so im curious.

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score
there's nothing wrong with telling people to google it. it serious IS the first thing that comes up in google. people need to stop being so spoon fed and learn to do a little research. that's how i came to live in slab city, by doing my own research before there was an awesome forum i could go to that would answer everything for me.

sorry to sound like a dick, im trying to quit smoking. :p

yeah, i wasn't trying to sound like a dick either, but seriously... people shouldn't get butt-hurt from probably one of the most helpful websites on the internet. whenever there's something i don't know or want to find out, i GOOGLE IT. sure you could just ask people, but they're the ones who would have to type it all out or look it up for you and then fucking paste it in this thread....so if i or they or anyone else can do it, can't you?

Reactions: EphemeralStick

menu

Reaction score
haha. argue away peoples. where you at these days caitlin? you remember bryce?

E

Earth

I remember when I found out that Hilly Krystal was dead (as I had long since left NYC and the whole early 80s NYHC scene behind) when I was one the phone with an old friend who felt I ought to know (since CBs was a huge part of my life) and when I asked him what happened, his reply was to google it. Yeah, ok (and this is an old friend too) so, more recently - when I found out his mom died, I wasted no time in forgetting who he was. Paybacks a bitch..................

Besides, if I recall correctly - I couldn't - because I did not have a computer.
(*incredible the amount of homeless kids / etc... that are always on-line, that is definately not the case with the squaters / rabble out here....)

But, funny that this question aboutr Slab City is being asked - and prior to yesterdays article in the L.A. Times, I knew nothing about it either except that it seemed to be some sort of Mecca out in the south west or something.....

There is at least one thread here with loads of info and good pictures regarding Slab City though, in fact, I'm gonna poke around a little bit and see if I can find it - because it's probably more accurate than that article which ran yesterday (which I only state because I view all mainstream media as poison).

I actually thought it was a valid question and I was curious as to what the answers were going to be but after seeing where this went, I guess its better for folks not to ask, which leads to no longer questioning, which is exactly what the Nazi's did in my country many many years ago. We don't forget stuff like that, even if it's something which occured long before we were around BUT we don't like repeating history either, something mainstream America loves for some weird reason....

Besides, word of mouth is more accurate than anything thats on a straight mainstream website :)

panik

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
yeah it's weird to me that it's such a big deal too...I haven't been, but have been in the area a few times. I never went because every time I looked it up or talked to people about it I couldn't get what the big deal was. I still don't really understand, but I guess since so many people are all about it it's gotta be worth checking out. (I was also really bad off on booze and didn't know how we'd go about making money and whatnot in the middle of nowhere.)

I think that area of the country is where I'd be right now if I wasn't trying to take a break from the road for awhile...now that I'm not physically dependent on alcohol I would totally go there just to see what the commotion is about.

Alaska

Reaction score
I don't know if any of you guys have been to Trapper Creek or around Goldstream in the AK, but it seems very similar. Slab City seems more mad max-y than our "asatru-centric" pantheistic tendencies, though, for probably obvious reasons.

Definitely gonna check it out next time I'm in the area.

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Fuck people who say "google" when people ask questions. Seriously. Y'all probably wouldn't think this guy was a dumbass if one of you took two minutes out of your super-important lives to explain what Slab City is.
Fuck people who can't show a bit of independence and use two minutes of their own precious lives instead of asking someone else to do it for them. If you have exhausted your resources, and still need help, go for it. If you are sitting there with a case of beer and dad's credit card in your wallet, spanging off of other folks on the street, shove it up your ass.
Honestly, I would never tell someone to google it if they were asking me a question in person, away from a computer, but when you are already on the computer, and all the fucking answers in the world are sitting at your finger tips, but you still have to ask someone else the simplest of questions... fuck.

dolittle

Reaction score
Two modern phrases I hate most..."Find it on line." & "Google it." Has anyone stop to think how many incomes will be lost when everything is bought "On Line"?? Also, I "Google" when I'm NOT in the mood for conversation. If I ASK A QUESTION, its probably couse I want to talk to REAL HUMANS. Mabe even have a descushion about something. Not becouse I'm to lazy to look it up. Googleing is all well & good, in as far as it goes. But its Damm difficult to descus something when there is no reply button.

dolittle

Reaction score
As for Slab City... I use to be fassanated with the place. To the point of thinking it was Mystical, even. Not so much any more. Having read the post on here, supposetly by people who live there. I no longer have any desire what so ever to see the place. From what I've read about the place on STP, The people at Slab City are just a bunch of hateful, mean, self absorbed, snobby, butt licks. I have seen Shambala. Slab City is NOT it. Or, at least not acording to what I've read about it on this website.

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
Two modern phrases I hate most..."Find it on line." & "Google it." Has anyone stop to think how many incomes will be lost when everything is bought "On Line"?? Also, I "Google" when I'm NOT in the mood for conversation. If I ASK A QUESTION, its probably couse I want to talk to REAL HUMANS. Mabe even have a descushion about something. Not becouse I'm to lazy to look it up. Googleing is all well & good, in as far as it goes. But its Damm difficult to descus something when there is no reply button.
I agree with you somehow dolittle, but there is a critical flaw in what you are saying. When you are online already, you are not having a conversation with real humans. You are staring at a fucking computer. If you want to talk to real humans, probably best to quit talking to a fucking computer. If you are already online, and want to have a conversation, maybe try to find a better way to start it than asking a question that has been asked/answered 150+ times on these forums (search for slab city...), or at least taking it to the chatbox.
And fine, don't google it, but "look it up", or, "research it" (is that better?). Like whatever mod warned HC in the beginning, if you ask a stupid question, you'll get a stupid answer. And if you complain about that stupid answer, you'll create a long stupid thread where people argue bullshit for days. On computers.

dolittle

Reaction score
Talking to someone, either in person, on the phone, in a letter, or on the computer, is still talking to SOMEONE. Reading someone elts research, while interesting & informative perhaps, is not talking to that person. And let's not 4get all the fales info floating around out there. STP is basically a bunch of people sharing parts of their life. A billion years ago, b4 dino's, cavemen, & Google, people did this by having conversations. But hey, what do I know, right? So ya'll go ahead. Call your selves rebells, anarchest, or what ever the new cool word of the day is. I suppose one could Google that word, but then one might be dangerously close to conforming to modern civel structure.
Oh, as for reading older post on a subject, it's a GREAT idea. But there is this... My internet also comes through my phone. Wich is handy as all hell.... when I have good signle. I have spent the last several months reading old post. Which have indused me to ask dumb questions.

scatwomb

Reaction score
No matter what STP is, or what I feel it's supposed to be, I would rather have a human answer my question than a search engine. Sure, you can find information through google - it's awesome and I use it all the fucking time. But, the difference between google and a forum is that you can actually have a dialogue with people on a forum. Someone could ask "What is Slab City?" and that could lead to members talking about personal experiences at Slab City and/or certain projects/social experiments STP members are working on there. And, those questions lead to social connections that could turn into collaboration, friendship or just a good dialogue.

That's why I don't like assholes who say "Google it."

scatwomb

Reaction score
I do think, however, that you can find dialogues like that by searching the STP forums, rather than starting a new thread dedicated to a question that has been asked/answered a million times before.

So yeah, search that on STP before asking about it, for sure.

And, I do think there is a fundamental difference between searching on STP and searching on google. One is a dynamic dialogue and the other is either a static information site or a heavily edited wikipedia page with no personal stories.

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
I do think, however, that you can find dialogues like that by searching the STP forums, rather than starting a new thread dedicated to a question that has been asked/answered a million times before.
So yeah, search that on STP before asking about it, for sure.
And, I do think there is a fundamental difference between searching on STP and searching on google. One is a dynamic dialogue and the other is either a static information site or a heavily edited wikipedia page with no personal stories.
It's all made up of things that people have put in to begin with though. and for sure, searching on google for relevant topics to STP, you will find a lot of STP threads. You will find other forums, as well as the "official" slab city website, made up by people who are a lot more connected to the slabs than anyone on here.
Google doesnt really discriminate on the information being dynamic or static, and google analytics is based on the amount of hits that information source gets (IE more hits=more popular knowledge=closer to first results returned...)
Maybe the way the question is presented would make a big difference. When you are on here and ask a straight forward question, such as, "What is Slab City?", maybe you are implying something else, but it comes across to me as searching for more practical knowledge than personal experience. If someone asked "What is your experience with slab city? What do you like about Slab City" I think the answers would be a lot different.
I dont mean to be so technocratic, but its not really a debate of semantics. When you are making a thread searching for particular information, please, google it first. I'm not going to make a thread asking someone for the current weather in Omaha, or how much an Ipod costs... I will google it. (look it up, research it... probably using google.). If I want to know How people feel about wintering over in Omaha, or if an Ipod is worth the cost, I personally will probably do a bit of research as well, but to mix in the human elelment, sure, I could ask people on STP, who I can assume might have a different opinion than popular knowledge.
I get what y'all are saying, in wanting a personal perspective on things, but some things are not personal perspectives, they are a matter of common knowledge, and I think it's shitty to expect someone else to take their time to give you the answer to something you could find on your own. I am actually the only one in this thread so far, who actually took the time to answer the fucking question, Y'all have some experience with the slabs? wanna post it here instead of just trolling?

Reactions: dharma bum

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
No matter what STP is, or what I feel it's supposed to be, I would rather have a human answer my question than a search engine. Sure, you can find information through google - it's awesome and I use it all the fucking time. But, the difference between google and a forum is that you can actually have a dialogue with people on a forum. Someone could ask "What is Slab City?" and that could lead to members talking about personal experiences at Slab City and/or certain projects/social experiments STP members are working on there. And, those questions lead to social connections that could turn into collaboration, friendship or just a good dialogue.

That's why I don't like assholes who say "Google it."

okay, in that sense, i totally understand what you're saying. i guess some things just don't translate well on the internet.

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
PS; proposal to change this thread to the "Google it debate thread", or lock it. It has hardly anything to do with the OP.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads