area but it just didn't work out. I-17 & I-40 meet there, lots of cheap land around valle & ashfork, zoning laws are not really the greatest, but lots of people in the area seem to be ignoring them.

i was kind of looking at land in pershing county nevada near lovelock. it's cheap, there is lots of work between fernley and reno at an industrial center, winters are doable off the grid, summers aren't too bad. no state income tax. it is off the I-80. not sure about zoning, have not researched that yet. i do know in some counties in nevada there are little to no restrictions.

new mexico sounds interested, haven't looked into it much, but it is an area on my list of places to go.

I live in Pershing county, building codes aren't bad at all, I'm at the edge of the county and the inspector is in Lovelock, he's too far to come out so all I do is email him pics and he signs off my projects that way. Grid power and LP gas both had to be physically inspected by those providers, but that was easy too.

D

Deleted member 13433

So, I got a really dumb question, which is based on some of the more recent bantering's going on here:

Is the goal of this STP community to be like - STP's version of an intentional community ??

Because of some of the recent posts over the past couple of months, this subject of intentional communal living [which I never heard of before...] has kind of struck a chord inside of me.

Part of me thinks is a great idea - a community of like minded individuals, all living together for a common goal, but what happens when someone decides to join up, and then starts to interject their own views or ideas ??

I think it's an important question, and it can be applied to many things - even neighborhoods.

Where I currently live, it's been my home among other things since late July 1991.
The neighborhood then was primarially Polish and working class.
And it was on the wonkey side too - but it was super safe, and it was the perfect place to set up plans to build a home recording studio - where live music with full bands was possible.

As of late, the neighborhood has been changing, people been moving in and not because they want to be a part of what once was [which was my reason...] but because of what they can make it in to.

So now, you get this new homeowner from Peru, who is ok with trash being deposited everywhere, and he has a real hatred of trees and is cutting down every tree in sight, which is enraging me beyond belief.

So, if this was a type of intentional community - could the long time residents rise up and throw him and his ilk out ??

The thing that worries me about any kind of community is when the original vision changes, and it's not for the better - although I am certain that is subjective as well, because who gets to say what is right and wrong.

The CRASS ethos from what I remember - I'm going back to the mid 1980s now, was "do what you want to do, be who you want to be", and their version of anarchy was just that - as long as no living being was hurt or harmed in any way.

This is something I could get completely on board with.

One of the STP people whose name escapes me - he just got a warning for appparently not playing nicely with other's - it seems to me that he is trying very hard to find the right place, the right scene - and there seems to be a pattern where he does indeed check different groups and scenes out, but it sounds like he try's to interject his own views and values on people who have been living a certain way, and that to me is 100% wrong.

You can't just walk up and say you people are all fucked.

Where I am going with this - is how would the STP community work ??
Would it be a free for all kinds of misfits like maybe The Slabs on a way smaller scale, or would it be more along the lines of the CRASS Dial House which Penny Rimbaud put together back in the 1970s, and is still going - I believe - today.

It would really suck to get something going only to see it get destroyed.
That's why talking about this rather than jumping in head first is probably not a bad idea.

Anarchy Peace LOVE and Freedom

MetalBryan

Reaction score
What if there isn't a right place but a right time?

A lot of people are hurting right now, some are getting by, but not a small percentage of people are like me - fresh off the job with no return of employment, our local social networks have collapsed because our friends are bugging out, and pockets full of stimulating government cheddar.

Could the experiment be as simple as picking a spot with temperate weather, finding a rural real estate agent, and renting a house with acreage?

NewMexicoJim

High mileage, good condition.
Reaction score
With nothing but time on my hands lately, I have been conducting research on mortgages. Having never had one, I knew near zero about the process and what types of home loans were currently available. I was surprised at my results which could be useful here.

While traditional mortgage rates are at historic lows of under 3%, lenders are tightening their credit requirements so going through a mortgage lender or bank would probably get many of us here rejected. There are other options to traditional home loans though.There are government programs designed for first time home buyers, people with low incomes and just ok credit, people in rural areas.

FHA Guaranteed Loan: 3.5% down payment. FHA guarantees 90% of the loan which you get through a mortgage lender. Credit requirements are not as stringent. Rates around 4%.
What is an FHA Loan? - Complete Guide to FHA Loans | Zillow - https://www.zillow.com/mortgage-learning/fha-loan/

U.S. Dept. of Agriculture:

Guaranteed Loan, Zero down payment. Low interest around 3-4%, guaranteed by USDA and obtained through traditional lender. Can be used to buy, upgrade/improve or build new. be in approved rural area of less than 35,000 population, cannot be used for income generation, must live on property plus other requirements. For low income buyers with less than stellar credit.

Direct Loan: Zero down payment, interest around 1% with subsidy. This is for low income buyers with less than stellar credit and buyer must "be without decent, safe and sanitary housing." Must live in the house for 10 years, plus other stipulations. Yes, that's right ZERO DOWN, 1% INTEREST if you qualify. No joke. This loan is obtained directly through the USDA and not a traditional mortgage lender.

USDA Single Family Housing Program

I realize that this isn't for everyone but I thought @Matt Derrick and a few others with dreams of a sanctuary might find this helpful.

• Useful
Reactions: Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
So, a small update post just to let people know that are following this thread that I've deleted a lot of posts and answered most of those deleted questions in the OP and greatly expanded on the information there, so check that out and let's continue the discussion; I'm really liking a lot of the ideas and questions people have so far. Some of the more complicated ones I'll try and address here soon.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Whats the budget. Theres a huge plot of land on sauvies island thats a forclosure goin for 1000000

that sounds awesome but we're not anywhere near 1 million dollars. maybe 100,000 maximum, and even that would take a lot of work.

marble

Reaction score
southern oregon is pretty cheap and pretty solid location for the west.. but PA and NM sound pretty cool too! all around fun idea look forward to reading more and watching this idea turn into reality

Marble

• Useful

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
How many acres, roughly are you imagining?

I'll be exploring the options of Idaho fasho

I'm imagining somewhere between 3 to 5 acres. possibly two if it was a more urban area.

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
Honestly I'd say Missouri, Tennessee or Kentucky. There's a reason there's already so many communes in those states despite being red leaning. Cheap land, long growing season, plenty of water, not a lot of permits/red tape out in the country, ect... If you're looking for just the cheapest property possible West Virginia is the spot, Morgantown area still has cheap land in the hills and it's relatively close to Pittsburgh.

• Useful

marble

Reaction score
Honestly I'd say Missouri, Tennessee or Kentucky. There's a reason there's already so many communes in those states despite being red leaning. Cheap land, long growing season, plenty of water, not a lot of permits/red tape out in the country, ect... If you're looking for just the cheapest property possible West Virginia is the spot, Morgantown area still has cheap land in the hills and it's relatively close to Pittsburgh.

morgantown is awesome area

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

marble

Reaction score
could you please elaborate with more information? WHY is it awesome?

I just meant West Virginia as a whole is beautiful, im actually not to sure on the city of morgantown i know they had good skate scene and we came down through there from pits but i enjoyed the rolling hills and lakes with some cool cliff jumping spots, some of the best thrifting/flea markets, and the fire flies litter the sky during the hot summers.. only spent a few months when i was younger, closer to Charleston but i enjoyed it and always thought it would be a mellow/affordable spot to buy land.
-marble

• Useful

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
Morgantown is pretty much the party town of West Virginia. It's home to WVU and is a Mecca for young people around the state. Everyone used to burn couches on their front lawns whenever the football team won a game if that gives you any idea.

• Useful
D

Deleted member 24782

makes sense, if you did i'd sure appreciate it. if for no other reason than to just start a federation of houses/properties people can travel to, which is kind of a far flung idea i have for this project once the first one gets started...

Talk to Bshoe he's a member here, he started BBCRC and would probably have some super practical insights. I think Black Buttes secret is it's community oriented and is a 501C3 non-profit. This put's it in a relatively respectable place as it's partially open to the public but still serves the travel community in a communal punk rock/train bum kinda way..

• Useful

Hudson

Reaction score
Well I'm currently in the works of upgrading my house west of Spokane. After its fixed up I'm open to suggestions.

The main cost is property taxes about 800$ a year and the oil furnace for the horrible winters.

Not very large, 1,278 square feet but with a full basement.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads