Squat Safety

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
It's really obvious that you should not shit where you sleep, but the same goes for eating. Food crumbs will attract rodents, and they will poop and do other things while you're gone. Treat left out food, especially if it is meat, like poop or animal carcasses- as in get rid of it.

If you'll be gone a while, put your sleeping bag/coldweatherclothing out of reach of mice, since they will sometimes try to make bedding from the material and shred it all to hell.

I would advise that you carry around your nice long underwear with you (not necessarily on you) because that stuff will get stolen if you have shitty people around and the temperature drops.

Also, if you're familiar with the smell of rotting meat that has been around so long that it's no longer rotting, that is the same smell as a place where someone has been dead a good while in. Maybe not a good place to be, even if you can stand the smell, which isn't all that horrid- sweet smelling almost- until you realize what it is.

Dmac

Reaction score
as said before, noise making booby traps / warning devices. something as simple as a bunch of gravel on concrete can warn you of someone coming before they get there. cans on a string at night or just the bottle/can on a door knob trick. those string pull firecrackers are great if you can get them!

FLoP

Reaction score
I always enter a squat as if someone else may already be in there. I try to keep a dark room or at least facing away from people. There is usually broken glass somewhere, put that by the door to be stepped on and heard. Maybe a beer bottle on a doorknob. Weapon at hand. I investigate every noise that bothers me enough to think about it. I'm really anal about being too loud and bright lights at night. I don't let everyone come back to my place. Some people just shouldn't sleep around others you know. Some people ARE crazy. I try to find out a good time to get in and out without being seen. and please use common sense for fucks sake.

railroadron

Reaction score
Like something out of escape from New york! Fuck that, when squatting becomes that dangerous or haphazrd..ie sleeping with respirators or settin booby traps and landmines and sleeping with knives and shit..well i d just have to do a shit load of meth and limit my NOLA exp by gettin the hell out when it was time to land.LOL:p

urbanflow

Reaction score
the more i read about squatting experiences, the less i care about finding a squat.

DonnyDerelict

Reaction score
Also on the topic of doodoo, the liquid you use to flush a turd with in a toilet doesn't have to be water. When you gotta piss, you can take the lid off and piss in the tank so it'll be ready to flush when you eventually have to shit.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads