Sleeping bag/bedroll vs Hammock/Tarp | Squat the Planet

Sleeping bag/bedroll vs Hammock/Tarp

Everymanalion

Reaction score
So i hate the idea of having to bring a sleeping bag and a bedroll, dont know why but i hate them with all my heart, ive looking into buying a tiny portable hammock, bringing a string to put above my when im in the hammock perpendicular(i think thats the word) over the top of the hammock and hang a tarp over it for rain protection, will fill smaller in your bag(i found a hammock that folds into 4 inches by 4 inches and yea, any opinions? ideas? anyone do this? thanks:)

Reactions: West

Thoreau

Reaction score
Website
zinelibrary.info
ive slept on hammocks and sometimes it can be unconfortable, but i guess if your really tired that will do. Never slept with a sleeping bag on top of the hammock though, i guess it should work.
Is it the one with holes or fully covered? holes may be weird.
you should sometimes sleep on the ground, plain hard cement if you can xd

machzorton

Has yet to join the board
Reaction score
ive been thinking about getting a hammock aswell, i sleep with a sleeping bag and wrap myself in a tarp when i think it might rain

Everymanalion

Reaction score
Yea i tried out a system like this before when i went camping once and want to use it on a trip to central/south america where i hang the hammock between two trees(obviously) then right above it a few feet up i hang a string then i throw the tarp over the string so it drapes down over the hammock incase of rain, the only thing i dont know what id do is put my bag to keep dry, maybe i can just sleep with it with me, i hate bringing a huge cumbersome sleeping bag, id rather just layer up in thermals and as long as i stay dry under the tarp im fine.

smellsea

Reaction score
hm, sounds like you need a one person tent. i hate using a hammock, it makes my back hurt after a day or so. if you do use the hammock, invest in bug spray. with a sleeping bag you can kinda keep your head under and keep them out, without it they will be biting your face up.
honestly when it rains, and i'm under a tarp it gives me such horrible anxiety that i am going to get wet i can't even sleep, i just find a bridge. i've never been to central america so i guess trying to find cover there is really different. i just hate having a tarp, everything about it, if it's nice enough to the point that water wont seep threw after a while, it's probably gonna weigh just as much as your big sleeping bag.
maybe you should check out bivy sacks.

Reactions: Everymanalion

Teko

rooted
StP Supporter
Reaction score
pixel.gif
i have a double nest eno with a bug net, and straps. my tarp weighs less than 11 ounces and hasnt failed me yet. keeps you dry and off the ground. plus where you cant fit a tent you can fit a hammock, granted you've got rope.
pixel.gif
pixel.gif
pixel.gif

Psyop

Reaction score
I love my hammock. The back pain problem is easy to solve, you need to lay flat in the hammock instead of like a banana. Its a matter of playing with the slack and try to lay a bit crossways. In the bitter cold you need insulation under you to stay warm, but it is still a light comfy easy to set up system. Sometimes I just sleep on the ground but I will never go back to a tent.

Reactions: Teko

Teko

rooted
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I love my hammock. The back pain problem is easy to solve, you need to lay flat in the hammock instead of like a banana. Its a matter of playing with the slack and try to lay a bit crossways. In the bitter cold you need insulation under you to stay warm, but it is still a light comfy easy to set up system. Sometimes I just sleep on the ground but I will never go back to a tent.

you are suppose to sleep in a hammock( a Brazilian style) like Eno, amazon, etc... slightly at an angle. otherwise you will have back problems. the way they are designed , it works so much better if you do not lay straight.

meathook

Reaction score
i travelled for 5 months with both a hammock and a sleeping bag, and i only used the hammock once the entire time. then i got pissed walking to the hop out in denver and ditched it by the free box.

Teko

rooted
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Amazon mosquito hammock by Byers.. It's about the size of a..... Well, idk.. It's small.. It weighs one lb.. 40 bucks.. Lightweight and very pack able.. Plus, the mosquito net is nice to have..

Check it out.. Google the hammocks.. I love mine.
that what i used to have, an amazon. its 13 ounces i believe, and i had the micro ropes as well which didnt weight shit. it was a really nice hammock, super light weight, but i am 6'2 and that shit was to small for me to sleep comfortably in, so i got an eno double nest. longer, wider, and i acquired an eno bug net to go with it for stupid cheap. little heavier , but i sleep better and i dont mind that much weight.

Reactions: Everymanalion

urbanflow

Reaction score
hm, sounds like you need a one person tent. i hate using a hammock, it makes my back hurt after a day or so. if you do use the hammock, invest in bug spray. with a sleeping bag you can kinda keep your head under and keep them out, without it they will be biting your face up.
honestly when it rains, and i'm under a tarp it gives me such horrible anxiety that i am going to get wet i can't even sleep, i just find a bridge. i've never been to central america so i guess trying to find cover there is really different. i just hate having a tarp, everything about it, if it's nice enough to the point that water wont seep threw after a while, it's probably gonna weigh just as much as your big sleeping bag.
maybe you should check out bivy sacks.

a bivy and tarp is like pb and j. throwing a hammock in there for the times when you want off the ground is great.

i just like having options haha.

Reaction score
I'm pretty into hammocks, but if it's cold out you'll need a sleeping bag and a pad or some kind of insulation to make up for your body heat compressing the sleeping bag--so you end up carrying even more than what you'd bring if you were sleeping on the ground.

K

kokomojoe

a bivy and tarp is like pb and j. throwing a hammock in there for the times when you want off the ground is great.

i just like having options haha.

I'm probably going to end up getting a hammock with a mosquito net and a bivvy to go along with it. I have a nice camo tarp for when it rains. Would a bivvy be enough insulation with a hammock for when it's cold or would I still need more padding?

iSTEVEi

Reaction score
I got kicked down a USMC Thermarest a while back and haven't had chance to try it out yet. How are they? Are they good on wet ground or will they need a layer underneath it (Tarp/Cardboard) to keep it dry?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads