SMARTPHONE aka your best friend | Squat the Planet

SMARTPHONE aka your best friend

BadBoBo

Reaction score
These things are great. You can see you friend across the world (Skype), Find a job or a gig for a few days with or even a place to sleep. You can check your email, look up your route, find a good camping spot or place to sleep with a birdseye view(google maps), Find free shit on LetGo or Craigslist. Listen to music,Audiobooks or podcast.

That being said there insanely fragile. So get a otter box or a lifeproof case. If you are really serious or unlucky keep it in a zip lock plastic bag.

The TextFree app allows you to make calls or text whenever you have access to wifi. You just make a account and you are good. After that just keep clicking the more minutes button when you are waiting for your stuff to recharge or just having a coffee at the dunks to keep out of the weather. You can turn the sound all the way down so when it plays adds so you don't have to listen. You can just read your book and click away after each one. Then use those minutes to talk to mom or whoever. And save the flip phone for when you NEED it.

Spare cables are a must. And can help when you are spending the night at a friends house and want to "borrow" Some audiobooks for the road.

This little bastard charges your phone fast along with your back up battery pack. Or if you do not have a battery back up you can offer the extra USB to the cute person biting their lip looking for a open outlet. ;)

I would post a link to the power pack I used but I do not think it is made anymore. iTorch 5200mAh Ultra Portable USB. This thing could bring a dead phone up to full and had a flashlight and a laser pointer in it. (stupid I know but I used to use the laser pointer to entertain stray cats).

I would love to recommend a good solar charger that was rugged, But I have yet to find one that will bring your phone past 20% is rugged and not weighing a ton.

Anyone have a prefered method of charging their phone? What about your favorite app?

I honestly hate most of technology but a smartphone is so handy. I don't even pay for a phone bill. Just use that wifi.. Like you mentioned, so many free apps to get a phone number. Personally I prefer 'textnow'

When I had a windows phone there was a map app I used that I didn't need wifi/data for.

My phone battery lasts pretty damn long since I don't use it much.. A solar charger is always handy though.

ntdxc1878

Reaction score
If you have a phone with a battery, you can get an extended battery that will make your phone last something like 5x longer. They're a bit pricey, but if your phone supports it your phone can last a whole week without having to charge.

BadBoBo

Reaction score
If you have a phone with a battery, you can get an extended battery that will make your phone last something like 5x longer. They're a bit pricey, but if your phone supports it your phone can last a whole week without having to charge.

Yeah I'd prefer the battery pack from walmart to that. Its rugged as hell and has two usb ports for sharing a charge. That being said...It was only 20 bucks on sale. Not sure if it is waterproof but it is definitely resistant.

Jimmylulz

Reaction score
Oi fella!
Do you have a good references for a smartphone ? I mean good battery, resistance and that i dont need to sell my lunges for it ?
Bonus if there is no gps on it in fact, I hate those but I assume it doesn't exist w/o it.

ntdxc1878

Reaction score
Oi fella!
Do you have a good references for a smartphone ? I mean good battery, resistance and that i dont need to sell my lunges for it ?
Bonus if there is no gps on it in fact, I hate those but I assume it doesn't exist w/o it.
Just look up recommendations on the internet man, there are thousands of articles with exactly the kind of info youre looking for.

As for GPS, literally every smartphone will come with one, but you have the option to turn your location off and more or less disable it.

BadBoBo

Reaction score
Oi fella!

Honestly your best bet is to get a smartphone from wal-marts tracfone selection. Then get a otter box for it. (note the otter box may cost more then the phone) If you want new. If you want used.... Craigslist hell sometimes people give them away. The only issue is finding a otter box for it if it is older.

I know a buncha people say how great their phone is and how tough blah blah blah. But if it's a smart phone it's more fragile than a teenage boys ego.

That being said. If you keep EVERYTHING off on it, Bluetooth,wifi gps,nfc, (or just put it in airplane mode)and keep the screen brightness down. It will last awhile. If you really need more battery you can buy a different one for it on amazon. I did this with my note 3...back in the day when you could remove the battery.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14481

I'm a wall changer type. My phone can rest while I do, in a cafe or library.
My favorite apps: When phone service is off, Google Voice. With phone service, Google Maps. Regardless of service, Google Plus. A lot more of my interests and a lot less drama than Facebook.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads