Squattin / rebuild abandoned town in Spanish Pyrenees | Squat the Planet

Squattin / rebuild abandoned town in Spanish Pyrenees

Quetzal

Reaction score
Lookin for people who are interested to build a micro utopia in one of the abandoned towns of the pyrenees. Open to painters, craftsmen, militants, writers, philosophers, punks, musicians, story tellers, poets, dreamers, pirates & anyone who wants to help !

547CR2.jpg

586CR2.jpg

589CR2.jpg

Quetzal

Reaction score
whos there now?

Depends, there are a lot of little ghost towns in the pyrenees. Some are half occupied or still used as holiday homes, some are completely abandoned. Im now at the moment with a friend in south of France, were leaving wednesday to explore the mountains for a month in search for a town with acces to fresh water.

Reactions: EmmaJane

flashinglights

Reaction score
looks beautiful!

bicycle

Reaction score
sounds like a good plan! wish you all the best with it and maybe in a year or so the wind would blow me towards the south.

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I'm in southern spain now, if you scout something good, keep me updated, Im always up for helping. I know quite some people that have done/are doing this, and if you want some pointers, also let me know.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Daaaamn. That looks sweet. Keep us updated!

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
not all of em. They aren't so uncommon as in the states. There is even a lot of opportunities to squat castles, old churches... whatever. Some of the better condition ones have been restored and have caretakers, but these ones in the Pyrenees are so common that it isn't worth the time.

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
Also, if you are serious about this, consider taking a legal route once you have found one that is suitable, and buy it. A friend bought one last year for 6k, just a parcel of land. After exploring it all he house found 2 springs, a river, and 2 settlements (one has 4 houses and a barn, the other 6 houses). You probably wont face much legal trouble squatting it (there are legal loopholes allowing squatting in Spain), but this is a lifetime project, and you never know when things might change in the future.

Sen

Reaction score
If I can find a way to get there, I'm totally game. That whole passport thing has me tripped up at the moment.

Margarita

Sunset Follower
Reaction score
Wow! It looks so gorgeous! If you can find a clean, reliable source of water then you should be golden. :) If I were in Europe I would be heading for Spain as we speak... if you are serious about this then I'm sure you will still need help once I do make it across the Atlantic, and I would be thrilled to provide it. Keep us updated!

Blacknose

Reaction score
I'll be making my way south this week . Planning to hit up Tarrega festival on the way to Granada and have to be back for a gig around the 20th of Sept. but I'd be really interested in such a project! Been talking about just that with many friends many times and i think one of them is actually working on a village in spanish pyrenees right now !

Hope to hear from you!

Eviscerate

Reaction score
Why is there a one minute expiry date of the edit button?
Anyway
Cardboard can you expand on the whole buying a parcel of land for 6k? Where would you buy that from? 6k seems awfully cheap for something with a bunch of houses on it.
Also whats the climate like in the Pyrenees? what kind of stuff would grow there? i imagine the winter would be harsh as.
How far away from a city would these places be should we need to get some supplies from town or getting new people to join the place?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads