Squattin / rebuild abandoned town in Spanish Pyrenees

EmmaJane

Reaction score
How many people are really committed to this so far? Are you still looking for people to join?

I was going back to university for a year, but I could be there as soon as I have the money saved up to go (and some besides to chip in for supplies etc). This would literally be a dream come true..

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I have heard hundreds of people talking about this, and known VERY few to ever follow through. I wouldnt get your hopes up Emma Jane
@eviscerate- Its not that uncommon, and actually when he bought it, he didnt even know it had houses. I wouldnt call them houses so much, rather ruins (which are fucking everywhere in Europe), but in a state that they were reparable. I think you could easily find something similar, if you just searched for it a bit (even in the states). There is a lot of land that is so rough you cannot build there easily, and goes for near to nothing. look around in montana a bit, I know some people who have managed to buy 600 acres there, of undevelopable land, for really cheap. Some other friend were looking at property in Greece for 4.5k, I forget the size of the parcel, but also quite large.
In spain, on the south side of the pyrenees, its not so bad. If you are actually "in" the mountains, then yes, its gonna be harsh, but at lower altitudes on the south side expect temperate climate, mild winter. a lot of the untouched ones, you can expect at least a 40 km drive to supply. better to come out once in a while with a bus and large stocks of dry goods (and the first few years, you wont be sustainable, so I wouldnt think of wintering over untill you didnt have to leave for supplying. the roads arent that great out there. think late spring to early autumn, for at least 3 years, to prepare the land, and restore some of the buildings. Need people who can farm, and get some animals out there when you are finally going to stay. after 3 years prep, you might be able to have something up and running that you would only have to go to town once a year to supply, and hopefully can trade with you neighbors for what you dont grow (olives are everywhere, oil is a commodity...)

Reactions: japanarchist

EmmaJane

Reaction score
Thanks Cardboard. Over the years I have done a lot of research and put a lot of thought into the idea of establishing an alternative community, but the trouble is always going to be finding people who are actually committed to the idea.

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
Well, it's really not that hard EmmaJane. I feel like a ton of people are just waiting for the right people to arrive, or the right location. If you accept the fact that it can be temporary, and you can enjoy the experience, I say go for it. I have been active in the forming of several communities, in quite some different places, not many of them exist anymore. Sometimes though, a 3-5 year project is enough to enjoy your time, but not get burnt out. Honestly, I think it is when you really want to do this, and you eventually get so frustrated with everyone else and say, "Fuck it, I'll do it myself then!". that you are really on the right path. It is a strange phenomenon, that when you angrily stomp over, pick up the hammer and nails, and start building, the other finally join. Good luck to you, and when you are finally at that point, put a thread on here for us that says something less like "Who wants to build an alternative community?" (which is almost everyone), and more like "Here IS an alternative community!". See how they flock in. If you get serious at some point, drop me a pm, and I can recommend some nice zines, and maybe share some ideas with you about how communities work (ie what not to do, what to look out for, how to get started...).

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Nice necro, this cat's been mia since the day after this post almost half a year ago. Pretty place and all but I don't think much is coming of it, at least not through this thread.

Sen

Reaction score
Anyone know of any places in the states to do something like this?

Granted, the NSA will probably watch us with satellites and deem us a "terrorist training camp" or something, but whatever.

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
Anywhere Sen! I would recommend figuring out what sort of climate you can deal with, and whether you want it urban or rural, then start shopping around. I'm sure with the internet these days, its probably easy to find real estate companies selling "wasteland" to corporations and the rich. This is usually dirt cheap, undevelopable land, usually not in the best location, but for a community, could be perfect.
I honestly think for a long term project its a great idea to buy land (or even not for a project, owning land is never a bad thing), rather than squatting it. This will open up a lot of options for you, as well as protect you from a lot of troublems that could come up down the road.
For a lot of alternative folks, the cheapest options sound the worst (a lot of the midwest has dirt cheap land for example), but in my opinion, its better to challenge the local norms than to fall into an area that is full of progressive folk already. Spread the good word to those that haven't heard it already! Of course having a lot of local support is good to, so I guess its up to what you want to do.
Even Hawaii has a ton of cheap land, a friend bought some land there for 900/acre in 2006, though it is protected by the state from being developed. Damn, only green building, what a bad deal... ;)
and of course, there's always Slab City....

Sen

Reaction score
I've been thinking about Slab City, but I don't have the equipment to do that, and I'd need to find a steady income it seems.

When they're selling, say 250 acres for $40,000.. is that typically a package deal, or could you buy, say 10 acres? I don't have the cash to buy a huge plot, but I could chip in on a bigger project.

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
The land is usually sold in the size that they want to sell it. I guess its less hassle to find someone who wants to break it up into lots and sell it out to more people (if thats even possible with zoning laws in said area).
If you want really cheap land, consider heading south of the border, I have heard in some places in mexic land is going for 15-20$ and acre. It's desert, but if you can find a use for it why not...

Jawline

Reaction score
Check ebay for land aswell, my dad bought a couple hundred acres not too long ago in texas, arizona, and new mexico for less than 5k per lot. though I'm not sure what you could grow on that land, i'm no expert on botany

latcho drom

Reaction score
autonomy in food and energy is a serious issue...but with good organization many problems can be solved...i'm still learning on this...that's why i want to visit lakabe,it's an autonomous community also at the pyrenees to get some knowledge...this project needs lots of sacrificing and a number of people who are really into this...and of course,time...i'm in berlin at the moment but i'm really thinking of projects like these...keep updating and most probably i'll drop by and offer what i can in this project...just want to do some things more in the civilised society before taking the mountains!:)

Reactions: bicycle

fotorebelion

Reaction score
Website
labbs.et
hey man sounds cool i a live in squat in barcelona, but in the city :p always dreamed about squating a village, especially after this summer that i had been traveling around difrent countryside places.. are still on with this idea.. maybe i can go vist

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads