sober travellers roll call | Page 3 | Squat the Planet

sober travellers roll call

D

Deleted member 20

Sober since 3/1/14. I got sober while out traveling and following my favorite band, down in ATX, then NOLA, Birmingham etc during Mardi Gras. I had the gift of desperation & was willing to completely surrender anything & everything of my former self. I have been completely sober since and a proud member of AA! Since getting the clarity from my sobriety I have since prioritized & simplified my life many times. the relaity is that by getting sober my life has been expanding and I must constantly prioritize that which is truly important, today. Many aspects of my former identity have been discarded, matured & or evolved into who I am today. So in a nut shell I work more, have more friendships, while remaining emotionally accountable & available to my family. I travel less and unsure if this was a byproduct of sobriety or just a natural aging into my forties. It does seem that my life has taken on a larger collection of things that I am now responsible for. My life has expanded so much that to travel wherever & whenever would jeopardize that which I have been blessed with since. My emotional sobriety and growth from recovery spill out into many areas of my life. I am joyous & seek very little today. I appreciate what I have & suggest that anyone who is desperate enough to completely surrender themselves to be earnest & thorough in your pursuit of sobriety. Many will learn of underlying root causes that caused their alcoholism & addiction. Its a tough road to travel when one must get 100% honest with themselves about who they are, how they live & what company they keep. I do not avoid alcohol but I do not hang out with drunks anymore. I usually have a sober purpose for being/going anywhere. Sure, my pack is still packed but it gets used less frequently. If I hop trains or hitch i attend meetings & hang with others in recovery. Its so much more than simply not drinking alcohol for me today. I had to totally rebuild myself out of the remnants of my past. The house cleaning continues and there is always so much to learn.

Wanderingwolf5150

Reaction score
so ive seen some other posts about folks in recovery travelling, but i thought itd be neat to have a thread where sober folks can just check in and meet each other, connect and give us an idea of how many of us there are. isolation is such a huge part of addiction for me so even just having a reminder that were not slone thst we can look at maybe will be helpful to somebody.

maybe we can just say our names, if were currently travelling, location/direction, if were currently sober or trying toget sober (if you want), a little about stuff you do for your recovery on the road and anything else you wanna share.

note: this thread is not intended to be a discussion of various fellowships, debates on what sobriety means or how other people should be sober or anything like that. strictly a check in, roll call, chance to meet and see each other kinda deal.
also this thread is intended for recovering addicts and alcoholics only (regardless of if you are currently using/drinking), not for straight edge people or people who do not struggle with addiction (meaning you have an uncontrollable or unpredictable response to drugs and/or alcohol and cannot stop/stay stopped when you want to).
if you think you might have a problem with drugs or alcohol or are not sure, youre definitely welcome.

edit:: also a disclaimer - this thread being in the staying healthy section in no way means that using means youre unhealthy, that there is validity to the clean/dirty dichotomy, or anything like that. we decide what healthy means for us and what wellness means for us. using doesnt mean you have to/should want to stop using. but if you do want to, hopefully this thread can show you that you can stop and put you in touch with other people who have. find those who "have whst you want"

D

Deleted member 24782

Sober since 3/1/14. I got sober while out traveling and following my favorite band, down in ATX, then NOLA, Birmingham etc during Mardi Gras. I had the gift of desperation & was willing to completely surrender anything & everything of my former self. I have been completely sober since and a proud member of AA! Since getting the clarity from my sobriety I have since prioritized & simplified my life many times. the relaity is that by getting sober my life has been expanding and I must constantly prioritize that which is truly important, today. Many aspects of my former identity have been discarded, matured & or evolved into who I am today. So in a nut shell I work more, have more friendships, while remaining emotionally accountable & available to my family. I travel less and unsure if this was a byproduct of sobriety or just a natural aging into my forties. It does seem that my life has taken on a larger collection of things that I am now responsible for. My life has expanded so much that to travel wherever & whenever would jeopardize that which I have been blessed with since. My emotional sobriety and growth from recovery spill out into many areas of my life. I am joyous & seek very little today. I appreciate what I have & suggest that anyone who is desperate enough to completely surrender themselves to be earnest & thorough in your pursuit of sobriety. Many will learn of underlying root causes that caused their alcoholism & addiction. Its a tough road to travel when one must get 100% honest with themselves about who they are, how they live & what company they keep. I do not avoid alcohol but I do not hang out with drunks anymore. I usually have a sober purpose for being/going anywhere. Sure, my pack is still packed but it gets used less frequently. If I hop trains or hitch i attend meetings & hang with others in recovery. Its so much more than simply not drinking alcohol for me today. I had to totally rebuild myself out of the remnants of my past. The house cleaning continues and there is always so much to learn.

Well said thank you for sharing!!!!!!

• Agree
Reactions: Juan Derlust

Stiv Rhodes

Reaction score
My name's Stix and I'm an addict. I was in NA for a year for meth. Stayed off it for years after I stopped going to meetings but relapsed last year. Been off it 5 months now. I was never a big drinker but I was drinking kind off often when I first kicked shards. I stopped that a couple weeks ago. I still smoke pot a bit but I'm thinking of giving that up too and going back to the program. Thank you for all your shares.

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
My name's John I've been off alcohol 5 years this month. My only problem now is cigs, caffeine, and weed. Never been into hard drugs or pharma. Really into looking into moving to a more positive geographic location as I feel like everyone here judges me as a drug addict because of everyone being generally addicted and unsupportive. Anywho glad to see a good number of sobriety focused folks on here nowadays. Happy holidays n cheers!😊🥳

• Love It
Reactions: roughdraft
D

Deleted member 24782

As of Dec. 1st I'm sober. Planning on not drinking all of 2020. Made a total fool of myself at my wifes last country show, ended up driving drunk, being super wreckless, buying pizza for the whole bar, and quite possibly performing the worst version of Freddie Mercurys "Bohemian Rhapsody" on karaoke.

Barf

Staff member
Reaction score
Good luck to yah man.

I'm glad you didn't kill yourself or anyone else.

Remember, one day at a time.

I have nothing but respect for people who are able to pull off the sober/recovery/what the fuck ever thing.

• Agree
Reactions: Juan Derlust

Bent123

Reaction score
@scutellaria high fives for carrying narcan. I could go on for days about how that shit should be in everyone's pack regardless if you use or not.

Big fucking high fives to anyone who's sober or struggling to be sober!
Yes narcan is so important.I agree everyone should carry it. I have lost way too many friends to overdoses. Be smart don't use alone have a buddy system and make sure you have narcan. I know here in Oregon you don't need a prescription you can just ask the pharmacist. Also there are tons of resources a google away. I try to always make sure I have it traveling.

• Love It
Reactions: CouchPunx and Barf
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Sup ! 8 months here a new personal record in my adult life, somewhat isolated living in a wilderness area east of the Green Swamp central Florida. Tried having an old drinkin buddy stay with me to help him kick and it did not go well had to boot him sadly but I'd much rather be alone than suffer from someone else's addiction via osmosis!

Got into this site coming having never hopped trains but find myself restless thinking about embarking on such an adventure but know I'm not in a strong enough position to do so and remain steadfast in my sober journey. Will reevaluate down the road things sure have gotten better...

• Best of Luck!
Reactions: Barf and CouchPunx

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads