Solo Female Hitching Den-SF | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Solo Female Hitching Den-SF

TheWindAndRain

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I've always found that double standard odd... This assumption that men are just inherently safe from assault or random murder,

Literally no one said that except you. Then you go on and on with your fantasy arguing against a strawman. Can you even refute anything ive actually said? Youre making things up now. Get back in reality @iflewoverthecuckoosnest if you want to have a conversation.

iflewoverthecuckoosnest

Reaction score
Literally no one said that except you. Then you go on and on with your fantasy arguing against a strawman. Can you even refute anything ive actually said? Youre making things up now. Get back in reality @iflewoverthecuckoosnest if you want to have a conversation.

I was not addressing you, but a cultural attitude that encourages women to be afraid to go out on their own. But hey, I'm done here. This thread is veering way off topic. If the OP wants to speak for herself she will. My main point is just that she should be able to make her own choice without being fear mongered or scolded. Internet fights don't go anywhere so I am done.

Shwillam

Previously NotSoSirius
Banned
Reaction score
591-599 MacArthur Blvd, Oakland, CA 94610, USA
Yeah im going to stop derailing this thread, ill start one about how ridiculously double standard @TheWindAndRain view is and how wrong anyone who agrees with him when @Dragononn is done using the laptop cause i have quite a bit to say on this subject.

I will not respond on this thread any longer however, sorry to the OP. Stay strong girl! Youre just as able as any dude to do this on your own. But being green, as either gender, and trying to do it alone has gotten people hurt. It sure did for me. Both because of creeps trying to get me to suck their dick amd because of my own ignorance on even the basics on how to camp safely. Hell, ive found bears to be way more of a concern than anything else. Sorry your thread got hijacked by a sexist moron and people that cant stand to see that shit spread anymore. Good luck kid!

salxtina

Reaction score
Best luck, Molly Rose!
I was slightly older when I started hitching around the country, and wasn't prepared for the level of concern-trolling I ran into, so I'd tell you what I didn't realize at first - ie, if you ask people if you think X spot is a good place to find a ride east/west X far, and they go, "no no this is a really bad spot," - it's not that you're actually in a bad place, they'd just say that about anywhere.

Most were people who'd never lived on the road themselves, and the people who were former travelers themselves generally were a lot more understanding / easier to strike up a rapport with.

But a few times, I had people who seemed worried for me because they themselves ran into trouble back when they were doing what I was doing.
Once recently a man told me that he'd thumbed his way through different countries years ago, and had done mostly okay, but had a few jarring experiences with people threatening and propositioning him once he was in their cars. And it was shocking and he wouldn't want me to run into anything like that!

I understood his good intent, but only a man could be so shocked! Only a man could be so unprepared, because he has no experience confronting that kind of violence in the supermarket, the bar, the downtown street at night, the downtown street in broad daylight, the workplace, the home, the Greyhound bus. But the rest of us?
We know a bit better.
(I did have to physically fight a guy the last time I was riding a greyhound, fwiw.)

With people like that, they're basically sympathetic and benign.
Other times you get people who are real determined to prove something to you, who fixate on telling you that you can't actually be okay in your situation, no matter what you say. Although I've never run into the kind of acute danger some other travelers have, there *is* a real cumulative harm that comes from dozens of people ranting at you about your imminent murder. These good concerned people who want to warn me about the Bad People have been my biggest source of aggrivation and burnout on the road.

So I don't like to get into contrived or scripted communication, but I've found it's kind of important to practice standard responses to have ready for deflecting and shutting down BS from people on power trips about that stuff, ie,
What makes you think that's an appropriate question to ask a stranger?
You don't need to worry about that.
You don't need to concern yourself with that.
(re: are you running into violence/harassment from other drivers?)
Dirty talk is five dollars a minute.
(cautionary note: sometimes people actually give you money. spend the minutes describing encounters with evangelical christians in excruciating detail.)
(re: are you armed?)
As long as you keep being respectful, that won't be an issue.
I haven't had to hurt anyone yet.
(re: be careful)
You too.
No thank you.

TheWindAndRain

Banned
Reaction score
"re: are you armed?)
As long as you keep being respectful, that won't be an issue.
I haven't had to hurt anyone yet."

So because youve been lucky, it will never be an issue for anyone else? Its okay to take risks, but you should own up to the fact that thats what youre doing rather than mislead greenhorns.

Last edited:

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
Reading comprehension honey? Can you be more condescending?

She certainly wouldn't beat your earlier post in terms of being condescending, that's for sure..

TheWindAndRain

Banned
Reaction score
Women are obviously at greater risk of assault while hitchhiking and homeless. There is nothing sexist about that fact. To suggest that men face the same level of risk is insensitive and ignorant to the additional challenges women face in this regard.

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
@Aussie Timm and @TheWindAndRain, this is an introduction thread from 2017. If you want to have this argument, you can take it to private messages or a new thread.

That said, I don't see any point in two dudes continuing to argue about this when many women have already chimed in with stories from their own lived experiences that are more valid, useful, and level-headed than two dudes calling each other names.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads