Socal couple advice

Clyde Supertramp

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I are trying to get out of here , I will be working until July 20 and I will have about 3000$ saved. Any advice? Thinking about buying a car for less than 2000 and really trying to stay somewhere in the wilderness. We are comfortable with living in a tent but have had ideas of eventually building a small house somewhere. The land aspect is an issue. If anybody has or knows of somebody that is willing to share a portion of there land we are planning on starting a small sustainable environment to live or life naturally. Thanks :)

Reactions: Kal

Multifaceted

Reaction score
Check out the rubber tramping forum! It'll give you an idea of how it is traveling with a vehicle on a low to nothing budget.

Welcome to the site! :)

D

Deleted member 20

Buy a high top conversion van or school bus just in case. It can act as a a mobile home until you build/buy or find someones land to build on. Im also not sure, are you guys from SOCAL or looking to move to SOCAL?

Perhaps its a good idea to join others who are already more established, have land etc. visit www.ic.org It may be hard to convince any landowners to build permanent structures but it all depends. Perhaps you guys can stay in your vehicle tents or a hexayurt first while you work to build something else or improve the land and grow crops etc.

There are obviously tiny houses on trailer frames, traditional yurts and other low impact shelters out there depending on your budget from $3k on up but they can be moved. I think if you were to get some land say from a government auction you would get a lot of bang for ya buck.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?...on=ad&timing=BySimple&timingType=&category=84

http://www.resales.usda.gov/resales/index.jsp

https://www.treasury.gov/auctions/irs/

http://listings.vrmco.com/

Last edited:

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Yes. Also, invest some of your savings with Ameritrade or something similar. The world is going through changes right now...almost...childbirth of a sort. It would pay to monitor world currencies and commodities and do a little statistical analysis.

D

Deleted member 20

"The time to buy is when there's blood in the streets".

Since you guys have already saved up $3k dont sell yourselves short. There are houses and land selling for under $10k I do not believe in the cycle working to pay a mortgage but if you can save enough cash. Then you will have the ability to acquire small parcels of unimproved land for offgrid wilderness homesteading or be able to buy a cheap house somewhere.

Most of us users here cant seem to rub two nickels together so saving $3k is a big deal. I think the actual owning of real property isnt entering into some 30 year mortgage with a bank). But really owning it, not like most of our debt ridden so called "homeowners", lol.

Last edited:

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, i tend to agree with the Highwayman. Investing in real estate is probably the smartest decision youll ever make. Due diligence. Research, talk to realtors offline, and casually. The best land is bought directly from ranchers and farmers who may sell you unimproved acreage for a dollar per sq. meter.

Reactions: Multifaceted
D

Deleted member 20

I would try to eliminate realtors completely by searching craigslist for listings that are FSBO. If you win an auction you you will need more legal help.

Again, depending on where will dictate what your options are. Some smallplaces where I am in the Northeast are owned as seasonal camps for hinting/fishing but can be perfect offgrid starters homes. Many arent that expensive and guys will buy and sell them thinking that they will use them more but ususally have jobs/familes and dont. I see people trading properties for harleys and hotrods on CL all the time.

D

Deleted member 20

Now if you guys can link up with others who share similar visions than your $3k seed money combined with others land or investments you have a recipe for success.

With the tiny house movement and a resurgence in homesteading, mainstream society is becoming more receptive to creative living situations. Who knows maybe there are others here on STP or on craigslist that you can connect with to make something work.

K

Kim Chee

$3000 will buy at least a gallon of the best lube known to man.

Sell your ass, turn it into $50k and you won't feel a thing (I bet;)).

If you're shy, I'll be your pimp:cool:+::fuckinginbed::=::greedy::

All kidding aside:

$3k is enough to put in a pile with another person's $1k and another person's $5k and another person's (you get the idea).

A couple ballin' kids should be able to get something better than 5 separate Oil drooling, gas guzzling rust buckets.

• Haha
Reactions: Mankini

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
OK..

what do you want to do?

how did you save 3k?

can you do it again?

you have each other, right?
go have a fucking adventure, unless yer ready to settle.

fuck.. maybe StP should put out a call: "anyone who wants to squat, throw your money here!", because this place has true hardcores.

be fucking carefull..

dig:2004, trying to start a business venture that would fund an alternative coffeehouse & technical educationj venue, while establishing anarchist housing..

$20,000 dolars, minimum, down the fucking tubes.. maybe even as much as $35k..

2008. more cash thrown at dreams.. die, motherfucker, die..

2010, *another* 20 fucking grand thrown at fucking pipe dreams, believing in traveler's communal bulllshit.

2014, enter StP..

at least we get a fucking jambo set up for 2015 & this year, too..

i have 2.5 fucking acres outside of Delano, CA (about 20 miles east) i am willing to throw down.

i don't fucking bullshit.

we just fucking bleed.

there's slingshot, maine, pittsburgh..

& no fucking utopia..

3k takes skills.. wtf do you do or know or have the discipline for that allowed you to save 3k at your age?

love?

i vote for an StP communal environment..
there's been stuff posted about headquarters, but i'm not throwing down anything too fucking hardcore, unless i know i have a double walled cardboard box to crawl into, without harassment, come winter.

i may have a line on a serious fucking farm in southern virginia (part of the 2010 meltdown), that is ours for the taking, *legally*... 84 fucking acres, in fucking no place..

so l.ong as we are willing to work to make the place better...
it has a beautifull, natural, highflow stream, pear trees & some other stuff, but requires a *hell* of a lot of input..

anyways.. there's stuff in maine & lots of places, but..

not enough people who know...

places need input.. just a little bit above & beyond the call of the taxman..

travelers come & go.. what is needed?
work so that the garden can keep the folks who keep the place open from starving?

$2 a night, or $3?

throw you tent, use the stream, no profit taken, except what it takes to protect it?

i put a fucking lot into that place.. the corpse of my bus is there..

take your 3k & go to fucking austrailia..

or my land in delano.. i will give it to fucking matt, if he can do something with it.

stay the *fuck* away from the 84 acres of land in virginia, unless we can get about 12 of the hardest core motherfuckers of us situated & willing to burn most of our lives upon it for the next decade or two..

if we can get 30 of us, willing to work, we will have a home for fucking ever, perhaps.. but.. i digress & rant..

we need folks who can jump trains, hitch thousands of miles, bike like all hell is trying to devour them & hate everything that keeps them from being free..

if they can do that shit & *still* be friendly, honest & kind, without the sketchiness of calculative promising, then they have what it takes to make a home..

my dream was to teach.. to teach enough that something could be returned, so that whomever traveled would always have a place to be, so long as they traveled fairly & constructively..

& the beautifull thing is that the ass of anyone who is serious about shit like this, who is on this site, actually has, to one extent or another, their ass on the line, hoping it is more than just bragging rights & a hobby..

when electricity goes, my friends, what do we fucking have?

anyways....

if you 2 love each other?

adventure, *now* & fuck communal idealism..

get your asses out & about..

anyways..

food luck, & peace,

c

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads